Fly Fusion Forums

Advice For A New Fly Guy

Hi Everyone.

My name is Darrin and I am pretty new to the sport of fly fishing. I recently picked up a nice new TFO rod that was recommended by a fellow co-worker as it was a real good value, and picked up a few flies while I was there. Just some basic stuff to get started.

I only have a few questions to ask of the more experienced, like what else would you consider as important for one to invest in during their rookie year?

Where are some of the better places to go in and around the city? Where is the best place for a rookie to go to thier thier feet wet, no pun intended.

Thanks for all the help guys, any advice would be fantastic!

A comfortable pair of waders and boots. If you aren't comfortable in the waders you won't last long in the water. If the boots aren't comfortable to walk in you won't want to cover distance to get to some of the good fishing spots that are more than 50 feet from a parking lot.

On the non-gear side, invest in casting lessons. Watching a video or reading a book doesn't compare to live instruction on the water. Once you have some casting basics down, you may want to book some time with a guide who can show you some decent places to fish.

Fish Creek park is a pretty popular place to get your feet wet without driving or walking too far. There are usually a lot of other fly fishers out there as well and most will answer any questions and give you some pointers if you ask nice. Keep in mind that the Bow isn't necessarily the easiest river for a beginner to get into fish, though...

I'd suggest getting a copy of Barry Mitchell's book, "Alberta's Trout Highway". I've really like it and find it full of all kinds of info. Not only where to go but just a really enjoyable read about all aspects of trout and fishing for them. There are others, but that one is my favorite.

That, and just checking on here, a lot of information and advice available.

Good luck.

Don't yank on your TFO when you get it stuck in the trees, they break easily, LOL

Yeah, I've discovered that already. I took it out of it's case to show to my four year old daughter, and the tip had broken off! Thank God for the lifetime warranty. The shop I bought it from (that morning) swapped it no problem however, so it's all good.

Thanks for the advice guys. I was considering the waders/wading boots, but wasn't sure if that was something to invest in so early in my "career", but from what I have heard so far, it surely is a worthwile investment. Even some of the articles I have read basically reccomend them, one mentioned the Bow in particular as the rocks in the Bow can get pretty slick.

I guess I'm not done spending money just yet....... <_<

I guess I'm not done spending money just yet....... <_<

That is a very true statement honestly taking up crack smoking might have been a cheaper hobby.

I am going to recommend that you take a basic course in flyfishing. All of the shops in town offer some form of introductory course. It might be getting a little late in the year for one of the classes as they tend to be in the spring. If you can't find a course you might be able to get one of the pros on the site to help you out for a few hours. I checked fishtales website and it indicates that they have one more intro session advertised this year Fish Tales Level 1 Fly Fishing Troutfitters seem to be done for the year. Hansons boot camp has also been highly recommended.

Also check out the fly fishing get togethers section a lot of people post where and when they are going and most wouldn't mind a companion.

Don't yank on your TFO when you get it stuck in the trees, they break easily, LOL

its funny you say the they break easily... i have had my tfo a year and it took driving over it to break it..

i fished it more then 100 days and never had a problem... and im sure it would have lasted alot longer.

That is a very true statement honestly taking up crack smoking might have been a cheaper hobby.

I am going to recommend that you take a basic course in flyfishing. All of the shops in town offer some form of introductory course. It might be getting a little late in the year for one of the classes as they tend to be in the spring. If you can't find a course you might be able to get one of the pros on the site to help you out for a few hours. I checked fishtales website and it indicates that they have one more intro session advertised this year Fish Tales Level 1 Fly Fishing Troutfitters seem to be done for the year. Hansons boot camp has also been highly recommended.

Also check out the fly fishing get togethers section a lot of people post where and when they are going and most wouldn't mind a companion.

I actually did take a basic fly fishing course through Country Pleasures. It was fantasitc. The class was realatively small as there were only about 10-12 of us and with the two instructors, they were able to give a lot of one on one instruction. Also taught us about what to look for in the characteristics of the water, where the fish would be in the water, what kind of flies are about and what to use. Really did a thourough job.

I have always wanted to learn ever since I moved to Calgary, particularly when my wife and I bought a home in Cranston in the SE just off of South Fish Creek park. I thought "What a great location for fishing!" but figured it was damn near impossible to cast fish in the Bow, and after trying on many an occasion, I figured that I was right. Then my wife bought me that introductory course from Country Pleasures, and now I am PUMPED to get my feet wet.

Already practised castig in my back yard (even if it isn't big enough) with the new rod and a buddy at work has offered to take me down the Elbow and show me the ropes. I just feel that there is so much more to learn. I can't wait!

I actually did take a basic fly fishing course through Country Pleasures. It was fantasitc. The class was realatively small as there were only about 10-12 of us and with the two instructors, they were able to give a lot of one on one instruction. Also taught us about what to look for in the characteristics of the water, where the fish would be in the water, what kind of flies are about and what to use. Really did a thourough job.

I have always wanted to learn ever since I moved to Calgary, particularly when my wife and I bought a home in Cranston in the SE just off of South Fish Creek park. I thought "What a great location for fishing!" but figured it was damn near impossible to cast fish in the Bow, and after trying on many an occasion, I figured that I was right. Then my wife bought me that introductory course from Country Pleasures, and now I am PUMPED to get my feet wet.

