Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For Feedback On A Fundraising Idea For Stream Watch

I think you just need to check into the start/end area get your number and then have someone check your camera to make sure the memory card is empty. If it’s empty mark it with a marker check off there name and when you return hand in your card with your evidence. Time stamps on and you can fish anywhere in Alberta as long as you can check back in at X time at X location.

Prizes for species, size, numbers ECT.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be fun...couple concerns though:

-As this grows, I see the logistics getting crazy. Why not focus on the fun and honor code. For example, run it as a 'one fly' competition. You get one (or 2) flies for the day, when it's gone, you're done. Make sure you pick the right fly (there's actually lots of strategy to this). You got limited hours to fish, and you can walk and wade, or float if you want. All results are based on the honour code.

There is a competition done like this on the Bow (or use to be) and it was a great fundraiser. There were never any concerns with people cheating as everyone was there for a good time and to raise some money. Add a social in the evening (silent acution), presentations, etc.

Simpler the better is how I see it, with a focus on fun and the social after.

This is the way it should be done, just like the Bow River Masters (which raises a ton of money for the Childrens Wish every year).. A one fly competition is far better then doing anything fancy. Make a 3 person team, every angler gets one fly of each type, plus an alternate (one dry, streamer, nymph, and an alternate of whatever). That's all you get all day, and can only fish one fly at a time. Let them fish the way they want (wading, boat, whatever). You meet at a specific location at the start of the day, get everyone going and meet for dinner somewhere when the day is over to compare.

The Masters works because its more about having fun and getting the kids money, then who is catching the most fish. There are no judges involved, the anglers count the fish caught.

The problem is when someone is more concerned with proving himself to be the greatest angler in calgary, then making money for charity. Suddenly the whole idea of charity is out the window, and it's a horn blowing competition and people won't be having fun (or will cheat, to make it seem like they're superior to everyone else). For example, see the fourth post on this thread, how a charity event turns into "I will WIN it". I'm sure it's on the minds of many, that this angler has an intention to win, whether being honest or not.

Other then that, i'm sure i could make a team of guys that will have fun, and catch a lot of fish

:thumbdown:

The problem is when someone is more concerned with proving himself to be the greatest angler in calgary, then making money for charity. Suddenly the whole idea of charity is out the window, and it's a horn blowing competition and people won't be having fun (or will cheat, to make it seem like they're superior to everyone else). For example, see the fourth post on this thread, how a charity event turns into "I will WIN it". I'm sure it's on the minds of many, that this angler has an intention to win, whether being honest or not.

Other then that, i'm sure i could make a team of guys that will have fun, and catch a lot of fish

Yeah right.... :thumbdown:

You're talking crap pal...You might want to watch that loud mouth of yours...It has definetly crossed the line.

Gee - reminds me of kids sports now - all about charity and just having fun. If it is just about charity, brown why not just go fishing like any other day and then write a check?

Nothing wrong with competition - unless of course you're on the publicly funded Canadian Olympic team. How many golf tourneys you been in lately where there weren't a mix of people that were competetive and in it to win and those that were just having fun - no trouble with having both. So just make sure you have some prizes for "kindest most gentlemanly politically correct liberal" and the "baddest ass fisherman". (I'll PM you with the spelling of my name if you want to get the engraving for the latter done before we head out). As for the former, based on comments I've seen on the board - competition will be stiff (or is that limp?)

I agree with Toolman and the above, I have absolutely no problem with it being a competitive event that is also for charity. I also love the golfing comparison, if anyones been in a charity golf event everyone knows its about having fun for a good cause, but some of those prizes are pretty attractive and bring out some good competition as well, and you know what....there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Sure there will always be people, whatever sport or activity you may participate in that take things to far and are dishonest, not just in fishing, but I think we have a pretty good community here in Calgary and one that as a whole will stand up and take part in a great event and make the most of it, and have a fun competitive time doing it for a great cause.

i agree with Pythagoras prizes should be a draw and if there is a first second third place it should go on an annual trophy....maybe displayed at the yearly fly fishing expo to raise awareness for the event........by the way kids with pet fish??!!!!!! thats crazy talk, there is no one on here with pet fish!!!!??????. :rolleyes:

Trophy winner for the biggest taped fish over two days, and maybe the team with the most fish ... trophy to be handed down every year. The winner there gets a prize, must be verified and picture with tape, etc. The rest of prizes could be random draws.

