Fly Fusion Forums

Double Nymphing Rigs

What kind of knot do you guys use on the fly>fly connection. The knot attaching the top nymph to the trailer nymph has got me baffled. With barbless hooks, the knot slips of the hook. Eye>eye means that they don't "flow" in a straight line.

Any ideas?

Don

Guest bigbadbrent

Don't attach to the hookshank, do another improved clinch off the other side of the eye..i find they sit better in the water doing this as well (and my numbers have increased over the time i do this, over hook to eye)

I don't think I've ever had the bottom fly come off a barbless hook. You'd think it should happen, but it hasn't for me. I lot of times I'll go eye-to-eye when I think it will result in more hookups, but most of the times its off the bend.

What kind of knot do you guys use on the fly>fly connection. The knot attaching the top nymph to the trailer nymph has got me baffled. With barbless hooks, the knot slips of the hook. Eye>eye means that they don't "flow" in a straight line.

Any ideas?

Don

I have been tying a "trailer" onto the hook bend with a clinch knot for a few years now(barbless) and have only lost one fish to the knot sliding off of the hook bend. I have been catching more fish on the "trailer" but some days it's all on the line hook. I must confess that I have not tried this setup in a stream situation but I don't think it should matter. I usually try a lighter nymph pattern on the line hook and tie a heavier one, such as a metal beedhead, as a trailer...works for me.

I've tried both ways and settled on using an improved clinch tied on the bend of the lead hook. Never had a loss of the second fly, whether to a fish,snag or just casting. Hookup rates appeared to be similar to me for both methods. I did notice that the eye to eye method seemed to cause a lot more twisting in the tippet. Maybe some of the other guys have diferent experiences in that regard.

yea i havnt found em sliding.. the barb pinched leaves a little nub wich makes for a stopper unless you tie a loose knot wich could leave enough space for the tippet too slide over and off the hook.. i use the palomar knot on the bend nad for smaller flies i go eye too eye... now if the hook was bough barbless with no nub it may be a problem...

yea i havnt found em sliding.. the barb pinched leaves a little nub wich makes for a stopper unless you tie a loose knot wich could leave enough space for the tippet too slide over and off the hook.. i use the palomar knot on the bend nad for smaller flies i go eye too eye... now if the hook was bough barbless with no nub it may be a problem...

I thought so to, but I've found that even with a factory barbless hook like the Partridge SHR series, I've yet to have a fly slip off when tied to the shank. I used to go eye to eye until a conversation I had with Wetduck and Bhurt. I think my hook ups "might" have increased, and my tangles have decreased going shank to shank.

You can tie a barrel knot (blood knot) and leave the tag end (from the top line) hanging for a fly. The other fly goes on the bottom.

I tie a clinch to the bend and I have never had one slip (that I know of, anyway).

I'm a fan of the Palomar Knot. It's solid, for a hook bend dropper ties. The thing to be sure of with all knots is to moisten the knot with water before tightening. Makes a more solid and tight connection. I also use droppers using a dropper loop when I fish wets. Works well as long as you keep the droppers short. Be sure to occasionally check your knots.

ths probably the biggest thing silver doc.. checkin your rigs while fishing.. not jsut waiting for em too get busted off .. every 10-15 minutes i take a look atleast unless im dredgin up tons of stuff then i am checkin em even more...