Fly Fusion Forums

Down South

thefisherking

Its been a busy summer with work with very little time to do any serious fishing, but i finally broke away and made it to one of my favorite lakes down south. I was on the water and fishing by 10:00. The weather was warm with a slight breeze. As i was rigging up my rod, i noticed this tiny frog trying to climb onto my pontoon boat.

DOWNSOUTH007.jpg

I grabbed the camera, snapped a pic, and let him go in the lake. I was watching him swim away thinking, i wonder if the trout eat these little guys, and whamo! a big rainbow came up a smoked him 15 ft away from the pontoon boat. Scared the crap out of me but still one of the coolest takes i have ever seen. As i fished through the day i noticed at least a 100 of these frogs on the lake and the fish were onto them. I tried throwing some big backswimers to try and imitate them, but i had no luck. Anybody on the board ever seen anything like this before? I had a great day fishing besides the fact i had no floating frog patterns. I landed 15 fish losing at least 10 as well. Biggest fish of the day was a 22 inch rainbow, but i lost a couple that were bigger. I also managed to hit the trifecta for this lake for the first time. A rainbow, cuttie, and a brookie.

DOWNSOUTH014.jpg

DOWNSOUTH015.jpg

DOWNSOUTH011.jpg

DOWNSOUTH017.jpg

Nice fish! I would love to find that lake too! Never heard of masses of frogs in AB like that. Maybe a small bass bug with black foam and a little lead wrap to create neutral buoyancy? I'm nowhere near enough of a fly tier to attempt.

..............Anybody on the board ever seen anything like this before? .................

I'm pretty sure I know the lake -- I'd recognize those gorgeous rainbows anytime. I saw a scads of those little frogs (about 3/4" - 1" body) there two weeks ago, and although I watched many of them swimming around, I never saw any taken by fish. It did occur to me though, that they would make a nice mouthfull for a hungry fish, and I have already done some thinking about a fly -- something along the lines of a simple brown sandwich foam body with some knotted rubber legs.

Congrats on the trifecta. If I've got the right lake, the brookies are few and far between -- I've only caught one there in two years. However, I did see a pod of brookies in full spawning colours cruising the shore yesterday.

Terry