Fly Fusion Forums

Spey ???s

Jayhad

After reading this thread, i get a phone call from GAIC (GAME ANGLING INSTRUCTORS COURSE) asking me if i would like to sit the test to be certified as a flycasting Instructor.

Normally its almost impossible to get on this course and i have been on the list for 6 months, but there is a spot for me this winter, so going to grab it, its the course i have been waiting for.

I am intending sitting both the double-handed and single handed courses, so lots of studing for me.

The courses will take 4 MONTHS . yes four months to complete, with loads of different sections to each course, and you must pass every part, if you fail on one section..... you fail the course.

Gordon.

Congratulations Gord and good luck!

Have not had a chance to cast the Opti Z Spey, but they are built on Opti rod blanks, which are outstanding. The Z Spey was designed to be Underhand cast, so they are not to the liking of some traditional style casters who like to use more top hand in the delivery. They are also much heavier then the regular Opti Spey rods in similar lengths and weight classes.

It's been a tough sell for them in North America...

Good luck with the GAIC Certification Gordon.

Since I don't see the Zpeys on the Loop website any more, my guess is that the Loop-Zpey partnership is over and that's why they're so cheap. If you're really interested in that rod and want the first-hand opinion of someone who has cast one you should talk to Brian Niska (Whistler on the board).

Z Spey has had many big name endorsements, including Loop Fishing Tackle who have been promoting and manufacturing the Opti line...Henrik Mortensen was also with Z Spey for a short period of time, but I'm not sure if he still is. The reviews I have read had about the Z Spey Opti Two handers were of mixed opinions on the handles/concept, but most of them loved the action of the blank.

Also, these Loop clearance rods, may not come with the original Loop Lifetime Warranty.

Z Spey has launched its new Switch rod line up with interchangable handles that look pretty cool.

http://www.zpey.no/default.asp

You are correct Toolman they come with no warranty at all. But they are pretty cheap on ebay, direct from Loop. I don't think I'll take the risk on such a radical rod design that gets little media coverage. My research on the Zpey hasn't been as positive as the TFOs.

Hi Guys,

The Z Spey was a disaster, never sold and thats why they are on E:Bay going for next to nothing, when i was at the CLA gamefair the Z Spey stand was empty.

Its a bit like a concept car that should never have made it to production, and when it was a concept loads of Ghillie's and guides said no thanks, but they did it anyway, they have tried to get some of the top Speycasting Instuctors involved and most have turned the job down.

I don't think they have sold more than a couple of dozen on the whole of the UK, and boy have they thrown some money at it.

Gordon.

You are correct Toolman they come with no warranty at all. But they are pretty cheap on ebay, direct from Loop. I don't think I'll take the risk on such a radical rod design that gets little media coverage. My research on the Zpey hasn't been as positive as the TFOs.

I think it would depend on your budget. The TFO rods are great an I fish my Deer Creek a lot. Loop and a few other manufacturers produce gorgeous rods. I'm just working on a Miser Highlander. Depends what you want and what your future use will be. Hard to own just one Spey rod.

I'm sure there is something to the science of Z Spey or we likely would not have seen so many big names endorse this product, putting their reputations on the block. Has it been a tough sell, of course, but it does not mean that these rods are not high performance sticks. Just that they are not a big seller. In my view, any Spey rod built on an Opti blank is already amongst the best money can buy, regardless of the type of bottom handle.

Hi guys,

sorry to chime in late here as I just returned from a month up north fishing and doing spey schools and a couple of hosted trips.

It is true that the Opti blank is among the finest casting two handers ever produced. Ultra light, super quick, mega powerful and so responsive that they really aren't the ideal rod for the beginning caster. Personally I love this rod action and the 8124 and 9132 are the two rods I have been fishing the most for Steelhead and Chinook Salmon. The optis have been priced at close to a grand for the past year, however as of the end of this month the suggested retails on the optis have been slightly relaxed. As an example my favourite 12'4" #8 now retails for $775 making it an exceptional value for the experienced caster looking for the finest in two handed performance. For most casters the Loop Multi is a better choice, its forgiving action allowing novice and intermediate speycasters the ability to grow with their new rod. The multi features similar cosmetics to the optis and its fast recovering tip and deep loading action ioffers amazing versatility for anglers looking for a top end rod that can move seamlessly from skagit to scandi to modern traditional. The Multi really can do it all for casters of all ability levels and with a price tag of $560 (13' #8) it is easily the best spey rod value out there.

As for Z spey it is true that Loop was involved in the early stages producing some opti models. For a varity of reasons that I cannot go into in this public forum Loop chose to end this relationship last year and as such it is possible to purchase these z spey sticks for a significant discount. If you would like more info please feel free to call me at 1-888-822-3474.

As for certification I really think it is a must when looking for a qualified two handed instructor. Here is an updated list of FFF certified two handed instructors, those with the MCI designation are also certified as single hand master level instructors.

http://speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=30233

Francois and myself will be out in Calgary in the new year for the fly show. If the weather looks tolerable(Chinook)perhaps we could organize a small school. Other than that if anyone would like some on the water instruction BC is just a short trip west.Lots of fresh Chum and Coho Salmon around these days too if you would like more than casting practice.

I would love to tell you all that it is great to be back after spending every day of the last month knee deep in Steelhead wonderland but the reality of it is getting caught up on work just isnt as much fun. Then again I shouldn't complain as ocean fresh Salmon are only 30 minutes away.

Hope to talk to some of you guys soon,

Brian