Fly Fusion Forums

Posting Fishing Locations

I'm interested in getting everyones opinions on blanket postings of specific fishing locations. This board is all about providing info, helping out other flyfisher's etc, but maybe I'm greedy. I cringe every time I see a posting that provides specific details of a location for everyone to see.

I think it's great to help others out, but I also think people should have to do a little research for themselves before getting spoon fed answers. It's one thing to suggest Policeman's, or Fish Creek, or offer to take someone out for an outing, it's another to say, park here, walk down this path until you get to this bend across from the dead spruce, walk straight out, and fish this pool.

...your thoughts!

I don't really see that happening on this board. I've been on here since this board started and I can't really think of any instances where someone has given "exact" details of a fishing location (and I read the posts pretty thoroughly). Personally I think it should be done in a PM if someone really wants to give detailed directions. It is an interesting question though. We want the sport to continue to flourish so it is a good thing to encourage people to learn, but at the same time we don't want our favourite spots to get crowded. Personally I am pretty tight lipped when it comes to the places I fish. I have taken friends to some lesser known spots before, only to find out that they have gone out and shown two or three more of their friends the same spot within a week. I guess next time I'll blindfold them and make sure they didn't bring their GPS! :lol:

That said, I have emptied my inbox so everyone can feel free to PM me all of their secret spots! ;)

Really depends on the Spot now don't it. If it is a well fished spot that will put someone in to fishand give them something to report the next day, fine. but I don't expect anyone to give out their honey holes that no one knows about willy nilly over the net.

On the other hand my old honey holes in Ontario I have provided to several people, who are heading there or moving there. because hell I ain't fishing there very much anymore, and I would rather see a good person enjoy their time out that way. and cut the learning curve down abit for some one learning a new system, and probably a few new species

Teck

here, walk down this path until you get to this bend across from the dead spruce, walk straight out, and fish this pool.

Hey, way to go and blab my favourite spot on the Crow to everyone;) Guess it can't be that big of a secret since the people at the Soltice outing were already posting pictures of it.

I don't get too worried about posting spots, but I think it does have an effect on certain areas. If you post a bunch of pictures from an area that people don't usually fish, you can expect some greater pressure there in the future.

Everyone has their "Favorite" spots, but there truely aren't many "Secret" spots out there left.

I totally understand how it feels to see one of your "Favorite" locations posted because we all like to think we are one of the few that know about it. Chances are, if someone is posting specifics on how to get to one location, they are most likely trying to send people to places other than the spots they want to keep to themselves. Unfortunately, those spots are probably someone else's favorite spot.

Anyone that has fished for a long time remembers the "Good 'Ol Days" when you'd rarely have to share the banks with others. I remember fishing the Crowsnest River for days where I'd only see one or two people....and I'd know them by name. They'd be in "Their" hole, I'd stop for a quick hello and move past, leaving them to their water.

I've accepted that times have changed and know that when I go fishing, I'm going to see people where I want to fish.

I agree that some locations should be kept hush, hush for reasons other than our selfishness. Some rivers and Lakes can't handle the pressure if they get too well known. I also think people should respect the local Anglers as well.

It'd be easy for me, (Or others here), to post the exact locations to a beautiful little stream or lake that was passed on to us that we may or may not ever visit again, but I think out of respect for the locals, we shouldn't. If we do, as Reg said, do it via PM.... ;)

As Reg said, I've been here for quite a long time and have never seen any unknown locations posted in any great detail.

I will add that the people on this site have proven to be very respectful as far as inquiring as to the location of somewhere shown in a photo, or mentioned in a post. If asked respectfully in a PM, I've had no problem giving out the odd secret in the past, but out of respect for people, I try not to get into detail in public posts even though most of the time everyone knows the location.....(ie-Our Wigwam Bulltrout Video. Errr, I mean, Secret Elk Trib Video).

I am reluctant to post fishing locations on any fishing website and especailly in the winter, when the few stretches of open water recieve a lot of fishing pressure. I would suggest getting out and looking around and you will find a piece of open water to fish. Good Luck!

ps. I'll send you a pm.

I like Toolman's approach, but after this there was another post from a different member giving quite specific directions to a spot that already receives a significant amount of pressure, especially in the winter. I agree the sport should be promoted, but I also think that you should have to pay your dues and do a little homework before being spoon fed directions to a very productive spot. Especially one that is already heavily fished, but then maybe these spots are just being used as 'sacrificial lambs' to keep people away from the holes that haven't been exploited...just my thoughts.

I'm a little bitter about posting locations simply because there pigs out there and a nice natural area along a popular river can soon see garbage and fishing line along it's banks. Meaning I either have to clean up after them or just accept the fact that it’s getting trashed.

