Fly Fusion Forums

Gas Prices And Your Fishing Vehicle

With the recent rise in gas prices and seemingly no end in sight... are any of you reconsidering what you use for a fishing/recreation vehicle?

For myself, my 4Runner is also our family vehicle.. I'm getting a little under 22mpg combined, which is not too bad, but we're a one income family so it's a stark contrast from our last vehicle.. a Toyota Echo.

This summer we purchased ourselves a camper trailer that weighs about 2300 pounds dry. When it's loaded with water and our stuff it's probably ~3000 pounds. The 4Runner is rated to pull a maximum of 5000 pounds... but I have no idea where they come up with these figures. I had to rev the ever living crap out of it to keep it above 90km on some of the hills going down highway 22 to go camping in BC. Plus it was really windy on the way down. Coming back wasn't quite as bad but I was lucky if I was getting 300km on a tank while pulling that trailer.

It made me contemplate whether or not we should be looking at something with some more ponies under the hood.. maybe a full size SUV like a Sequoia/Expedition/Yukon/Tahoe type dealy. Would probably work out to be better mileage pulling the trailer, but at the same time.. we'd be looking at even worse MPG for our daily driving. Not terribly worse, but worse nonetheless.

Now is the time to buy big SUV's when it comes to the vehicle itself.. but definitely not the time to buy when it comes to putting fuel in them!

I'm curious what you guys/gals have been thinking/doing in regards to this lately?

Funny you should ask. My response to high gas prices was to pick this up in Edmonton late last week:

002cy1.jpg

001pq0.jpg

2006 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab with the Hemi and tow package. Electric everything, off road tires, 44000 k.

Got it for a couple of reasons. The most obvious being that people are panic selling their big gas guzzling trucks and SUVs. Panic selling almost always creates unique buying opportunities. I got the truck for about 10K less what it would have been before all this gas price run up started. Or 10K less than a comparably equipped mid sized SUV or CUV. It gets 15 MPG. My saturn got 30 MPG. I fill my Saturn once a week. It has a 10 gallon tank. So that would mean with no change in habits, I will spend an extra 10 gallons a week, or around 38 liters. Using $1.25 as an average price, thats what, $47.50 a week more, or $2470 a year. Hmmm, that's what, 4 yrs of gas? Seemed like an easy decision.

Also, there is more than a small chance that oil is on its way down, some are predicting it going back to the $50-$70 range (in the Calgary Herald this morning). While I think that $50 is not in the cards anytime soon, $80-$100 would certainly get gasoline back to the $1.00 range. If that happens, then I flip the truck for a very tidy profit and buy something a bit smaller, which is all I really need anyway.

towing compacity is mostly based of breaking ability, look at the f 150's they have a high tow compacity cause ford put HUGE brakes on those bad boys. As long as you can stop it they don't care how you get it up to speed. That my dad pulled there trailer (19 footer) with there GMC safari, with the 3.8 liter.

Nick

i drive a 6 liter gmc ,and pull 4000lbs and get about350 kms on 90 liters ,hills are no problem .hey rickr thats 15mpg as long as you dont touch the gas pedal <--poke--<

I hear ya on the gas pedal thing! Got 16 MPG or so on the highway coming back from Edmonchuk, with a side trip to Whitecourt (600 km, 90L or so). According to the computer, I'm at 14.7 MPG in the second tank (all city driving). I also looked up Hypermiling for tricks on maximizing gas mileage. Can you say coasting??

I've only really hit the pedal a couple of times to see what it can do. It is fairly intoxicating!! I'm thinking of putting a barrier between my foot and the gas pedal and just idling everywhere.

I drive a 99 Buick LeSabre and pull a drift boat. I was given the car on the condition I don't sell it. It has worked out ok even if it wasn't my first choice. With the low clearance it has yet to have a problem at any of the boat launches. Pulling the drift boat halves my gas mileage. I did a 650 km pulling the drift boat and spent 120 on gas which is about 19 mpg

Ya the silver made it stand out to much.

Here is a list of the gayest cars and Dave yours is tops again.

1. Best Car for the Gay Professional

2008-09 Chevy Avalanche

I was a skeptic when Chevy unveiled a new style direction for arguably the best Truck on the planet. However, as with all things forward-thinking, once a look and feel has been perfected, it's time to push the envelope again. This truck embodies the essence of today's gay man also you can pack a lot of sh1t in it.

2. Best Car for the New Gay Family

2008 Saab 9-5 Wagon

Saab began as a jet engine company until it's side gig in the auto industry put it on the household map. It's often quirky design and features make it a true enthusiasts ride. The 9-5 isn't your traditional boring cruiser and even in the SportCombi Wagon version onlookers see the driver as one who desires unique style. The Saab 9-5 is an individual that refuses to follow the pack, just like the new gay dad and his family.

3. Best Dragwagon

2008 Kia Sorento

The Korean automaker has figured out a way to give top-dollar value in a package that won't rip your pocket. Kind of like a drag show- all that entertainment for a couple of bucks in tips. Plus, drag queens need an economical, but classy ride with optimal space for all their gear. That way they can spend those bills on costumes instead of high monthly payments. The 2008 Kia Sportage is the perfect solution and this year's top dragwagon.

