Fly Fusion Forums

Official Flames 2008/2043 Seasons Thread

1.Does anyone agree that the Flames are slow, lacking in skills and coached in a system of dump and grind that is easily beaten with a faster skilled team?

2.Does anyone else agree that this team needs to be dumped totally except for Bourque and Gio?

3A.Does anyone really think we can blame our woes on officiating? 3B. Come playoffs...does anyone think we can step it up?

I hear Sutter has the team running drills on endurance...rather than skills. The team would be better off at their age to save their energy for the game and instead practice passing and skating skills. If they passed better...they would work less chasing pucks like dogs chasing butterflies...

IMHO

1.Yes

2.Pretty much

3A.No-Flames fans on this board complaining about reffing are approaching the level of "pathetic-ness" as Leafs fans are in general just by association with Toronto.

3B. What playoffs? You meant the draft lottery, right? :D

:P

Smitty

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.Yes

2.Pretty much

3A.No-Flames fans on this board complaining about reffing are approaching the level of "pathetic-ness" as Leafs fans are in general just by association with Toronto.

3B. What playoffs? You meant the draft lottery, right? :D

:P

Smitty

The Flames are really bad and reffing is sapping the fun out of watching hockey period.

If they are gonna bank on Bourque being a major cog in the core of the team, be prepared for lots of frustration in the form of injuries, inconsistent play, and long stretches of games where he is a non-factor...

ps. they are looking alright so far tonite up 4-1.

As a good friend of mine said, "I belive that sin years past the flames have started out very strong only to *hit the bed in the last half, Now that we *hit the bed in the first half maybe we will crush in the second half"

Still a loyal flames fan and will still cheer for them no matter what. Last year and this year sure was a disappointment but I will take these two years instead of the 90's when we couldn't make playoffs for ten years.

As I see it, it looks like the Flames are trying way too hard to win instead of just playin hockey, I could be wrong but after coach football for 11 years at diffrent age levels I would see this. I think the flames need to start playin hockey instead of winning games, the wins will come.

Is it just me or are 90% of flames fans bandwagon jumpers? When they are playing good they are the best but when they are playin bad its time to change the whole entire team. For me I cheer for the flames regardless to who is on the team, I'm a loyal fan. Also I do not cheer for any other team, its all flames for me and nothing else.

As a good friend of mine said, "I belive that sin years past the flames have started out very strong only to *hit the bed in the last half, Now that we *hit the bed in the first half maybe we will crush in the second half"

Still a loyal flames fan and will still cheer for them no matter what. Last year and this year sure was a disappointment but I will take these two years instead of the 90's when we couldn't make playoffs for ten years.

As I see it, it looks like the Flames are trying way too hard to win instead of just playin hockey, I could be wrong but after coach football for 11 years at diffrent age levels I would see this. I think the flames need to start playin hockey instead of winning games, the wins will come.

Is it just me or are 90% of flames fans bandwagon jumpers? When they are playing good they are the best but when they are playin bad its time to change the whole entire team. For me I cheer for the flames regardless to who is on the team, I'm a loyal fan. Also I do not cheer for any other team, its all flames for me and nothing else.

Yes..They are unknowledgeable bandwagon jumpers

So Flames fans, is this a good move? Is Feaster a suitable replacement?

Some advice to the Flames organization: try finishing dead last. Having the opportunity to pick talent like Taylor Hall has done wonders for the Oiler organization. With him, Eberle, Paajarvi, and Omark, this city is completely re-energized about the Oilers.

I can tell you for the first time in a long time, a lot of long time Oiler fans don't care what our record is right now, because there is so much hope on the horizon: we're like the Blackhawks from 4 years ago.

Worst thing Flames - and the Oilers - could do is try to salvage the season and finish 9th in the conference. That doesn't do any good. Either make the playoffs or finish dead last.

Smitty

Guest Sundancefisher

SUTTER QUITS!

http://www.calgarysun.com/sports/myflames/...8/16690556.html

will this make a difference?

Only if they don't go with a Sutterite clone. They have to change the style and chemistry of the play...make the transition this year and start ditching salaries and players... Maybe we can actually get something for them as the playoffs approach for some...

Was surprised at first but after I thought about it I wasn't too surprised, in any pro sport when the team is doing very bad the GM or Head Coach is usally the first to go. I personally think Daryl Sutter is a much better coach then he is GM, but that is just my opion.

I don't think you'll see much of a change, maybe some at trade deadline but nothing to big, lets be realistic here, we hear alot of time need faster younger players, so if we try to trade our Older players away at the trade deadline you think other teams are going to pick up a oldder slower player for draft picks? Unless the player is a superstar which I can only think of three maybe four players on Calgary that would fit into the catagory, then we will not get much, but that is just my own opion and who knows what will happen.

I also think that there are some players that the flames must keep but of course there are alot that they can get ride of.

Regardless to what happens with the flames I will always be a flames fan and will always cheer for them regardless to who is on the team or who is in charge or coaching, Flames Fan For Life.