Already practised castig in my back yard (even if it isn't big enough) with the new rod and a buddy at work has offered to take me down the Elbow and show me the ropes. I just feel that there is so much more to learn. I can't wait!

Cranston!! Contact the resident expert RickR. He'll show you the ropes of reading/fishing the water in that area... It just might be at 0500 in the morning, however :P

Good boots and waders for sure... There are also alot of good books available, especially those by Jim McLennan, that discuss techniques, and how to read the water. A book or 2 on basic entomology is also a good idea to get a bit of a handle on exactly what you're trying to imitate. I have a well used copy of one that fits nicely in a vest and is very detailed with pics of artificials to imitate the insects in different stages. Its called Hatch Guide for Western Streams (I think...)

Good boots and waders for sure... There are also alot of good books available, especially those by Jim McLennan, that discuss techniques, and how to read the water. A book or 2 on basic entomology is also a good idea to get a bit of a handle on exactly what you're trying to imitate. I have a well used copy of one that fits nicely in a vest and is very detailed with pics of artificials to imitate the insects in different stages. Its called Hatch Guide for Western Streams (I think...)

I do believe that the dude that I was talking to at Fish Tales told me about that exact book this morning.

And the best advice of all. Dont take anyone on this site seriously. lol

LOL. too funny.

but in all seriousness. just get out there, talk to people on the river, watch what others are doing, watch their casting, look at the bugs, over turn some rocks, ignore the dead gopher or cat floating down the river, ask questions while you are out there. observe, listen, learn

you can ask all the questions you want here and you will get some decent answers but it will never replace first hand knowledge at the time. conditions change and so do techniques. what worked on a hot sunny slow day isnt going to work at -10.

spend time catching the trees, grass, kids, dogs etc behind you, apologize profusely to the owners/parents. at some point you figure out how not to cast into the garbage behind you. go and explore a small stream or smaller river in different areas, try difffernt fish.

talk to the people who have been fishing the river for the last 30 years. try joining something like the hook and hackle club. you may not tie flies and you dont need to, but you will get a lot of information

most importantly, dont get discouraged because you didnt catch a fish on your day on the Bow

• 4 weeks later...

Best first year investment: time.

Get out and enjoy being there. Don't expect to catch any fish. If you don't like time on your own, find a fishing buddy or two. Anything it takes to keep you out there and learning. Talk to people out there and get some tips. Fish with people that are more experienced, if possible. The more progress you make in the first year, the more likely you will have a lifetime hobby.

If you don't mind getting wet, don't bother with waders yet. The weather and water is warn this time of year. Spend that money on casting lessons. It will make everything less frustrating.

Get up to a mountain stream some time in the next few months. You'll catch a few fish and see some awesome stuff.

Don't let the Bow discourage you. It may seem impossible at first, but one day something will click and you'll wonder why you ever thought it was so difficult.

Don't let the Bow discourage you. It may seem impossible at first, but one day something will click and you'll wonder why you ever thought it was so difficult.

agree totally. my rookie year [actually 2 years] was a complete wash - i snagged one whitefish.

i went on a lake trip year 2 with a group of friends of friends who were all well-seasoned, and during that [fishing was very tough] the coin dropped. i compare it to learning to swing a golf club the correct way. basically i watched everyone else one entire day [we were all in boats] and cast just a whatever pattern...i relaxed and focused on casting, what they did and what i did not do, etc. it started coming. it was like after i sorta gave into the frustration and wind knots and snagged trees and lost flies, it started to click. after that at least i could cast a little, i started learning about bugs, did a few guided trips and found some fishing pals and asked a million questions, found a good fly shop that gave good advice...

15 years later i still learn an incredible amount every year. this site is a fantastic resource that i wish i had back then, that's for sure.

keep at it my friend, the rewards are tremendous.

excellent advice, as I am also very early in my rookie year, about 3 days into it, lol. Thanks.

FNG, we should head out one morning, from one rookie to another, we can't make each other look bad....

Be happy to. My schedule is kinda messed up, so we'd have to see what would work.

Let me know man.

Get out and enjoy being there. Don't expect to catch any fish. If you don't like time on your own, find a fishing buddy or two. Anything it takes to keep you out there and learning. Talk to people out there and get some tips. Fish with people that are more experienced, if possible. The more progress you make in the first year, the more likely you will have a lifetime hobby.

If you don't mind getting wet, don't bother with waders yet. The weather and water is warn this time of year. Spend that money on casting lessons. It will make everything less frustrating.

Get up to a mountain stream some time in the next few months. You'll catch a few fish and see some awesome stuff.

Was actually out this morning on the Bow at 22X. Got skunked, again, but still had a blast. I have yet to invest in waders, and am considering a vest or a pack of some kind to make things easier, and likely less hot than my fleece vest I've been wearing. Not too worried about waders at this point as the water is quite lovely this time of year. I may not even think about those until fall, or even next spring.

Not overly worried about catching fish at this point. Just practising my casting for the most part, and technique. Trying not to get too many knots in my leaders.....lol Just goin' out there and having some fun.