Fly Fusion Forums

Sunday Spey Casting

toolman

We'll be hitting the Bow again this Sunday afternoon, Nov/09th, to play with the Spey rods/lines and work on the casting skillz. Everyone is welcome to join us. We'll be on river left (east side), across from the Fish Creek Boat Launch, starting around 1:00pm. These informal Spey gatherings are a lot of fun and a great opportunity to try lots of rod/line combo's and meet some of the nice folks in our Spey community...The weather forecast looks good with sunny skies and light winds...

Hope to see you there.

Greg

Greg,

I am right in the middle of changing a six weight four piece 9' 6" Five Rivers Sig v to a 10' 2" Switch Rod with a Removable Fighting Butt, in fact it is all ready to glue up. I have no clue as what line to use or anything else about Swich rods or Spey Rods. Are Switch Rods welcome also??

Thanks,

Dick Seymour

workin OT this weekend will ge ttoo the nextone.. i have a few switch lines u could try dick.. another awsome bet would be the airflow 40+ or loop opti stream line.... bin messing around with em on my switch and i like em.... overhand cast amazing too... beulah also makes a nice switch line.. i got one kickin around and bin using it for the last half year or so before i started messing around with the 40+ and opti lines

Don't forget boys and girls, that @ 1pm we are having a gathering, I know I am bring out the following.

12 1/2 6wt TFO Pro, with my Loop CLW (with matching Belhula Scandi Line)

11 1/2 6/7wt Belhula with my Hatch 9 Plus (I will have my Airflo Scandi line on this)

12 1/2 7/8wt TFO Pro with my Plugher Prisedent reel (One spool will have a Airflo Scandi head on it and the other spool will have my compact skagit, I will also have my Lamson Velocity Hard Alox out as well with my Airflo Delta Mutil tip Mid Belly)

and just cause I like casting it I will also be bring out my TFO TRICX 9' 6wt with my Hatch 5plus and a 40 plus line so people can compare the diffrence between casting a sinle hander and the comfort of a two hander, also the 40+ isn't a bad line for a switch rod if anyone is bring out one.

Hoping to try out some diffrent rods, I know ther is a line or two of greg's that I will be trying out so can't wait.........

Another fabulous day for a Spey party and an excellent turn out. Many thanks to everyone for coming, I had a great afternoon....Always nice to meet new fisherman and I think we converted a few of them to the amazing world of Spey...

Till next time guys...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ready to play...

IMG_5943.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CDone takes a close look at Bowbikers beautifull hand built switch rod...what a little gem of a stick...

Thanks too HAMMERTIME08 for bringing along the great rod rack...

IMG_5924.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The wrap up photo..(L-R)..I hope I get everyones name right...

CDone, mditel, wtforward, bhurt, pokerfish, RusteHookz, Tungsten (back row), timj, Bowbiker, HAMMERTIME08, Cheeler.

IMG_5935.jpg

right on there Toolman...thx for organizing the event,couldn't have picked a better day for it

thx to bhurt for all the help with the spey set-up.....nice to see a positive influence on a great sport

hey if fly fishing is a sport does that make me an athlete?

Hey Spey Guys,

Thanks for a great afternoon out on the Bow, the kind words on my switched out Switch Rod and all the pointers and helpful ideas. Special thanks to Toolman, Bhurt and Cdone(Colin) for all their help. I, too, am looking forward to next time.

I managed one not too bad pic of my converted Switch Rod. It is still not glued up but you can see the extension on the handle and the new fighting butt......9' 6" changed to 10' 2".

IMAG0009.jpg

Great time!!

Dick Seymour

I had a great time out today, it was great to meet some new guys and what a fine day to have a causal get togather on the river.

I really enjoyed looking at Dick's switch rod, what a piece of work one of the most sexiest rods I have EVER seen in my life. and casting it with my 40+ line was a dream.

To everyone that came out remeber, if your not enjoying yourself out on the river then you are not truly fishin.

Today, I was especailly happy to play with my big rods for a change... The Loop Blueline 9140 with a Vision Ace 9/10 Shooting head, was an absolute joy to cast...effortless...like Spey casting should always be...Then, I wired up my Loop Yellow 10150 with a 570 grain Airflo Skagit Compact and that was a hoot as well...I'll try a 600 grain Compact on it, next time out.

Wtforward and I then lined his Loop Multi 7120, with a Vision Ace 7/8 and that was a sweet match too a terrific stick...

I also got an opportunity to try out CDone's, Snowbee Torridge 6126, with matching Snowbee 2D head... very nice trout spey.

Bowbiker, is going to have a ton of fun with that little switch rod of his...too cool.

IMG_5929.jpg

Hey Spey Guys,

Thanks for a great afternoon out on the Bow, the kind words on my switched out Switch Rod and all the pointers and helpful ideas. Special thanks to Toolman, Bhurt and Cdone(Colin) for all their help. I, too, am looking forward to next time.

I managed one not too bad pic of my converted Switch Rod. It is still not glued up but you can see the extension on the handle and the new fighting butt......9' 6" changed to 10' 2".

IMAG0009.jpg

Great time!!

Dick Seymour

Couldn't make this one, family commitments. Curious what blank did you build that one on?

Thanks all....I had a great time giving spey casting a well deserved first go. It was fantastic to try such a variety of fantastic rods...thanks to all the guys who generously allowed me to give it a go with their gear and the helpful and positive coaching to get me shooting line like I have never felt in my hands.

I could not believe how far I was able to bomb out that heavy gear in my first go around. Spey rods are a lot of fun!! I think I am going to look into getting a 7/8 DH rod for when I need to get my gear out there and for some upcoming steelhead/salmon action...also I really enjoyed single handing one of the switch rods that made an appearance and if I can find one in the 4/5/6 range that shoots line like the 7 weight I tried today I will be all over it!!

Again thanks guys for the great afternoon!!

The wrap up photo..(L-R)..I hope I get everyones name right...

Cdone, mditel, wtforward, bhurt, Fred, RusteHookz, Mike, timj, Bowbiker, HAMMERTIME08, Cheeler.

IMG_5935.jpg

I see that you did not mention the wanabe Canadian aka the lone 'Merican aka Rickr?

I can clearly see a rod in his favorite color and noticed he was trashing the equipment guru's in another post. :beating:

I think he is just jealous about not having a mean yellow LONG fishing machine. :whistle:

Couldn't make this one, family commitments. Curious what blank did you build that one on?

Hey Doc,

I am right in the middle of changing a Dan Craft six weight four piece 9' 6" Five Rivers Sig v to a 10' 2" Switch Rod with a Removable Fighting Butt, in fact it is all ready to glue up.

I have a ten foot five weight CTS Affinity One Blank that I didn't quite know what to do with, but I do now, I will be putting a longer handle and removable fighting butt on it also. :ridemcowboy:

Cheers,

Dick Seymour