Fly Fusion Forums

Fish Mortalities

I was fishing a nice run on the crow a couple of days ago when I hooked into a large fish, quickly landed it and released it and just as it darted away a white streak in the water caught my eye. Then I realized that it was a dead fish belly up floating down the river (about 15 inches or so), at first I thought it was the fish I just released but then I realized it was smaller and had a larger mouth I attempted to scoop it up with my net but it was to late. So I walked upstream to where I saw a couple of fishermen earlier (obviously novices to the sport) and saw one of the guys clearly exited, flailing a rod every which way to cast. By now I'm pretty sure that they caught and "released" the trout meaning throwing it up on the rocks, letting it flop around, taking some pictures and putting it back in the water.

I am sure they didn’t intentionally mean to kill the fish but they did and I'm sure with their releasing skills they have killed many more, whether aware or not. The particular day of fishing was a great one and it ended up spoiled by this incident. I rather have spin fishers catch and keep a fish, and enjoy it then people being rough on fish and killing a large portion of their catch.

Shouldn’t there be a test or at least a booklet handed out to fishermen with techniques to properly catch and release trout? Tips like keep the fish in the water (as much as possible), fully revive it, don't play it to exhaustion, look for fatal or not good signs such as pupils pointing downward.

This led me to thinking that maybe FFC should make an article on how to catch and release fish without high mortalities.

I rather have spin fishers catch and keep a fish, and enjoy it then people being rough on fish and killing a large portion of their catch.

Dude, that's elitist. There are fly fisherman that suck at fish handling as well. Actually in addition to being elitist it makes no sense and was clearly made in haste.

This led me to thinking that maybe FFC should make an article on how to catch and release fish without high mortalities.

I think that this is a great idea. Perhaps a community initiative could put together a well covered article. We can create a guideline as a group and publish it to the site(s).

Please post your recommendations and we'll start an article.

Dude, that's elitist. There are fly fisherman that suck at fish handling as well. Actually in addition to being elitist it makes no sense and was clearly made in haste.

Sorry there must have been a misunderstanding. I just said I preferred people keeping fish then to let them go and die, I hold nothing against spin fishers and just said that I don't mind anglers fly or spin following regs and keeping fish. The fishermen who accidentally (I assume) killed the fish on the crow where fly fishermen FYI and that’s what prompted me to make this post so other Fly Fishers could perhaps learn how to better release fish.

How is that "elitist"?

I found it elitist because you mentioned "spin fisherman" and not fly. You also prefer people to poach? If someone catches a fish with a zero retention limit and keeps said fish because of "injuries" or because it is likely to die, it is POACHING. Can you fathom the amount of people keeping fish and simply telling the CO that "it was injured, so I had to keep it". Maybe I am just misunderstanding you, but I'm educated enough to process what I read. I have nothing against you personally, I'm just doing my best to understand exactly what you are trying to say.

An article is a great idea and I think it could benefit us all. Add in there in addition to avoiding mortality, how to avoid damaging the fish. This weekend I got a little wierded out when probably 70% of the fish I caught were fuggered up in some way or another. Some really badly. We are almost going to have to rename the stream Deadstone - Sad.

Guest bigbadbrent

Carl, you'll see more and more beat up ones as the season going on, its the one bad thing about a C&R fishery, they get caught so often that they get beat to crap, especially in such a small stream with limited food, that they're not exactly 'hard' to catch

You also prefer people to poach? If someone catches a fish with a zero retention limit and keeps said fish because of "injuries" or because it is likely to die, it is POACHING.

No I don't prefer people to poach. That's why I said I don't mind keeping fish within the regs.. Hmm you seem to be only reading select area's of my posts :huh:

I don't mind anglers fly or spin following regs and keeping fish

Anyways I'm glad that you guys approve of making an article on proper catch and release techniques. On Vic Bergman's fishing map of the crow he put tips on catch and release on a page of the booklet. There is some good basic info there and I'm sure forum members would be more than happy on posting some of their techniques :)

Great idea.

Unfortunately when I was first learning how to fly-fish, on my own, I pretty much did the same.

Now with the help of forums and threads like these I have a learned great deal of information that has helped me catch and successfully release fish. And for that I and the fish that I have caught thank you all.

i'd also appreciate an article on catch and release fishing. that's partly why i started that other post in 'ask the pros'. i'd also like to have a section in the article on how to photograph fish without harming/stressing the fish excessively.

That is a good idea for an article on proper handling/releasing. However this article would need to be made known as all the information in the world is useless unless you read AND apply it. People can read lots of stuff but if they don't actually apply it it's worthless. But you can only do so much. Make the information available, make it known, and lead by example. Hopefully the rest follow.

SO enough talk and lets get this started. I have been fishing for a few years and had never heard about the fishes eyes pointing down. I try my best every time to release the fish ASAP and revive if necessary but I would love to her some tips and tricks from the wealth of experience which frequents this forum. I'm sure the barbless hooks are a huge step in the right direction but what else can be done or practiced to further increase the successful release rate.

Great thread.

mkm

I wonder with all the wounded Cutts in the Stone if it isn't time to stop the nymphing and make it a dry fly river. Maybe it's time to impose this as a personal rule (for all you who are going to cry elitist). It would be nice to see more fish with both their maxilla at the end of the summer.

No I don't prefer people to poach. That's why I said I don't mind keeping fish within the regs.. Hmm you seem to be only reading select area's of my posts

Ok. I am misunderstanding you. No attack on you personally. It's an excuse but I was having a s**t day. ;)

Guys,

Why not try page 18 of the 2007 Alberta Sportfishing Regulations or failing that get the pamphlet "Handle and Release Fish with Care" from your local F&W office.

There I got ya'. Guess it's not only the bait fishermen who don't read the regs.

catch ya'

Don

Just taking a quick side trip on the eyes pointing down thing. I made special note of the eyes of a lot of the fish I released yesterday. They were all brought in fast (4X leader) and were still lively to hand. All darted away immediately and needed no reivival. The eyes were about 50/50 down and centered. Could someone direct me to any scientific research on the eyes as an indicator of stress level.. I haven't found any but that doesn't mean anything.

From the bowriverblog.com

Catch and Release Information

Here at the Bow River Blog I always practice catch and release. I do not eat fish on a regular basis so for me there is no reason to keep my catch. I would like to provide you with some important guidelines on how to properly release trout after they have been hooked and somewhat tired out. After I have landed the fish I will do several things to prevent the fish from dying.

The first thing I do is keep the fish in the water at all times if possible and remove the hook from its mouth without ever removing the fish from the water using hemostats or pliers. If that is not possible than, I will first wet my hands making sure to keep the trout’s protective coating intact. I hold the fish with two hands so the fish doesn’t flop out of my hands and land hard onto the ground.

After I have gently removed the hook with the “push back and turn method” I gently place the fish back into the water. When handling the fish, be sure you keep your hands well clear of the Trout’s gills. Now gently face the fish upstream with its nose pointing upriver and not downstream. I then very slowly move the fish a little back and forth to get the water to flow through its gills again. As I start to feel the fish’s tail kick, I will then let go of the fish and let it swim away.

Remember to never let a fish flop around on the ground as this may very well kill the fish. Also remember to never squeeze a fish to hard either, this adds extra stress to the fish and can also be fatal. And lastly, never throw a fish back into the water like an old boot, gently lower the fish into the water and give it enough time to properly get its breath.