I agree especially posting saying “there was open water there too”, is not great seeing as if your going fishing there all the fish are concentrated to one area. It’s not really fair to have people pound a wintering hole IMO.

Frankly the crow is crowded so I'm not to fazed, however if I now find garbage and fishing line in that spot I'll be really pissed (not at the person who posted but just people in general).

It really surprises me how people treat the rivers they fish... It seems as if they find the spot themselves there is more respect given to it - however if it is publicly displayed people tend to not treat the area well.

Fishing in Alberta is changing really quickly, and with well over a million people (and rapidly growing) in Southern Alberta there will be changes.

Guest bigbadbrent
I like Toolman's approach, but after this there was another post from a different member giving quite specific directions to a spot that already receives a significant amount of pressure, especially in the winter. I agree the sport should be promoted, but I also think that you should have to pay your dues and do a little homework before being spoon fed directions to a very productive spot. Especially one that is already heavily fished, but then maybe these spots are just being used as 'sacrificial lambs' to keep people away from the holes that haven't been exploited...just my thoughts.

If you think those holes are heavily hit, go fish policemens on a july evening....

and yes, i did post directions to that spot, its HULLSWOOD dude, if thats your favourite spot then sorry, but you really need to start exploring, hullswood is far from being a 'very productive spot', its a medicore spot at best, because of the pressure it gets. The bow has TONs of fish, and there are fish everywhere in the river. And yes, me putting people there, keeps them away from some of the other spots. Hell, if someone asks me, i will tell them, i won't give them the one-over and telling them to just explore. I gave the guy somewhere to start, which is always easier then just kinda wandering around the river.

There are a thousands of spots on the bow, and millions of fish..me giving directions to one location will not change the river. The guy who posted, has been part of this forum since november, he wasn't a rookie to our forum, he was a member asking for some help.

If i told him that he should go into FC and try there, chances are he would have pm'd me and asked for a little more specific. I edited my post.

Anyone that wants directions to anywhere that i know, please send me a message, OR call a fly-shop, they won't tell you to explore, period.

Btw, i sent a message to one of my fishing friends, telling him the exact spot and CASTING location to get into fish for today....uh ohh

I got a pm from a friend this morning asking if a spot he knows I fish has been productive recently. I sent him a reply telling him yes, and specifically where. Nown I got this on my blackberry, and the screens are a bit different. When I send the reply I realize, to my horror, that I had replied TO A POST, not his PM. I erased it as fast asa I could.

Now, if it was just me fishing there I wouldn't care. But I know several other people who do and its out of respect for them that I erased it. Personally, I think its a big river with lots of places to catch fish. I've caught at least one fish at every spot I've been to this winter. That's not because I'm woth a flip at this, its because this river is so prolific.

Ya thanks Rick. I'll try that spot in the am. Guess you didn't delete it fast enough. I don't mind helping people out on this site. Many guys have helped me out with spots on this site and i respect that spot and try not to share it with others. Have i taken people there...of course, but it was usually someone who showed me a spot. It's a nice bartering system we have going on. I will do it thriugh pm or in person though. Why shouldn't we share. It's a big river. As for Hullswood. Who doesn't know where that is, and if you don't know you'll probably end up there at some point if your in fish creek. There is allways someone there and people watch other people. If i see guys fishing the same spot for a week I'm going to try it next time it's open. You can't even post a picture withuot half the board posting that they know that spot. Are we all going to start blurring out the background in all our fish photo posts?

Starting this spring this will be one of the newest hotspots in Southern Alberta 49 00'43.80"N 113 27'23.49"W

Curse me for a smartass, I know but the more the merrier on this one :D

It's the bow river in calgary! i can hike all day, bushwacking and climbing over hills and banks, and i will never find a spot that some idiot hasn't left an empty six-pack of bud and a jar of minnows.

If a friend shows me a small meadow creek with no trace of humans, and asks me not to share it, then I will keep it a secret.

No stretch of water between bearspaw dam and carseland weir is going to benefit from our secrecy, it's far too late.

the city streches of the bow are not exactly secret, but in some places the access is. i think it is nice to help out and give some sort of detail to the conditions in the area and give a place to start from. when it comes to the small rivers and streams away from the 'general' public pressure a pm is best. even then i still am pretty general unless i know the person and only give a starting point and let them explore and find the sweet pools.

there are a few stretches of some beautiful rivers/streams where i fish the most and i hardly see anyone other than around the access points or right next to the provincial campground. what they dont know is that 1/2 mile up or down is some fantastic fishing. i had to fish a new stretch of the river last summer and still didnt get as far down as i wanted to,damn those pools were amazing and it was really cool to explore a new area.

