Fly Fusion Forums

Why?

ladystrange

why is it that with so many tiers, even new tiers, that there is such limited participation in fly swaps. it seems to be the same 5 or 6 people and then we wait for another 5 people show some interest

lazy, no time and too busy, didn't check the swap board, uncertain about your own ability???

i mean seriously. especially if you are learning or just want to braoden your current abilities with new techniques, swaps are a great way to learn. all it takes iw a few hours one night to tie up 12.

It is a good question. And I'll catch hell for my response--my perspective.

In short, a swap is WAY down on a list of things to do--well it is not even on my list. Yeah, I am busy ... close to finishing the last of 4 winter work gigs ... been doing Stream Watch stuff ... have to tie some more Cuba flies and pack for Cuba. Am batching for two weeks prior to Cuba too .. so hafta do household chores and cook--well I do most of the cooking anyway. A swap takes a time commitment and a swap is not even on my radar screen. Sorry.

Here's my big concern. The last one I participated in returned me some really good flies (ass covered) ... but on a couple of previous ones (not this group), I was unhappy with the flies that were returned. A couple of crap flies, but mostly just patterns I will never use.

Tell me when, tell me what, and I'll have a go, just need to know where to send them really, and how many to do, can have them in the post by day after tomorrow, mind it takes about 6 days to get to Canada, but if you don't mind that I'm up for it.

john

the swaps are listed under the swap sub topic. i think the deadline will be some time in march. i dont think the date has been set. we have another person from the UK in the swap so no problems there.

i see your point Dryfly.

I find it boring to tie a dozen extra flies, that and it irritates me to be "particular" about my flies. I participated the cross pond swap 'cause it interested me and i got to tie what i wanted to tie..

perhaps the biggest thing, the more time i spend at the vice, the more i want to go fishing and it aggravates me to my limits when i can't

I honestly do not have time occaisionally I get a few hours to tie but not enough for me to make the commitment to a swap...... My poor excuse is work..... I have spent the last 6 months perpetually on call and whenever I try to sit down and tie it seems to be 2 wraps of thread and ring ring someone needs me to hold their hand at work...... And thats just my superiors....... It really sucks to train your new boss who has no experience and just happens to be someones brother........ Some people don't quite get that you can't teach years of experience. (I better not even get started on my staff) Sorry about the rant but lack of tying time, let alone quiet time, quality time, and fishing time has become a really touchy subject for me as of late.....

;) however after March the 8th this just might not be a problem anymore......

Ladystrange

I have to say that the reason i don't do swaps anymore is along the same lines as Dryfly's. The last fly swap I was in was a disappointment to say the least. We were to get the list of materials along with the flies. I recieved the flies (about 3 months late), two were falling apart, no list of materials and no list of what the flies were even called. So now I just tie for myself and a few friends. I don't get alot of time to tie right now as well, with an 8 yr old that takes up most of my free time, and getting up at 3am every day to go to work really cuts into the short amount of time i have to tie. Russ C

Fly swaps only work if the participants follow the guidelines, saying that the swap I ran would have been a little smoother if they had actually read the bloody guidelines! I Emailed and posted them for all participants and there were a few that seemed to think that they were exempt from following them. Luckily the swap went off well and was amusing to say the least.

One good thing about swaps is that you will get patterns that you normally never tie. I try to keep the originals for reference but some of them are just to good to look at and get fished to bits!

Anyone involved in a swap with me is sure to get something out of the ordinary as I hate convention.

TLs

sorry dave, i dont have a wife to swap. LOL :P

most of the answers are what i expected. i respect that many of you dont have time. i was just curious. i'm glad a few people decided to fill in the blank spots and a few of them are new.

it is too bad that both Russ and clive have had bad experiences with swaps and the quality of craftsmanship. i suppose that is the risk you take when joining one. to date, i have not had any bad flies come back to me and all have been on time.

I'd gladly do 'em but in my line of work I spend every second I'm home, with the kids, or fishing, instead of tying. Lately I've had far too few hours to myself, so my biggest fear would be that I'd commit to a swap, and then not be able to make time (or want to make time) to tie the flies.

And I got no one to tie with now, I can't afford to drive to Leth for tuesday nights even if I was at home, and I can't tie by myself I find it really boring. I gotta be yapping about the fishing, to tie effectively. And talking to my wife about fhshing is like her talking to me about shoe shopping....

Guest Rocknbugs
Cause I'm just plain cranky at this time of year and don't want to give up the goods on my secret stuff...

LOL........honesty is the first step.

Guest Rocknbugs

I would love to but personally I think my tying sucks *hit so I am in the uncertain about your own ability catergory. That being said I have close 300 flies stuck in a piece of foam that I have tied up in the last month or 2 that I would be willing to donate to any cause or anybody that would like some.

I have been in a plethora of swaps. Been swapping since sometime in '96. I have held a few and sure from either perspective I have had flops. Sometimes it is this wierd failing of some of the swappers to actually read the destructions of the swap and sometimes it was life stuff getting in the way.

I have NEVER worried about the quality of flies I received. Many new tyers want to enter a swap and they are scared to because they are not as proficient as they wish to be. I encourage them because swaps make all of us better tyers. To get all bent out of shape over a couple of flies that were not up to "our" standards may be kind of unfair to the guy or girl who is trying to be a better tyer through a swap. Perhaps soomeone should hold a swap for only the really good tyers.

Time is always a factor and I respect that. Some of us just want to tie for ourselves and friends and I respect that as well, but swaps are a part of this community and I believe that we need to look on them as a communal project and part of what makes this site what it is.

I should note that over the last 12 years I have only been screwed out of flies three times. Once for a swap of 22 flies each, then another for a swap of 12 flies each and the last was for another dozen or so. So getting ripped off once every four years is the trade-off.

If you are worried about the quality of your flies I would say don't. You only get better with practice and help. Swapmeisters and other swappers have always been helpful to me when learning new skills through a swap and we as a community should be helping new tyers improve, shouldn't we? Or have I got the philosophy of a flyfishing community all wrong?

I have NEVER worried about the quality of flies I received. Many new tyers want to enter a swap and they are scared to because they are not as proficient as they wish to be. I encourage them because swaps make all of us better tyers. To get all bent out of shape over a couple of flies that were not up to "our" standards may be kind of unfair to the guy or girl who is trying to be a better tyer through a swap. Perhaps soomeone should hold a swap for only the really good tyers.

As a really new tyer I have to say, Thanks.

My biggest concern about entering swaps was not being able to tie professional looking flies...yet

I entered anyways. That way maybe I can get some feedback from others who have more experience tying that I can use to improve the quality of my flies.

Mike in the last swap I was in on flyangler.ca I had to tie Spey flies from a wet fly pattern. I pestered the other swappers who were more proficient at Speys (I had never tied one) for information on each step and the material selection. I always find that asking as you go may work as well as the suggestions after the fact, but it is whatever you are comfortable with.....Kerry

No more hijacking LadyS! I apologize and shall go and thoroughly chastise myself! :unsure:

Don't ever worry about the quality of your tying, as long as you do the best you can then thats fine, I've known great fly tyers who have been stuck over a swap pattern they've not seen before, or a technique they've not used before, I'll fish any flie I'm given and be greatful for it as I believe that person who tied that fly has done her or his best and it deserves to be fished, and a response as to it's fishability, god I've had fish on bare hooks, so don't be frightened to put yourself forward for a fly swap, we can all learn something from each other, thats what fishing is all about

T/L

John