4. Most Likely Down Low Cruiser

2008 Chevrolet Impala

Of course you can't tell a down low man by his car, but it sure seems like all the ones I know have the same dealership connection. Impala driver's seats can be seen leaning far back with just enough visibility to cruise the passing cars. Chevy's midsize isn't flashy so look closely to see the quality and refined styling of the otherwise discrete sedan.

5. Best Twinkmobile

2008 Mini Cooper

The Mini Cooper is annoyingly small to some, but simply irresistible to others. The cult classic from the BMW group means fun for anyone who sits behind the wheel (and passengers too). The Mini may look tiny on the outside, but there is a surprising amount of depth on the inside. Thanks to it's great handling, fast engine and fun ride, the Mini Cooper is our Best Twinkmobile winner.

6. Best Ride for the Trendy Gay Man

2008 Honda Element

The Element was made for the young, active and versatile. Freshened for its forth year, most of the plastic side molding has been removed for a more upscale look. The same people that wonder what kind of car this oddly shaped vehicle is, can't help but respect (or even envy) the driver. The mammoth interior is easily accessible with an intelligent tug on the suicide doors. It's just unique enough to satisfy the trendy in all of us.

7. Best Ride for the Trendy Gay Man (Urban)

2008 Chrysler 300C

I'd like to say DCX had no idea what an impact the 300 would have on the auto industry, American styling and bottom line of West Coast Customs, but I'm sure they did! This car is just hot and so is the trendy urban gay man that drives it. It's broad stance, chrome grill and "get out of the way" attitude has redefined the American sedan.

8. Best Retail Queen Carriage

2008 Pontiac G6

We've all seen 'em. We've identified our goal, mapped out our destination and may even be excited about the journey until we hear a high pitched voice that takes all the enjoyment out of the ride. "Can I help you?" it says from thin air. You tell them you're just looking, but they never seem to completely go away. We all appreciate the styling effort, but in the mall or on the road, the retail queen and the G6 are just in the way!

9. Best Lesbian Moving Van

2006 Subaru Outback

Subaru pumps a lot of money into gay advertising and their efforts have paid off with our sister's in queerness. This crossover wagon is versatile enough to accommodate a wide range of haulers. There's plenty of space for the cat cage and those boxes that can't fit in the storage bin. The Outback is a long-running lesbian champion.

10. Queerest truck

Chevy Avalanche

By it's position and title you may think the Queerest truck of 2008 is a good thing. To the contrary, it's usually an entry level vehicle frequently driven by gay men on a budget. (Translation: I just need a truck to get from work to the bar to home.) Saving a dime can be cool too, but must styling be sacrificed? I surveyed many gay men to find the queerest truck of 2008 and they all turned their nose up a the same vehicle- the Chevy Avalanche.

700km/65L tank is about normal for a mix of hwy and city mileage in my 4cyl 2wd Chev S10. All I need really. 4wd is not the requirement people think it is.

When I put my 12ft aluminum/motor/gas in the back, I barely notice a difference in mileage.

2002, Mazda Tribute, Pretty sweet SUV, 4x4 and gets me into the bush, and not to bad on gas at all. But seeing as I work at a Dodge dealership here in Calgary it might be time to switch to a 1500 when I get back from my winter down south. 1500's have by far the best gas effeciency of any comparatably sized truck! And like they always say, RAM THE DAUGHTER AND DODGE THE FATHER! Amen.

I think I'll keep driving my 99 F150 S/C 4x4 for awhile. I get over 20mpg on the hwy and its paid for. I want to see what comes available in the future before I buy another vehicle. What ever I choose, it's going to have to get better than 30mpg on the highway and have some offroad capability.

Regards Mike

Birchy - I have the identical truck to the one you had stolen. I pull a 1600# tent trailer. I think that is close to the useable mx of the vehicle. I was disappointed to find out the Toyota has less hp than the Pathfinder.

There's a gov't of Canada website that provides fuel economy ratings for all vehicles. Check it out and you'll be surprised at how little you're saving with the 4runner over a larger truck.

http://www.oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/...ption-guide.cfm

I bought a new HHR and decided to use my GMC 2500 ext. cab 4x4 longbox just for towing my trailer and quad.It is cheaper for me to buy and insure the little car than just puting fuel in the truck each month.A couple years ago i would never have thought in a million years i would own a 4 cyl car.I have not owned a car( other than my 72 Nova) in probably 15 years.Oh well i guess its a sign of the times.I do really like my HHR though lol.

1970 3/4 ton camper special... Miles per gallon? Maybe gallons per mile would be a better measure. Going over to BC to drop it off as my dad wants the engine (400 small block) and transmission for his truck. If he doesn't want it, I will start it up and throw a brick on the gas peddle and in to the fraser river she goes :P ... was much cheaper to drive when it had the original straight 6 in it but pretty slow with the camper on it... oh well, as they say, horse power is happyness.

Jon

just me and my 98 chev blazer with +/- 250,000k on it. goes everywhere i want it to. 55L tank gets about 425km - 450km Hwy at an average of 130k/hr. i'd probably get better mileage if i could keep the foot of the floor boards.

any of you who has fished with me or has seen the back of my truck know i haul 1/2 my life around in it. and when camping it gets used for sleeping too.

has lots of cargo room but only seats 5, comfortably 4.