Fly Fusion Forums

Homage Patterns Contest

bulltrout

Ok so I had this all tied up last night and didn't get around to taking a photo.

This one is for one of the few people I have ever watched do a fly tying demo live. I really enjoyed his demonstration at last years expo. A fly that I would imagine pretty much everyone owns or has fished in the past.

The chartreuse and white Clouser.

Hook: Mustad size 4 #34011

Thread: white 6/0 (3/0 probably would be better)

Body: Chartreuse and white bucktail, Pearlescent Crystal Flash

Gills: Red floss

Eyes: Red Dumbell Eyes

2233418397_df544dbd36.jpg

The red "gill" is actually influence from Maxwell.

OK I'll bite. I wasn't going to, but what the hey. I don't even know if this counts, but it's a pattern that I learned from an old time tackle shop owner. I've still not seen anything like it in stores, or fished a nymph that has worked in so many places across BC and AB.

Hook: Mustad 9671 or similar sizes 10-16

Thread: Green

Tail: Stacked Elk

Body: Hare's ear

Rib: Gold

Wings: White goose biot

Collar: Peacock herl

Bead: Silver

Random-Flies-Hybrid.jpg

And here she is in action:

2007-CBL20.jpg

I'll throw one out there too. Matt King showed me how to tie this stonefly just before Christmas. I have yet to fish it, but I have no doubt that it will do the trick. Matt showed me this pattern after I told him I was leaving the Island for Calgary. I was upset that I would be missing the steelhead season on the Cowichan, but Matt cheered me up by saying "On the Bow, there are brown's as big as steelhead." Matt is a great guy, with lots of time and patience for the million stupid questions I had. If you're in Victoria, make sure you stop by Robinson's and see Matt.

post-1757-1202066812.jpg

Guest bigbadbrent
I'll throw one out there too. Matt King showed me how to tie this stonefly just before Christmas. I have yet to fish it, but I have no doubt that it will do the trick. Matt showed me this pattern after I told him I was leaving the Island for Calgary. I was upset that I would be missing the steelhead season on the Cowichan, but Matt cheered me up by saying "On the Bow, there are brown's as big as steelhead." Matt is a great guy, with lots of time and patience for the million stupid questions I had. If you're in Victoria, make sure you stop by Robinson's and see Matt.

There's reasons i called Matt when i knew i was going out there..his flies are awesome..

Nice tie Jed

Homage to our very own Dryfly - Clive

Black Mink

hook - tiemco 2457 - #12

Bead - brass

Thread dark brown

rib: Gutermann W331 metalic gold thread

Body: dark Mink dubbing or olive-brown crystal dub (i used a mix of mahogany and golden brown hairs ear which is why it is brown in stead of black)

blackmink.jpg