Fly Fusion Forums

Wading Socks Smelly

The smell in my waders after three or four days is a noxious mix of wet, sour, ripe, and dead all rolled into one and left in the sun for a few days. It's enough to kill a man.

The best cure is to turn the waders inside out and hand wash them in the tub with a mild detergent. An old dish brush does a nice job of getting out any stubborn dirt. Rinse them really really well and let them dry.

A nice alternative if you don't want to go to all that effort is to dry them and throw a good handful of baking soda into each leg.

neoprene holds odor really well, even if you wash it and dry it and the smell seems to have gone away as soon as it gets wet you're back to square one. That's my experience. Don't ever leave that stuff rolled up in wet ball in your garage. Once that smell sets in it's time for some new stuff I figure.

I've used a drop or 2 of clove oil to mask the smell, but you really need to wash them with a mild detergent... unless your fishing has been lucky, then leave'em be.

Thank-you for all your replies.. Last night I tried 1 cup of white vinagar 6 cups of water, left to soak all night in the sink, this morning I wrong them out to dry outside all day today, my socks are ok, just that " tweek " of smell... Which I can live with.. My fishing has been great! (Touch me head) Don't want to change it. I don't understand why they went like that, they were ok. I was on my holidays at the Crow last week I never used them I had them there. I started to wear my neoprene the first time this year.. I always wet wade.. Anyways they are packed away for this season till next year..

Thanks again..

Wash with a mid detergent to get clean, then wet em down with baking soda and water, works great. Whien i had neoprene i would fill em with warm water and add a box of baking soda. also works.

Best is to give the waders and boots a rinse with a hose after every outing when you get back home. Also adds to the life of the products.

not sure if this would work

but instead of baking soda, try coffee grounds. old indian trick i heard of, that they used on coolers after their salmon catch. been using this technic on my camper fridge to keep it fresh and it seems to work. smells alittle like coffee, but better than other things.

After many days this summer hiking in and out of canyons, walking a crap load of miles and the biggie - fishin at the *%* hole, My waders are pretty freakin nasty!

Hi,

I looked at my smelly soaks again,this morning I thought they were ok.. but they still have that smell. Not as bad as they were or it could be my sniffer, I know I have a really good nose for smells. I did the BS wash, soft detergent wash & vinegar. My winter neoprenes are good as gold, I smelt them tonight and they are ok. Thank-God.. washing them in the tub would of been a chore!

Anyways, thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, My wading soaks are smelly.. What is the best way to get that smell out.... Has anyone had this happen to them and what have they done...

Thank-you.

The latest I've read on this subject is........ wash your booties or your feet.. in Vodka.... ya no kidding.... neat-o..... I've not tried it, but what the hell!!!!

The latest I've read on this subject is........ wash your booties or your feet.. in Vodka.... ya no kidding.... neat-o..... I've not tried it, but what the hell!!!!

sounds like a waste of vodka to me - but I did see that on Myth busters and it proved to be about the best way to get smell out and they confirmed it to be true