Fly Fusion Forums

Some Dancing Queens

Jeffro

Sharp-tailed grouse have been putting their hormones to work for the last couple weeks, and I managed to snap a few shots to catch them in the act of their dirty dancing deed. Spring has more than sprung and hopefully everyone is getting a chance to get out and watch the marvels of nature do their spring cleaning for the new season.

Hope you enjoy!

_DSC01080001.jpg

_DSC01120001.jpg

_DSC01180001.jpg

_DSC00480001.jpg

Might as well toss in a prairie crocus too...

_DSC01230001.jpg

Tako I am not associated with the ACA, but I have done sharp-tailed grouse lek surveys in the past, and may end up doing some yet this year too.

DBT, that photo essay isn't user friendly for this website.....There is too many sensitive eyes and too much risk everyone would have permanent "issues" form viewing it :lol::lol:

Nice shots. I am going to try and find some dancing turkeys this weekend. Hopefully I can collect some feathers for tying.

Haven't had a chance to get out to watch the turkeys strut their stuff this year, but I will be in the pass this weekend so I may have to stop by a few turkey hotspots. I would like to get out to see some sage grouse, but I don't think I will have the time this year.

You might want to read the "poacher" thread........Maybe Hunter is right........

I've been trying not to feed the troll, but I agree the attempt at humor was a little over the top. Poaching isn't a joking issue and it's a shame that some try to make light of it.....

On a positive note, the sharpies at this lek are kicking it into high gear and it is always a nice treat to watch them for a short period of time at least once or twice a week. They had a coyote (more of a coydog due to it's huge size) sizing them up, but unfortunately for him we blew his cover. Poor bugger really had his heart set on a sharp-tail sandwich :P

Thanks for the compliments on the photos guys, and I'll try to find some more interesting critters to capture a few stills of.

I've been trying not to feed the troll, but I agree the attempt at humor was a little over the top. Poaching isn't a joking issue and it's a shame that some try to make light of it.....

On a positive note, the sharpies at this lek are kicking it into high gear and it is always a nice treat to watch them for a short period of time at least once or twice a week. They had a coyote (more of a coydog due to it's huge size) sizing them up, but unfortunately for him we blew his cover. Poor bugger really had his heart set on a sharp-tail sandwich :P

Thanks for the compliments on the photos guys, and I'll try to find some more interesting critters to capture a few stills of.

Didn't mean to hijack your post Jeff and also meant to compliment you on some great photography........Maybe it's the Police Lake thing or StreamWatch but I just have NO tolerance for poaching and while I'm sure Jermie made the comment in jest it just hit me the wrong way...........Nice work on the photos.....

Al.....

Didn't mean to hijack your post Jeff and also meant to compliment you on some great photography........Maybe it's the Police Lake thing or StreamWatch but I just have NO tolerance for poaching and while I'm sure Jermie made the comment in jest it just hit me the wrong way...........Nice work on the photos.....

Al.....

No worries Al,

I don't blame you for taking it serious, because it is a serious matter (whether it be fishing or hunting). A zero tolerance for poaching is what everyone needs to help us self-regulate our resources, and keep them around for future generations.

Beautiful tom there Monger. I haven't been drawn for turkey yet, but plan on getting out for a gobbler sometime in the next few years. What did the beard go?

Thanks Jeff. He was a big bodied bird, but not much of a beard. My partners both got Tom's as well. One was a huge bird with about a 9" beard, the other a jake. The jake actually had a bigger beard than mine. It was only around 5" (I actually didn't bother to measure it since it was so short). It was nice to get out of Alberta and escape this storm you guys got to enjoy. We brought our rods along, but the it was -10C in the morning and most of the lakes are still frozen on the west of the mountains as well.