I like the idea. sometimes competition brings out the best in people. I love friendly competition..

but...sometimes, it brings out the worst... too... I've seen guys lose their heads over FRIENDLY competitions... like golf, fishing, etc.

Random draws for prizes....that way the kids who have a couple big browns targeted and catch them every week will not have an advantage and the newbies will also have a chance for a prize.

Thus the draw for zones that would be random, rather than just a free for all.

Also, as I said in the original post, the prizes would most likely be minimal, with the intent to raise money for the Program. Most, if not all donations would be put up for auction to raise money.

The input is great though, but believe it or not, I've had a lot of negative input as well, so I'm going to give it another week or so and decide if this is something that is actually a good idea or not.

The competition aspect seems to be a problem with a number of people, along with the very strong opinions on how it should be run.

Regardless, keep the ideas coming. Here as well as via PM's.

Again, I apologize if my inbox is full. I'm still getting a ton of PM's slamming me for my opinions on the Classified Waters thread.... :$*%&:

....about this close [---] to just moving on......

I'd be in only if the teams were randomly drawn. That way, I might get to fish someone far superior to me. They wouldn't be holding back any secrets and be motivated to get me into more fish. A hell of a learning experience. More people would enter because of that chance.

HawgStopper, Toolman and MTB as a team, you might as well go home.

There would be no way in hell I would participate if the teams were done by a draw, cause I would not want to spend the day out on the river with someone I did not like, I would end up drowning the person. I would rather just hand in a small donation and go fish with people that I enjoy fishing with.

For me I don't really give a damn if I win or not, afterall it is about raising money for Streamwatch and not who is the best on the river. After reading some of these post it seems to me that this is beeing lost and people are beeing more focus on "Prizes", "Who is better", "Random Teams", "Rules", etc...

Who really gives a *hit about these things, the intent on this as I saw it was to bring the community togather and raise money for a worthy cause. So I suggest that we focus more on the causes an less on our own self intrest.

For me I don't really give a damn if I win or not.

the intent on this as I saw it was to bring the community togather and raise money for a worthy cause.

I think most people would agree.

Random draws would make it less competitive, imho. I'm more interested in learning then winning. You don't learn as much fishing with the same people day after day. Even someone not as good or experienced can teach you one or two things (at least thats what I've found). And it also would go farther in bringing the community together.

There are only two people on this board I wouldn't want to share the river with and if I was partnered with them, I could always go in a different direction.

I only suggested it because I though it would increase the number of particpants and therefore the donations, not because a stacked team would lessen my chance of winning.

how about a holdem tourney ,50$ each all moneys to goto stream watch ,we could all bull *hit about fishing while we play ,winner gets a flyrod or something .or maybe a one day tourney at lake newell 50 boats max ,largest pike wins , a large lake like newell could handle it ,fly fish only of course.

For me I don't really give a damn if I win or not, afterall it is about raising money for Streamwatch and not who is the best on the river. After reading some of these post it seems to me that this is beeing lost and people are beeing more focus on "Prizes", "Who is better", "Random Teams", "Rules", etc...

Who really gives a *hit about these things, the intent on this as I saw it was to bring the community togather and raise money for a worthy cause. So I suggest that we focus more on the causes an less on our own self intrest.

Thanks Brad....It appears that an event, or the idea for an event like this, with the intent of doing something good can show people's true colors. I should post a few of the PM's I've received to show the intelligence level of some people.

I hope this thing can happen for the people that "get it", but from what I've been faced with already, I'm not sure.

Brett,

Don't sweat the small things, do it the way YOU want to, and if someone doesn't like it, TUFF LUCK.

