Fly Fusion Forums

Official Oilers 2008/2048 Season Thread

What a sweet weekend to be an Oilers fan. That win last night proves that we have entered a new era of Oilers hockey, this is a great team. The last 2 seasons of mediocrity are going to be long forgotten soon.

Knock knock

who's there?

Owen.

Owen who?

OWEN THREE since you posted that! LOLOLOL

GO FLAMES GO!

0 and 2 actually, and still higher in the standings than the flames, with one less game played :P

By the way fellow Oil fans, it seems like MacT has got out the blender and will be icing completely different lines Saturday. Nilsson will take Cole's spot on the top line, Penner will take Nilsson's on the 2nd line, and Cole falls to the 3rd line, and gets back to his natural wing. Should be an interesting night, Nilsson and Hemsky alone have more offensive skill than all of the Canucks forwards combined B)

Hey Terry

How are the standings looking now???

Oilers 4-2-0

Flames 3-3-1

BOA

Oilers 2

Flames 0

Freaking Flames fans!!!!!!!!!

Chris, a suggestion -- we continue this discussion at the end of the season :). Terry

LMFAO! ok my joke is now correct... <--poke--< Hahahaha!

Yeah now your burn works :P

I didn't think it was as bad a game last night as the score suggests. For some reason Garon has looked like a back-up again for the last 2 games. There's 3 points separating top and bottom in the division and plenty of time to get back to winning. Although this schedule might hurt them early, with only 3 home games in November and 5 back-to-back pairs of games.

Garon is a career Backup goalie.... thats why he looks like one.

there will be no emergence of greatness, sorry Oiler fan.

You mean like Kipper was before Sutter gave him a shot in Calgary?

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that Garon WILL have better stats than Kipper by the end of this season.

Well, Garon already DOES have better stats than Kipper, but I keep reminding myself, and everyone else for that matter, that the season is only two weeks old. Can't predict who is going to do what just yet. Vancouver looked awesome in the pre-season, then started off strong vs. the fLAMES winning both games, then went on a three game slide. Edmonton went on a 4-0-0 to start the season and are currently in a three game slide themselves.

Same could be said for Colorado too. Started out 0-3-0 but are now 5-3-0 and second in the division.

Northwest division is as strong as it ever has been, and looks like its going to continue to be that way. Everyteam is .500 or better, and as snake said, only three points seperating top from bottom. Going to be a GREAT season.

So far as the last game goes, I will say this. Nillson looked AWESOME on the first line, and Cole was born to play right wing. By FAR his best game of the season to date, and it SUCKS that he was kicked out by a stupid rlue about his jersey not being tied down. Losing him and then strudwick, forcing them to play with only five defensemen and double shifting a forward on right wing, sure made things difficult on them near the end. Still a good game to watch, but Garon should have had a couple of those he let in......maybe he's more like Kipper than we think. :P

Yeah Nilsson looks awesome, he's probably as skilled as Hemsky and he thinks the game so well too.

I don't know what MacT was thinking, playing Cole on the wrong wing until last night - he looked dangerous on every shift till he was booted.

MacIntyre was a great pick-up, all he needs is a couple minutes of ice time to make a huge hit or two and k.o. some unfortunate player in a fight.

Yeah Nilsson looks awesome, he's probably as skilled as Hemsky and he thinks the game so well too.

I don't know what MacT was thinking, playing Cole on the wrong wing until last night - he looked dangerous on every shift till he was booted.

MacIntyre was a great pick-up, all he needs is a couple minutes of ice time to make a huge hit or two and k.o. some unfortunate player in a fight.

Yeah, I was questioning the MacIntyre move until that last game against Calgary. Then I realized why they picked him up.

That guy looks like a bull in a china shop.... I love it. He sure handed that poor 'nuck a good a$ whippin. And the hit that started it was clean.

Total hijack here.. but that's okay cause i'm an Oilers fan in an Oilers thread..

Did you guys hear about the Mythbusters episode where they actually let a bull loose in a china shop?!? The damn thing went through the whole place and didn't touch nothing! LoL

Just to compare Garon and kipper in basically there first seasons as the primary starter, both in the 2005-06 season. Both have been in thleague for 7 seasons. I know the games played are different, etc etc... but this is why Kipper isnt considered a backup anymore and Garon still is. If Garon has a season like this... He's the man! (although still respectable numbers by Garon)

Year Team League GP W L T Min GA SA SO GAA Sv%

Garon

2005-06 Los Angeles NHL 63 31 26 3 3446 185 1738 4 3.22 .894

Kipper

2005-06 Calgary NHL 74 42 20 11 4380 151 1951 10 2.06 .923

I see now that it doesn't line up.. ahh well.

Total hijack here.. but that's okay cause i'm an Oilers fan in an Oilers thread..

Did you guys hear about the Mythbusters episode where they actually let a bull loose in a china shop?!? The damn thing went through the whole place and didn't touch nothing! LoL

LOL.. I gotta find that episode, that'd be funny.

Just to compare Garon and kipper in basically there first seasons as the primary starter, both in the 2005-06 season. Both have been in thleague for 7 seasons. I know the games played are different, etc etc... but this is why Kipper isnt considered a backup anymore and Garon still is. If Garon has a season like this... He's the man! (although still respectable numbers by Garon)

Year Team League GP W L T Min GA SA SO GAA Sv%

Garon

2005-06 Los Angeles NHL 63 31 26 3 3446 185 1738 4 3.22 .894

Kipper

2005-06 Calgary NHL 74 42 20 11 4380 151 1951 10 2.06 .923

I see now that it doesn't line up.. ahh well.

Yeah, that's all fine and dandy, but that was three seasons ago, and the Kings sucked then. Hell, they still do.

Goalies are only as good as the team in front of them. If they can steal a game or two, that's great, but if the team hangs them out to dry, then they are :$*%&:

Hey - great Game Edmonton. Best performance in 4 games - took all the way to overtime for you to lose. Too bad about those penalties in overtime.

Say, did you guys happen to catch the absurdity in the Ottawa game. Apparently one of Buffalo's superstars (Weber) hit one of the Senators lesser players (think his name was Alfredsson or something). Anyway - right after, Mike Fisher goes after Weber and starts a fight. Here's the absurd part. Bufallo did not get a 9 minute power play, even though that seems to be the standard call for this play according to the non biased oiler fans. In fact, the Sens ended up with the power play. Something wrong here, cause the same thing happened in Phoenix the other night with Carcillo jumping in to protect Mueller after Giordano hit him with a clean check. Calgary also did not get the prescribed 9 minute power play - the standard punishment for this offence.