Fly Fusion Forums

Potential Alberta Record Bull Trout

Four years ago i had my rod snapped about an inch up from the cork by the biggest Bull i had ever seen, this bull had some distictive markings/scars. I have returned to that same peice of water for the last 3 years over the same two week window hoping to see him pull through. No luck. As mature Bull trout spawn only every few years and less as they get older the old boy pulled in 5 day's late and 4 years later.

It was him, unfortunatley my camera man was in B.C. on another project. My buddy trev was with me but all i had was my little pentax optio camera and my 6 wt for cutts.

it would have to do...

The massive fish took a glow bead double bunny i had tied for just this occasion. Right in the kype, i held him in the main pool for awhile but then he took off downstream like a torpedo. Tried many times in vain to net him with my little homemade sling, but eventually he came to hand. I just sat there and stared at it, stunned. The length and girth measurment estimate it around 22 pounds which would make it a new alberta record. No tape measure pics lol i measured it with peices of tippett. 35 3/4 inches long 21.5 inch girth. since they don't issue records without the proper documentation it will have to be recorded as my own personal victory. i thought i would share it with my peeps from the board .

It will only be on youtube for a short while so watch it while you can.

Many more movies on their way. 22 in fact. Could be awhile tho,

I only edit when the mountain rivers close and the mountain lakes freeze over. we are still a month away

hope you enjoy!!!

the Humblefisherman

thanks everyone it was a high point in my life forsure.

To answer your question Lynn. I was just glad that somebody was there with me to experience it with me (hold the camera lol). No "record" is worth the life of an old fish like that. I caught the fish, i know i caught it. I have a picture and some vid, i get to share with all of you. To me that is a great thing. We also know that the old beast is still out there in better shape than it would of been if i had hung it on a scale which is very hard on a big fish like that. i guess my opinion is Record Shmekard.

thanks everyone it was a high point in my life forsure.

To answer your question Lynn. I was just glad that somebody was there with me to experience it with me (hold the camera lol). No "record" is worth the life of an old fish like that. I caught the fish, i know i caught it. I have a picture and some vid, i get to share with all of you. To me that is a great thing. We also know that the old beast is still out there in better shape than it would of been if i had hung it on a scale which is very hard on a big fish like that. i guess my opinion is Record Shmekard.

That's awesome - I applaud you for your great catch and your great attitude. I think (and hope!) I would feel the exact same way

He wasn't by any chance tagged was he? Sure as hell looks like a fish I know :)

If he was tagged can ya PM me the tag number so we can compare dates caught and actual size of the fish? I believe I may have got this beast in 2004, somewhere OTHER than where your at *grin*

Simply spectacular fish. :)