• 2 weeks later...

so who thinks they have a shot at the playoffs? too little too late? are we just going to finish in 10th or 9th again and get a bad draft pick again (do we even have one this year??)

If our draft pick for next draft is traded away (wouldn't suprise me with all sutter's bad moves, he was a good coach but a TERRIBLE gm...) if the pick isnt there go for the playoff spot it cant hurt... if we do get a pick, TANK IT NOW BOYS you suck and your best efforts barely beat a hapless leafs team last night. I love the flames to death but they are going to have to suck rottenly for a few years here and rebuild through the draft. The window for this team has closed. Too old, too slow now...

This is the mess that Sutter left Feaster. He has nothing to work with for a few years. No prospects, no 2nd or3rd pick in 2011 and most of the current tean signed for next year with no move contracts and nudging the salary cap.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=9

Enjoy this year as it's gonna get worse!!

so who thinks they have a shot at the playoffs?

Oh wow. Really? Even a "shot of the playoffs"?

Lets do the math. Most analysts are pegging the playoff cutoff point at 95 points.

Right now the Flames have 45 points.

They have 37 games left. That is a maximum 74 points up for grabs.

The Flames need 50 of those points.

That's basically a winning percentage of 65%.

AND leapfrog 6 teams for 8th spot.

It ain't happening.

Best thing Flames can do is tank the season, have an asset sale - assuming they can get a bunch of no trade clauses waived - and go for the number 1 pick for a few years (unless they've traded them away??)

Unlike the Oilers, who actually have the BEST circumstances right now. With top players like Horcoff, Eberle, and Whitney out, the Oilers record is worse than it really would, could, or should be. And yet, we suck so bad that we have a legitimate shot at a top 2 pick. So I hope those 3 players stay on the shelf for the season, we can grab another top prospect, and then have an explosion of improvement over the next few years. Like McDonald's, I'm lovin' it!

Worst thing we could do is try some valiant, hopeless effort to get respectable this season. Yay for 29th or 30th!

Sorry, I digress. Back to the Flames. Yeah, they still suck.

Smitty

not watching the oilers regularly but why in the hell are they doing so poorly with all the young talent? goaltending? defence? what is it? thought they'd be a lot better this year. hard to believe they're behing the flames given the raw talent they have.

the flames still have their first round pick this year right? better for them to clean house (assuming they can unload sutter's stooopid contracts - staios anyone? stajan? kipper?) and crash and burn and get a high pick. maybe with feaster they'll actually pick an nhl player for a change.

• 4 weeks later...
anyone going to the game tomorrow?

-7.. should be a chilly one!

i'm sitting section x row 37. wayyy out there..

I'll be the guy decked out in all the canadiens swag i can find

-7??? Pffffffffft!

<--poke--<

Suck it up princess! I was at the original one in Edmonton. That was frickin' cold. Still drank a beer though.

Should of guessed a Canadiens fan could be so wimpy. :flames: At least the Calgarians are used to the ridiculous wind tunnel otherwise known as Mcmahon...

:)

Smitty

:flames: At least the Calgarians are used to the ridiculous wind tunnel otherwise known as Mcmahon...

:)

Smitty

Spoken like a true eskimo fan.... Anyways it should be a good game not as good if it was Calgary vs Edmonton, that would of made a great Hertigae classic game.

Spoken like a true eskimo fan.... Anyways it should be a good game not as good if it was Calgary vs Edmonton, that would of made a great Hertigae classic game.

I would tend to agree if it were held 10 -15 years ago when the rivalry meant something.

The bigger rivalry right now is Calgary/Vancouver. They just friggin hate each other.

I would still rather have seen an Edmonton/Calgary game back in 03 or even now. Just sayin

I would tend to agree if it were held 10 -15 years ago when the rivalry meant something.

The bigger rivalry right now is Calgary/Vancouver. They just friggin hate each other.

I would still rather have seen an Edmonton/Calgary game back in 03 or even now. Just sayin

Both teams(Flames & Oilers) are looking pretty good right now; probably woulda made for a fun game.

Since I was in Edmonchuk yesterday, I actually watched the Oilers game. Figured it was game over when they went down 3-1 early in the third; then, young Mr. Hall put the team on his shoulders & scored 3 straight goals for the win! Good for him!

Now, back to our regularly scheduled Flames thread...

:wave_smile: GO FLAMES GO!!! :wave_smile:

Both teams(Flames & Oilers) are looking pretty good right now; probably woulda made for a fun game.

Since I was in Edmonchuk yesterday, I actually watched the Oilers game. Figured it was game over when they went down 3-1 early in the third; then, young Mr. Hall put the team on his shoulders & scored 3 straight goals for the win! Good for him!

Now, back to our regularly scheduled Flames thread...

:wave_smile: GO FLAMES GO!!! :wave_smile:

Lucky bastard!

I would have loved to have been at that game!

Most impressive thing about that hat trick was that they were all power play goals! And, to top it off, it was a Natural Hat Trick too.