Fly Fusion Forums

Monger's 43 Pound Chinook

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

monger had the best luck on this trip. He landed a ton of fish and limited out on halibut, snapper, ling cod and almost on salmon (4 chinook, 1 coho, 1 sockeye and 1 pink (threw a lot of pinks back).

43 pound chinook! beats my past best at 36 pounds... Sigh...there is always next year! Still I managed a big 30 pounder to land me in the Tyee category!

Cheers

Sun

P.S. The new saying should be the "luck of the monger" rather than the "luck of the Irish"!

post-1649-1220817172.jpg

Sundancefisher organizes an incredible trip direct from Calgary to Langara. Between the fishing, the scenery and the amazing food, I am in culture shock trying to adjust back to life here in Calgary. Here's a shot of my first ever Chinook...35lb

Langaratyee.jpg

I believe he is organizing another trip for next September as well... I'll have to start leaving hints for the wife quickly.

monger were you guys using fly rods?

If not get a 8wt or higher and line the complete reel with mono, attach to down rigger ball like normal and when a fish takes, clear your calender as you will be in for a monster fight. It's great fun with most of the salmon species, but can get old fast if you are tying into big springs as your arms will not feel the same.

Jayhad we were using mooching rods with MR-2 Islanders loaded with 25lb mono. I had a 10wt with me but after fighting these fish I think the mooching rods were probably the right choice.

Here's the little Hali Sundancefisher reeled in (132lb). He's about 6'4" for perspective.

132Hali.jpg

Guest Sundancefisher

Just got back into town.

All I can say to anyone that has flyfished with monger is that on the ocean he still commands the fish to bite. Never let him pick a rod. Always take turns or else just go as the camera boy!

It was great fun Rob. I need a couple of big barbeques to cook just a fraction of what we brought back! Yummm. Anyone have good recipes for halis, salmon, snapper and ling?

Also I am doing another trip in May 26-30 and Sept 1-5...

Cheers

Sun

Guest Sundancefisher
Just got back into town.

All I can say to anyone that has flyfished with monger is that on the ocean he still commands the fish to bite. Never let him pick a rod. Always take turns or else just go as the camera boy!

It was great fun Rob. I need a couple of big barbeques to cook just a fraction of what we brought back! Yummm. Anyone have good recipes for halis, salmon, snapper and ling?

Also I am doing another trip in May 26-30 and Sept 1-5...

Cheers

Sun

P.S. It was also fun making monger hold that big beast up for 140 photos...the smile was actually the strain on his old muscles causing him to grimace!