Fly Fusion Forums

Spey ???s

Jayhad

So i am going to be heading to the northern west coast next year for a few weeks to fight steelheads. After my trip to the coast this week I have decided I enjoy fly fishing to much to use my drift gear as much now.

So I am thinking a spey rod would be one good way to go. I was thinking a TFO, because I don't want to drop a tonne on this rig to start (under $700 hopefully). Where should I look for research on what type of spey, what line weight, what length.... that type of stuff. Maybe a rod that I could use here to cast big streamers.

Secondly is there someone out there that teaches spey casting once I have my gear, or that would take some time for me to try out a rod or two.... I know huge stretch. I am more then willing to pay someone with $$$ or information on what I know about the coast.

I know it's a ways away but I like to be prepared, well in advance.

Let me know and thanks

So i am going to be heading to the northern west coast next year for a few weeks to fight steelheads. After my trip to the coast this week I have decided I enjoy fly fishing to much to use my drift gear as much now.

So I am thinking a spey rod would be one good way to go. I was thinking a TFO, because I don't want to drop a tonne on this rig to start (under $700 hopefully). Where should I look for research on what type of spey, what line weight, what length.... that type of stuff. Maybe a rod that I could use here to cast big streamers.

Secondly is there someone out there that teaches spey casting once I have my gear, or that would take some time for me to try out a rod or two.... I know huge stretch. I am more then willing to pay someone with $$$ or information on what I know about the coast.

I know it's a ways away but I like to be prepared, well in advance.

Let me know and thanks

This may be better suited to the Spey forum but I'll let a moderator decide that. I am a big fan of the TFO spey rods personally but it's a pretty subjective judgment. I also fish Loop, Sage and Beulah for two handers and love them as well. I think you have the right idea in testing out multiple rods. As for what type, I would base that on the water you are fishing and the time of year you are going. I am sure there are plenty of guys here who would be willing to help you figure out your cast either for pay or for free. My cast is not strong enough to teach from. Toolman often puts together spey nights, dropping by one would give you plenty of opportunity to try new rigs.

al

Just to offer the flip side of the coin from Al, try one of the Dec Hogan Echo rods as well (they carry them at Fish Tales). Al and I frequently fish together - him using his TFO and me with my Decho. Both are excellent rods for the price and the only difference for us is our preference in the way each rod casts. So your casting might be better suited to one of the two rods. Also make sure that you get the right line for whichever rod you choose. The best rod will frustrate you if you don't have it lined properly. Since you want to cast big streamers on the coast, make sure the rod you buy is suited to a Skagit line. I've used a Rio Skagit and Airflo Compact Skagit with a slight personal preference to the Airflo. I think a Loop Multi might also suit your needs, but Maxwell would be a better judge of that since I haven't cast one and don't know the exact price on them. Sage, CND, and Beulah (and I'm sure a few others I'm forgetting) also make some nice spey rods in your price range. They aren't suited to my casting style, but may be suited to yours.

if you live on the coast i would recommend contacting your local fly shop to see if they have and CERTIFIED spey instructors for private instruction. could be a whole lot clearer figuring out the basics. as for rods teh loop mutli would be agreat choice and stongly recommended but teh echo series of spey's and teh tfo are also great rods for there price. you wond need a super pricey stick too start. specially if you are on te coast fishing i would more recommend a better reel. as for lines and weights its hard too say but something in th 12' 6" - 14' range 8/9 would probably be best for most salmon. if you live in calgary i have a few rods you can swing around if you want too meet up some time. jsut drop me a pm! could show you a few things aswell no problem!

Certified you say eh...That's kinda funny...Guess someone better tell Ed Ward (Skagit casting pioneer), Mike Kinney, Francois Blanchett, Gordon Macleod, Scott Mackenzie (3 time world spey casting champion) and all those other great (non certified)Speycasting instructors out there, that they should not be teaching beginners how to cast...Apparently they do not meet up to some peoples standards...

Cheers...

Hey Greg

Not speaking for Max but suggesting 'Certified' is not to the detriment

of the other great casters you mentioned. But the certification does suggest

a peer review from an 'ability to teach' which is as difficult if not more

than the mechanics of spey casting. Not all great golf instructors are

scratch golfers but I would bet they have some sort of professional

certification. Don't you think it helps to legitimatize the instruction.

I think I can show someone something but I don't know if I would

hold my self out as a teacher without some kind of meaningful

certification behind me....but that is just me.

Hope to hear from you on the Spey get together.

Will definetly keep you informed of the next Spey gathering, wtforward. If anyone wants their name added to my Speycasters list, just send me a pm and I'll be sure to notify you in advance of any/all upcoming Spey gatherings, events, workshops, clinics etc., that I will be hosting/organizing.

out tonight for the first time with the switch rod.... soo fun and completely different. I got a beulah 11'6 and i really dig it for nymphing. let me know when you guys have the meet because i could defintly use some instruction.

Certified you say eh...That's kinda funny...Guess someone better tell Ed Ward (Skagit casting pioneer), Mike Kinney, Francois Blanchett, Gordon Macleod, Scott Mackenzie (3 time world spey casting champion) and all those other great (non certified)Speycasting instructors out there, that they should not be teaching beginners how to cast...Apparently they do not meet up to some peoples standards...