This EVENT is to raise money for the Stream Watch program, and nothing else, once you bring in prizes into the mix it then takes away from the whole purpose of the event, not opposed to a trophie though.

Also, the rules should be nice and simple, stay to the regs, fish where you want to, form YOUR OWN TEAMS, and most of all have fun. If someone wants to cheat just to get the trophie, well fine if it means that much whippy ****in dooo, just remeber, people are not stupid and karma will come back to get you.

At the end there should be a bar-b-q for the particapants, to come back and do some BS'in. Maybe have a small silent actuion and some raffle prizes.

All donations go to the Stream Watch Program.

There nice and easy (lots of planing and organizing yes, but this is what it should be about!)

Oh btw Brett if you just have two teams still do it cause somethin is better then nothing.

How bout on the day of the thing, a random draw from a hat. you either get an "A" or a "B". that's your team for the day. A's can go fish with B's, and can count eachothers fish. Total most fish caught team gets to sit around while the losing team has to cook the supper. Done deal... everybody wins and it would still be a lot of fun. Thje winning team gets to boast and puff out their chests while the losers cook. All in good fun...

Thanks Brad....It appears that an event, or the idea for an event like this, with the intent of doing something good can show people's true colors. I should post a few of the PM's I've received to show the intelligence level of some people.

I hope this thing can happen for the people that "get it", but from what I've been faced with already, I'm not sure.

Brett,

Please don't post any of my PMs. I don't want anyone to know what I'm really like.

I agree with Brad. Do it however you want. A few folks will complain however you put it together. Don't worry about it (easy for me to say!)

OK, Brett. great idea dependant on the date and cost i'm all for it.

but through all the Bitchin about rules and teams and blah blah blah the one and most Important question has not been asked.

Will this be a DRY Banquet, BYOB type thing, or will there be a bar and how much will the drinks be.

come on now Lads, wheres the priorities huh?

Teck

but through all the Bitchin about rules and teams and blah blah blah the one and most Important question has not been asked.

Will this be a DRY Banquet, BYOB type thing, or will there be a bar and how much will the drinks be.

Teck

Aswome point, I say BYOB

Teck

'bout time someone got to the heart of this discussion.

Missin:

Just wanted to repeat my pm to you and say don't let the negativity stop you from doing something this good.

I think that the wisest course for the first time, inaugural event, the focus should be entirely on fun, maybe entirely so.

(Especially given the topics lately, eh ;) )

As you've said, the point is moula$ for StreamWatch, so I think its best to spend your time, energy, and effort on that focus.

There is a way - I am just throwing this out there - to have a friendly competition that still emphasizes fun first. I think there are 3 critical points:

1) Teams must be random, unquestionably so. If not, then, like golf, some sort of general broad system (like a handicap) of making sure the skilled anglers are not all stacked on one team.

2) One way to reward the "first place" team while still giving everyone a chance to win, is to make sure the prizes are random draw, but you could reward the top teams by having multiple entries, so that they get slightly better odds. They still only get one prize, so if they get drawn multiple times, they can "trade-up" on their prizes, if they choose.

3) Make the prizes fun - if you have expensive prizes that are actually worth something (or alot), then you risk the chance of people getting a little crazy.

I have done a few of these events, and the above works fairly well.

I hope this goes through, I hope I can participate.

Smitty

Oh, and a little booze fuelled debauchery as fine with me. ;)

Smitty,

I am confused by something you said.

You said the event should be fun, but if the teams were random and I drew someone I did not like how can it be Fun for me then?

Now onto something else, I personally think there should be no Prizes, maybe the top dog of the Event but as soon as you add a prizes into it, it then turns into something else other then a charity event as there will be people in it that don't care about streamwatch but want to be a prize winner.

I personally think there should be no winner (afterall we are all winners bacause we are doind something very good for our rivers) instead maybe have a raffle draw (have to buy tickets which the money goes back to streamwatch) and have some random prizes.

As for rules, I would throw them out the door cause this event is designed to raise money for streamwatch instead of the people in the tournament.