Fly Fusion Forums

Aspecial Thanks To The Calgary Fire Department Aquatic Rescue

Yeah thanks i didnt know they could make it up the highwood but they sure can. I was standing in the middle of one of my favourite runs close to home when what do i hear. it sounded like a single prop plane so i look all around for it and nothing then i look downstream and here comes there jet boat at full speed. So i move out of the river and watch them race by. The best part was the wash and wake from it brings out the silt and takes visibilty from clear to nothing in a matter of seconds. so i sit and wait have a smoke and let it clear but that was the end of the fishing for the day. when they came back down 15 min latter. I am not sure wether they were rescuing someone but come on do you really need the jet boat on the highwood?

Yeah thanks i didnt know they could make it up the highwood but they sure can. I was standing in the middle of one of my favourite runs close to home when what do i hear. it sounded like a single prop plane so i look all around for it and nothing then i look downstream and here comes there jet boat at full speed. So i move out of the river and watch them race by. The best part was the wash and wake from it brings out the silt and takes visibilty from clear to nothing in a matter of seconds. so i sit and wait have a smoke and let it clear but that was the end of the fishing for the day. when they came back down 15 min latter. I am not sure wether they were rescuing someone but come on do you really need the jet boat on the highwood?

Not to sound like a dink but someone drowned and died on Monday on the Highwood. They were probably responding to the call. I'm pretty sure you'd appreciate it if you were on the other end of that call. Unless you were talking about Monday, then I have no idea....

Not to sound like a dink but someone drowned and died on Monday on the Highwood. They were probably responding to the call. I'm pretty sure you'd appreciate it if you were on the other end of that call. Unless you were talking about Monday, then I have no idea....

This was on tuesday at 300 in the afternoon. and about 6 miles upstream of where the cliff jumper died. That was at natures hideaway.

This was on tuesday at 300 in the afternoon. and about 6 miles upstream of where the cliff jumper died. That was at natures hideaway.

That's pretty far up there! Maybe some fool rafters fell in?? One time on the Bow I had a CO come blasting over on a Sea Doo to check my license. That was pretty much the end of my day fishing that spot since I'm sure he spooked all the fish away within 200m.

well the thing about driving a jet boat like that you can manage 3-4 inches of water if you know how to drive them but it really does take practice and learning to read the river and just knowing whats ahead on the river so you make the correct decisions when life is on the line ,no one would ever let them down if they turned the wrong way and got stuck on the way to a rescue

I am sure after that accident the figured they needed to run the river to see what poiunt the could get to and how long it would take and all that

All I can say about the Calgary Fire Dept. and the Water Rescue Team is, "YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST"

These folks will risk their life at the drop of a hat, to save your ass!

Top of my hero's list! If they need to blast by me with the jetboat, I'll give them a big friendly wave everytime.

I hope everyone else will do the same...There are some things in life more important than catching a couple cutts.

Greg

I have no problem with river rescue boats at all. Now civilian jetboats and outboard motorboats on the bow are something different all together. I would like to see a no-motor law in place for the rest of us for all rivers and small fishing lakes.

I'll never forget the day I was floating the Bow and suddenly up came a full fledged, huge fishing boat with a 125 horse or bigger outboard on it. It was flying. There was a huge wake and we were kind of tossed around a bit. A while later he come flying back the other way. Total disregard for others and very irresponsible as well. There just isn't room for these boats on the river. I agree with kungfool, no-motors for rivers and streams and perhaps a restriction to electric on small lakes. BC has done this very well with their lakes and it works like a charm.

Me and Toolman were fishing together below Calgary last summer when some ***hat motors up on our side of the bank and has the nerve to wave as the wake smacks into my midsection. He proceeded to fish by drifting from upstream of us down the other bank (and other side of a small island across from us) then as he gets to the bottom of the run he fires up his outboard again and motored back up our side of the bank again to do it again, and again. It's really hard to keep your composure when some one does something like this. Motors through our drifts so not to spook the bank he plans on fishing... :wacko:

I must be the minority then. I think those boats are pretty cool!! I wave everytime and hope one of these times they'll stop and take me for a ride!

I hope I'm on the river that day to see it Birchy....

Tell them you have a joke to tell them.

Wait a few minutes before you tell it though.....

____

____

.....And then I'll see if I can't help you get to shore after they throw you out. :P

I am really pretty sure that the FD wouldn't be "joy riding" up the Highwood. Hate to hear that your fishing was ruined, but I'd say if they were beating it up there then there was a good reason. That's about the only kind of jetboat I dont mind seeing on the river.

Guess I better not go buy that 25 horse for our zodiac now :lol:

Fire departments are not bound, by boundaries they aloud to go as far as they feel they can to do what they need to do. So if someone needs help on the high wood, they can drop in the water where ever they need to and off they go.

If high river Fire department feels it needs help, it takes 1 phone call and that truck will roll ASAP. Unlike the Police the fire department has no leash when it comes to saving lives

I have no problem with river rescue boats at all. Now civilian jetboats and outboard motorboats on the bow are something different all together. I would like to see a no-motor law in place for the rest of us for all rivers and small fishing lakes.

Like Greg said; happy to see them on the river..I remember a thread on the old FFC turning quite nasty after a jet boat thread was started..LOL

Boggles me how anyone could put a few spooked fish over fire fighters conducting training, or a rescue for that matter. Kudos to the firefighters! From my experience of running a zodiac in the Belly and St. Mary's river, you need as much pratice as you can get to find out places to launch and how to keep from totaling a $15,000 boat. Makes no sense for the fire department to have a zodiac to rescue some poor unfortunate soul if they don't know the capabilities and maneuverability of the water craft.

I guess what i am trying to say is the highwood is so small there is hardly any places that are over your head. The deepest part is at high river. As far as i am concerend you dont need a rescue boat on the highwood