Cheers...

Not everyone chooses to get certified, there are alot of really good casters out there now. go to any steelhead river and you will see. but for the guy that is just learning, he doesnt know who ed ward, mike kinney, etc and many others are. so someone who isnt in the know, is better off getting a certified instructor. (that is what certifications are for). and are you comparing yourself to these guys???

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to add a couple of points as regards Certification as a casting instructor, first of all i am not certified as a Speycasting Instructor for a couple of reasons, that i will not go into here.

I have however worked as a guide on the River Spey for thirteen years, attended Speycasting events and done demo's at fly fishing shows on both sides of the pond, and been lucky enough to spend time fishing with some of the worlds best Speycasters, sounds like i am talking about myself to much ....so will stop here.

Scott is Qualified as a casting Instructor by APGAI , the hardest of all the qualifications , Fanky Boy was FFF certified but i believe gave it up, and i cannot speak for the other guys mentioned.

I would have to say that if the qualification is worth anything and by that i mean a high standard, it would be better to get a lesson from that Instructor, but only if the qualification is of a high Standard and not just trying to get more members .

Gordon.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

AHAHAHAHAHAHAh, I was just coming in this section to ask the SAME question for the SAME trip lol. Did you read my mind when we talked on the phone today. Its even down to the same rod that i was going to ask about too.

Toolman, i was wondering if you could rip me a PM when you are setting up this lesson, if you have room for one more.

Jeremy

So now that I have been researching I of course have been getting more questions I can't answer for myself.

Originally I thought any two-handed rod was a "spey" rod.... I am now aware that I was clearly mistaken. So here goes my first questions.

What is the difference between a "switch," a "spey" and a "two-hander"?

What would constitute the appropiate time/water for each?

Two handed fly rods are often refered too as Spey rods, as these rods originated for the most part on the River Spey in the Scotish Highlands. Spey rods typically run from 11' at the shorter end of the scale, too 18' at the long end of the spectrum and typically range from 5wt too 12wt. Shorter spey rods are very suitable for casting from tight banks and can acheive impressive distances with a very short casting stroke, while still having lots of fish fighting power. They are light in hand and are pleasant to fish with all day. Longer Spey rods are of benefit when wading, casting longer distances and for improved line control at distance. The larger a rods line weight, the more mass the line will be able to cast at longer distances. Larger line weight Spey rods also have tons of fish fighting power, especailly rods in short and medium lengths. Spey rods in any length or line weight can perform all types of Spey casts as well as two hand overhead casts. The shorter 11'-12' Spey rods in lighter line weights, can also be cast single handed. The longer Spey rods in the larger line wts. can be tiring to fish with all day, especailly if you are fishing for a number of consecutive days. I personally like to utilize a variety of rod lengths/line weights to suit the fishing needs and conditions at hand, often using two or three different Spey rods/line systems during a day of fishing.

Switch rods were originally developed to bridge the gap from single handed fly rods too short two handed rods, principally for two hand overhead casting when coastal fishing off the beaches with big rigs, sink tips, etc.. Two hand overhead casts are used to keep the line arielized, as ocean waves/shorelines can sometimes make spey casting difficult, as all Spey casts utilize the water to create the line stick/anchor needed to load the rod. Switch rods are often casted Two hand overhead from elevated casting platforms, such as rocky beaches, high banks etc., where spey casting would be very difficult, if not impossible. Spey rods can also be Two hand overhead casted and used in these same environments as well. In Recent years, Switch rods have been developed/improved to be able to perform single or two hand spey casts, as well as single or two hand overhead casts and are available in variety of line weights from 3 wt through too 13 or even 14wt. to fight big, ocean fish. Switch rods typically range in lengths from 10' too 11'6". Many fisherman are now using light Switch rods for trout fishing on larger rivers and for lake fishing, to cast indicator rigs and streamers on sink tips, using Two hand Spey and Two hand Overhead casts, as well as Single hand casting dry flies to the evening hatches. Switch rods are sometimes refered too as one and a half handers and Spey rods are often refered too as two handers. I hope this is helpfull.

After reading this thread, i get a phone call from GAIC (GAME ANGLING INSTRUCTORS COURSE) asking me if i would like to sit the test to be certified as a flycasting Instructor.

Normally its almost impossible to get on this course and i have been on the list for 6 months, but there is a spot for me this winter, so going to grab it, its the course i have been waiting for.

I am intending sitting both the double-handed and single handed courses, so lots of studing for me.

The courses will take 4 MONTHS . yes four months to complete, with loads of different sections to each course, and you must pass every part, if you fail on one section..... you fail the course.

Gordon.

Hi Headcan,

Hope to have both done in 4 Months, double the work for me, but if not at the same time, then yes its 4 months for each.

It really is an intense course , but i have time over the winter, or at least i hope i have time .

There are different levels of Qualification in Flycasting Instruction, you think i would have picked an easier one instead of one of the hardest to pass.

Keep me busy i guess.

Gordo.