Fly Fusion Forums

Daphnia Pattern

DonAndersen

never had one of those moments...

<_<

Edit: If that's the case (and not one big fisherman's lie :P ) then I'm willing to bet you're fishing water that isn't conducive to a large daphnia population. because it happens alllll the time over here. Where every fish you pump is just filled with daphnia, and they won't take anything else. Almost as bad as a glass midge hatch

Tako,

Over here they seem to vary in color. When I made these last spring, all I'd seen the year before were red. This year, olive. Go figure.

Still playing with the idea. From what I've read and talked to folks about this bug is that I composes a large food source in the late summer> early fall time frame.

Got to get some olive beads and try it again.

Thank God we don't have glass worms.

catch ya'

Don

Yup, sort of a green/olive stringy material with orange blobs mixed within. Let me know how they work out. Those orange blobs should be good triggers.

When you also get that zooplankton pattern figured out, let me know ;)

I ran out of size 50's.....you got any left? :lol:

Tups....

The hook is Mustad 79580 - most anything would/could work

The posts are 15 lb. clear monofilament and is bent using a heat gun. The mono is attached to a bull clip. The mono is threaded past a nail where the heat is applied. Mono, once it gets hot stays bent after cooling.

The beads - whack a 60's broad and steal her head band or visit your local beader.

The mono ends are "balled" with a BIC lighter and while still soft, the bead slid into place and a tad of Super Glue is placed on the bead.

The thread used is invisible sewing thread over a white thread base on the book. Everything is bonded together with Super Glue.

I'm now looking for some green slimy beads.

catch ya'

Don

• 1 month later...

Super idea gentleman. Many a pump in early spring or late fall render Daphnia only, when I fish the interior with my father. I've tried to use size 24 salmon egg with green mohair, but, this will have to be created for my early May trip. The bug is proliferant here too and this may be the ticket (thinking of ice out at Beaver). Again, great idea. Will try to post a photo of my creation.

Cheers, chronie63