Fly Fusion Forums

Alaska 2008

Hawgstoppah

You mighta heard some really loud whoopin and hollerin' on June 29th. It was coming from up north and it was me :)

Klutina River (near copper center, alaska)...

King Salmon ... 40 pounds. 47 inches. On my spey. Flesh fly. BEEEEYYYAAAHHHHHH!!!!

Alaska%201.jpg

Alaska%202.jpg

and one for Max :)

Alaska%203.jpg

and yes, it was kept, and it was absolutely delicious!!!!!!

someone else wanted it too..... he watched the whole show..

Alaska%204.jpg

some "reds" (sockeye salmon) taken on my 6wt on June 30th, after the work was done (they were also very, very tasty)

Alaska%205.jpg

Alaska%206.jpg

Getting ready to go out on a halibut charter :) the harbor in Seward, alaska

Alaska%207.jpg

A true Ling Cod (38 inches and about 25 pounds)

Alaska%208.jpg

Some sort of cool looking rock bass

Alaska%209.jpg

and a halibut. this one's about 40-50lbs. I had one on for about a half hour that was about 200+ pounds, but he spat out the salmon carcass he had taken, right at the end of the fight as the cap't was about to shoot it. Literally 5 more seconds he would have been on the gaff and shot. Oh well, it was fun. My arms are still pretty sore, it was about a half hour scrap with it....

Alaska%209a.jpg

Saw lots of whales, most from quite a distance... I never did get any really good shots, but here's a pics of a humpback that was about a mile away as we headed back in.

Alaska%209b.jpg

scenery from the boat

Alaska%2011.jpg

A day on the Lower Kasilof (famous King Salmon river)... I was dissapointed with it. You sit in a boat, with a rod in the rod holder, and wait. No fun really, especially when the fishing was dead slow. A few boats hooked up... here's one.

Alaska%2012.jpg

and saw a MASSIVE brown bear.... otherwise known as a kodiak but they don't call them kodiak's unless there on kodiak island I guess. Nevertheless, this was the biggest bear I have ever seen. Got a pic from a long ways away. He's muching on a moose carcass.... and I think that was just an appetizer for this monster of a animal..

Alaska%2013.jpg

So after not enjoying the Kasilof (and the lower Kenai famous King Salmon fishing is the same, sit in a boat and wait, with 100 boats per hole)... I decided I'd rather fly fish the upper Kenai, which was a LOT of fun. Pretty much bow river sized fish, with the chance of a massive rainbow mixed in. I didn't get anything huge, but a good bow river average, and lots of fish. 20-23 inchers :)

Alaska%2014.jpg

Alaska%2014a.jpg

Alaska%2015.jpg

Alaska%2016.jpg

Alaska%2017.jpg

and on the way home I was blown away by the most amazing sunset I have ever seen. The pics don't really do it enough justice...

Alaska%2018.jpg

Watch out for these critters on the drive up. Moose, and Wood Buffalo (Bison)

Alaska%2019.jpg

Alaska%2020.jpg

It was an amazing trip :)

Saw more wildlife than I can even recall. Moose, Black Bears and cubs, Grizzlies and cubs, Brown bears, Caribou, Fox, Wolf pup, Bison, Elk, Deer, Bald Eagles, Humpback whale, Orca, dolphins, sea lions, dang the list goes on...... and that doesn't include fish :)

My first King Salmon 47 inches 40 lbs

My first "Red" salmon (sockeye) got a bunch this trip... I did catch some of these in BC by mistake fishing for rainbows following them up a small river, but this was the first time I actually targeted them.

My first true Dolly Varden (it looked like a rainbow and was tiny)

My first Halibut (got 4 lost 2 big ones)

My first Ling Cod

My first Rock Bass... I can't remember the name of it actually. There was others like it that were black and they were black bass.... and no one caught the really orange you see in lots of pics ... the one they call a yelloweye....

anyways, it was a kickarse trip. If anyone goes up and needs some info / advice on where to stop... just ask :)

Much like alberta, the "best" places are a bit off the beaten path..... and not the really famous spots. The Kenai may hold the biggest fish, but it's also got 700 boats on a 10 mile stretch any given day. If you want to get away and fish with low pressure, head out to an area called "Glenallen" and "Copper center" etc. :) The Klutina river holds some nice fish, as does the Galkona and the copper river itself (they're all tributaries to the copper, which runs to the sea, and the king salmon in the whole area are known as "copper kings")

That's bloody awesome Brian! Clearly you had better luck at catching big kings than we did - and much better weather - how the hell does that work?!

At any rate, good job - those are some pretty impressive fish and some gorgeous pics. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. And, actually, I think I may have heard you. Did you hear me....was only a few hundred kms away LOL

And, actually, I think I may have heard you. Did you hear me....was only a few hundred kms away LOL

where were you guys? I fished the Klutina for Kings and got mine (By Glenallen and copper center)

Then on the Kasilof but fishing was slow and I got blanked, not even a hit (our whole boat did, and of the 20+ boats on the kasilof, only 5 even got a single fish, and one got 3 ... those lucky dawgs)

did you hook into any, what river where you guys on?

nice photoshop skills

ok ok just kidding.

Looks like an amazing time. Beautiful fish. The smile on your face says it all!

In a small way i pictured myself there with you and enjoyed the moment.

thanks for the post!

We were in the Queen Charlotte Islands and let's just say that we didn't catch nearly as many fish as you, nor the size you caught, nor had the fabulous weather you did :D

I love the colours of the fish you caught - that king is amazing.

Nice work man. When we gonna hook up again? Met a guy today who said he knew you, his name was Glen Trout. I said i wish my last name was trout.

Why are you holding that salmon like that? :devil:

weird that the 'new flava' has most shop owners and employees fishing the fresh and saltwater ones religiously....there is simply no better casting line on the market, the downside of it rubbing down your fingers is a small price to pay for the casting and floatability of the line. It's easy to clean, and doesn't pick up dirt any faster then regular lines (i have 3 that i fish, no complaints in the least)

dope brother!!! glad too see your trip went well!!! some amazing shots tehre too!

Guest Jeremie

nice job and the the fish you caught was a quillback rock cod if im not mistaken i'll be sure to fish for those behemoths this summer in campbell river!

one ? will the 9 weight be ok???? lol

tight lines

jeremie