Fly Fusion Forums

Alberta RELM Angling Advisories for ES2, PP1 and NB3

This is a new change/correction that involves ES2, PP1 and NB3.

• Angling advisories remain in place for parts of Alberta including southern portions of ES2, PP1 and NB3, where declining river flows and hot weather can result in warmer water temperatures that can cause stress to fish. Anglers can help support the health of our fisheries by following angling practices that reduce impacts to fish:
  • Fish only in stocked ponds and lakes – avoid fishing in creeks and rivers
  • Fish early in the morning when temperatures are cooler
  • Using slightly heavier tackle can help you reel in a fish quickly, which helps reduce exhaustion and improve recovery
  • Keep fish wet at all times and minimize handling time
  • Use single point, single hook lures or flies (example: no treble hooks or multiple hooks on a single lure or fly).

https://mywildalberta.ca/fishing/advisories-corrections-closures/default.aspx

Edited by BowLurker
revisions
  • Like 1

I fished the Bow yesterday. At 2:00 pm, the water temp was 63.7F and the fish were rising to the abundant spent, egg laying Caddis. The trout hooked in the previous hour (3), were rockets and next to impossible to land. The last trout hooked at 1:40 pm, a 18"-19" Rainbow, broke off 6 lb. tippet as it raced out to mid-river and upstream. Heat stressed trout were nowhere to be found. TOD restrictions are an unnecessary disruption to the short fishing season and have no conservation benefits. In fact, there are numerous scientific papers on the topic which clearly show that C&R angling has no population level effects. C&R angling in low flow, high water temperature also have no measurable population level impacts. So, would one of the "Hooters" please provide scientific evidence that TOD restrictions have population level benefits.

• Like 6

Now they try and “guilt you” into not fishing flowing waters by saying it’s much better fishing stocked ponds and lakes. Ahem, pine coulee reservoir, lol. Yes, agreed all the fish I have hooked were rockets as well on the bow. Now I can potentially agree that small foothill freestone creeks could be potentially closed aka sheep river, Highwood below Longview, yada yada, but to put on a carte Blanche on all southern Alberta streams is extreme laziness at its worst. Rivers like the bow have enough deep water and shady banks to provide all the shelter a fish could/would need. Fish alter their habitat during the day by moving out to deeper water then slide back into pockets and deflectors as the sun goes down. I am going to go out tomorrow morning and shut down at 2 and not feel guilty. The minute I see distressed fish is the minute I shut it down. To date this year, I have not seen a distressed fish unless it is a fool fishing a 3 wt with 2 lb tippet and taking 10 min to drag in a fish and take multiple pics….

• Like 6

I have seen distressed fish a month ago so totally disagree with Toolman and Passrat. Surely giving the fish a break for 1 month isn't going to cramp your style too much? Come on, do what's best for the fishery or soon it will end up like the atlantic cod fiasco in the east and the steelhead debacle in the northwest. Be a big boy!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think common sense is the best action in this case. I went out to a foothills stream, beforehand I checked water level and when I got there took the temperature. The level was in the normal range for this time of year and the temp was 55 F. So caught plenty of feisty fish. When I shut it down at 1:45 the water temp was 60 F. A couple of years ago I tried to fish a different stream. When I got there the level was really low and the water temp was 70F. I did not fish and as I was leaving saw a small trout float by belly up, maybe someone fishing upstream. 

• Like 2

I agree with things being said about time of day restrictions but I don’t think you guys are looking at the whole picture. Forecasted weather is also playing a part in this and I don’t think it would be a good idea to announce it is back open just to close it a couple days later. Most people on here could fish safely during this whole period because you are all educated on playing and releasing fish quickly and doing it in the right areas of the river. But probably 80 percent of people out there haven’t got a clue and don’t pay attention to those details. Example hook a fish in a riffle and over play it into a stagnant pool downstream. I sure if we all think about the way we have seen other people fish there would be a hundred other examples of stressing fish. I think the fish are enjoying a little break as well lol. Just my thoughts but I’m sure I might take a bit of a beat down from some

dwday... Meaning, release mortality goes from 2% too 3.5% (at 73F, and it rarely gets that high), which will have zero population level impact on the fishery. And should we restrict angling in all of S. Alberta even if water temps are not high in the Alpine streams? Seems a bit much to me and quite frankly, ridiculous. Fishery conservation policy needs to be driven by scientific fact and evidence, not opinion polls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I simply posted some new ADVISORIES for said areas. Whewph..even true Science is getting run-over these days! Didn't want to start yet another diatribe about whether we should fish or not...etc..etc... . Deep breaths, everyone. YES I am the OP! I simply wanted to notify folks that might not know about the new areas.

If one is reading the Forums for the first time, and trying to learn about the difference between 65ºF and 73ºF fishing here in the Bow Valley...in-fighting is pointless, and 3+yr-old studies of another watershed does not equal our Valley. I respect your posts @toolman and will continue to do so. 

If I'm able to get out there and fish, with all of you out there too, I'm in!! Let's go! They are sluggish here in Calgary, so get geared up with heavier tippet and get them back quick! Stop photographing our fish to death! Get out early and have some fun! 

The last posts I made about creating a new ' ES1 - Alpine ' zone were serious. Maybe it's time to separate the Carseland measurements from the Alpine? 

We've had numerous folks come into the shop, younger, maybe fly fishing for a couple - 3 years... didn't even know about the new advisories, let alone the ES1. Sigh.

• Like 1

I’m in agreement with a lot of things you are saying toolman. I don’t think they need to do tod restrictions to all of ES1 because it doesn’t make sense if water temps are cooler. I fished 2 streams this week with temps at 54 and 55F at the hottest part of the day that were in the high country.  We need better management of our streams as well as better education. It’s probably been said a hundred times on here but it would be nice to have to take a course to purchase a fishing licence,   another opinion of mine. Sorry if I was out of line in any way

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dwday said:

Sorry if I was out of line in any way

Whoo Doggie, yes @dwday...yes! We need more focus on the 'before parts'. It sounds so simple.. you take a course for a Hunting License...hopefully. Why not some education about vulnerable areas and licensing changes in the Parks ( for example ) as a prerequisite for fishing? Do any of the Tourists/ New Canadians ever buy a license?

Fished today from 11-1, down south, water was very cold, almost too cold for wet wading, fish were all very eager and happy to take my hopper, lots of energy, 6 lb fluoro and the fish were in to the hand, and then quickly released with no apparent immediate effects. Yes, agree with not using a monitoring station at Carseland and applying across the board. Likely agree with having another station in the mountains and basing mountain streams on those parameters and foothill streams on foothill monitoring stations. Again, my opinion…

• Like 2

Our government can't/won't afford another temperature monitoring device other than the one at Carsland. That would take some investment into the environmental sphere which is certainly frowned upon. Next thing you guys would demand some biologists and technicians actually out in the field collecting real data on populations and such.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1