Remind me to ....NEVER!!!......Tell Brent my secret spots on the bow....... in Fish creek park...... that have a THOUSAND pictures posted of them on the board. Dude this one just had to make you laugh a little. Good for you showing someone to a popular spot where you know they'er going to have a good chance at a winter fish. I share the Bow in the city limits quite freely because i know its going to always have alot of people fishing it.(city of 1 000 000 figure it out) There are a hundred great spots with good access, also i'm usually on it from 7pm to 1am and for some reason (i can't figure out why) the river is vacant during these hrs. Yes i have spots that i share with only a few and never on the board (south of the city). I also have a personal policy that I always notify a person who has shared a spot, if i'm going to their spot. But as for the Bow in the city whats there to be all hush about? I don't get it.

P.S--POLICE OUTPOST = HUGE FISH

I never insinuated that Hullswood was a 'secret' spot, though it is a spot that does receive significant pressure; productive or not, that depends on the angler. I've received plenty of help from others, including many from this board and for that I'm very appreciative. I'm also glad to return the favour. I just expressed my concern over exploiting areas for anyone who reads this board to see whether it be Hullswood, Southland, the Crow, Castle etc. When an angler calls a flyshop, and asks for directions that's information given to one person, and eventually a handful of his/her buddies. When you post on here, you're advertising to the masses. I've fished in areas where anglers are lined up by the dozen and feel very fortunate that we don't "yet" have situations like that on Alberta waters, even for anglers like myself who for the most part can only get away on weekends with the rest of the masses.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. This Saturday I'll be in the area of,

Latitude = 50.9037, Longitude = -114.0136

Lat = 50 degrees, 54.2 minutes North

Long = 114 degrees, 0.8 minutes West

...if you see the guy with the red hoodie, stop by and say hi. :D

KnotLikely i agree with you, that when you post on this board it is to the masses and i do hope people keep that in mind. Also your right you didn't insinuate Hullswood was a secret spot i read out of context. Something to add to my first post is that it is important to get beginners into fish because that is what keeps your confidence up and people fishing and if i have to give some good spots on already popular water i will. However, i will through a pm and not to the masses (as i hope to respect the space of those on the board who do only make it out for a couple hrs in the city on the weekend). I've had alot of positive experiences with new members on this board taking them out and it's something i hope to do more of next year.

I don't think it's just the boards that can blow the "cover" on a spot, but they certainly don't help.

A few of my favorite access points on the lower Bow have become incredibly busy over the last year or two and I've never seen them posted on the board here.

I think that these boards have really added to the pressure on the Highwood and Sheep systems though - and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, just stating my opinion.

Good fishing close to large cities doesn't stay under wraps for long, but I believe that the boards speed up the spread of that type of info.

I don't like posting info about where I am, but I have no issues with PMs. I think that the people who contribute and take the time to post here should be helped out in kind.

I don't like posting info about where I am, but I have no issues with PMs. I think that the people who contribute and take the time to post here should be helped out in kind.

Exactly my same thoughts. Those who "contribute" to the community, will always get a few tips from me. Just send me a pm and I'd be happy to help. My advice for the new fisherman or new members, is to get out and explore so that you can discover your own secret spots, as they are to be found most everywhere on the Bow River. Also, maybe try posting in the fishing get togethers as a way of meeting new anglers and sharing fishing spots etc. I personally have invited many new anglers/members out to join me on the river each year, as do many other "contributing" members here at FFC.

I don't feel our online fishing community is supposed to be a free guiding service. There's plenty of good information shared here, openly, with all members and we should be proud of what we have built as a community.

That said, no one has mentioned the conservation perspective that must be considered. As an angler who has spent his fair share of fishing time, contributing to the war on poaching on the Bow River, especailly in the city, I cringe when someone makes a post about all of the big trout they caught at such and such location. Poachers are reading these reports as well. Not to mention, the extreme fishing pressures that a given location quickly receives because of the hype.

In conclusion, I'm not telling anyone what they should think, just clarifying my own views on the subject.

I personally think that we all have our own views on the subject, and we are all correct for ourselves. I don't mind sharing info or taking someone along to some new water for them to give them a fast-track in fishing some new water. That being said, I don't share everything either. I feel that it's my own personal preference to 'give back' as others have helped me & shared with me. Toolman makes a good point in suggesting the 'Get Togethers' section as a lot can be learned and new friends made through that. I'm glad to see the views expressed in this thread and that it has remained a friendly thread. This is a helluva community, this board. I am grateful that it is here for us all to enjoy and hopefully contribute to.

Guest bigbadbrent

I find that the 'Get Together' threads gets ignored by a lot of the 'core' members....Go take a look in that area, and see how many 0 replies there are, or how many replies are of the same guy that posted the topic.

maybe people just don't like fishing with me

personally I don't use the Get togethers section, cause my fishing time is usually created as i am sneakin out the door before the Wifey decides on her Honey do list. but alot of the post are also pretty spur of the moment, but if some one give a few days there usually a reply.