Fly Fusion Forums

Best Bang For The Buck

darrinhurst

I have a TFO 9' 2-pc. 5wt rod that came as an outfit with reel, line and all. After going out the other day with leadhead and bigbadbrown, I was able to try out one of lead's older rods once we determined that my reel was buggered. What I discovered is that his rod felt much smoother casting than mine, and I asked the guy at Wholesale who was re-backing my spool, if the line was any good. His words were "There's worse, but its not bad". I am thinking that I want to get a new fly line as mine appears to sink at the tip (water logged maybe?) and it didn't really cast as smooth as lead's old rod.

So my question is, what fly line gives you the best bang for the buck?

Right now I am only using the 5wt to fish trout. Not looking at really doing much else at this point so I don't require a sinking or sink tip line.

What are your thoughts?

I just got a new rod and reel.... teton tioga with the floating ridgline.... $70 line but the will replace it for up to five years.

the ridge line is crap from what ive seen. the coating cracks and seperates.

maybe other people have had good experinces but from what i have seen its garbage

Airflo Freshwater Tactical. I have three, including one that's 2 years old and it still casts and floats great. They have bad memory in the cold but otherwise they're the only way to fly.

I just pitched a tactical series in the garbage the other day. Casts just fine but its handling characteristics sucked.

I second the recs for the 444 peach or the headstart for cheap but very usable lines.

I like the SA's as well.. the only thing I'm noticing is that every SA line i've had so far (including the sharkskin) sinks at the tip after a few times out.. I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong.

I try to clean my line after every 8 or 10 times out.. make sure I rinse it off real good afterwards.. but I DON'T have any line dressing to coat it with, so maybe that's the problem?

More expensive than the other lines mentioned, but I think the SA GPX lines are the best all around overhead casting lines out there. Spend the extra money and you won't regret it.

Another thing to consider is that your line might not be the problem so much as your rod, or more specifically the rod's action. When you say the other rod "felt much smoother casting" than yours, was it the same rod with a different line or a completely different outfit? If it was a different rod, then maybe the one you have doesn't have an action that suits your casting style but the one you borrowed does. No point in spending money on a new line if the rod is actually where the problem lies...

I like the SA's as well.. the only thing I'm noticing is that every SA line i've had so far (including the sharkskin) sinks at the tip after a few times out.. I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong.

I try to clean my line after every 8 or 10 times out.. make sure I rinse it off real good afterwards.. but I DON'T have any line dressing to coat it with, so maybe that's the problem?

I had the same problem with my Sharkskin line fresh out of the box. I was told that it sounded like a warranty issue and to contact SA about getting a replacement. My old GPX line never had that problem, so it probably isn't a line dressing thing.