Fly Fusion Forums

Police Outpost Lake

adc

While not quite official, I believe we can safely say that Police Outpost Lake will be governed by new delayed harvest regulations beginning April 1, 2008..........At last discussion with Fish and Wildlife the new regs were on the Minister's desk awaiting final approval before going to print..........I spoke with Barry Mitchell on another issue a few days ago and he had recent discussions with an official in Sustainable Resources in preparation for printing the 2008 Alberta Fishing Guide..........The official advised him to print the new regs in the Guide..........In summary the new regs are:

1) Open for fishing April 1 to October 31

2) Use of bait prohibited

3) Kill limit 1 fish per day over 50 cm.

There are currently 2 aerators operating in the lake........I have not heard reports of how the ice fishing has been to date.......The lake was stocked with 132,000 fish last spring so I'm hoping the ice fishermen are doing well so as to reduce the population which, combined with a reduced stocking in the spring of '08 and the new regs should produce a quality fishery in S.W. Alberta............

As an added bit of good news, when we attended the October Roundtable meetings SR officials indicated they have drafted a strategy for the development of further "quality fisheries" throughout the Province where, in consultation with anglers, the objective will be to have two such fisheries per Fisheries Management Zone and thus more angler choice..........This is a significant and positive change from the current procedures to establish these types of fisheries.......

Thanks to all that worked on this project, especially the folks at Fish and Wildlife and Sustainable Resources and certainly including those of you who supported these efforts last spring with your emails to F&W........Happy New Year!!

Awesome!!

I had heard that Terry hadn't heard anything yet, but this is great news!!

For all you folks from Calgary... Police is weedy, full of drunk locals, and will probably never take off from all the local poaching. Plus if you can find a wind free day, good luck. Wind free days are when the fish stay on the bottom from a passing cold front.

Bullshead is a much better lake, easier to get to, and you can't beat the scenery. I hear Bullshead will also be producing many +30in fish.

Cheers,

Awesome!!

For all you folks from Calgary... Police is weedy, full of drunk locals, and will probably never take off from all the local poaching. Plus if you can find a wind free day, good luck. Wind free days are when the fish stay on the bottom from a passing cold front.

Bullshead is a much better lake, easier to get to, and you can't beat the scenery. I hear Bullshead will also be producing many +30in fish.

Cheers,

Yeah, those Mormons down there are all closet drinkers and/or messed up on crystal meth. If you hear banjo music, run! Wouldn't want anyone to get the Ned Beatty :P :P :P

Awesome!!

Cheers,

Nice try but no need to be protectionist, Harps............Lots of water there to fish, an awesome campsite, great scenery and it WILL grow big fish.........We NEED lots of folks fishing it and praising it's virtues..............There will be a review based on angler's opinion of the quality of the fishery and the new regs after 3 years............It will be up to us to ensure that review is positive, assuming of course, the fishery is true quality which I believe it will be..........

Nice try but no need to be protectionist, Harps............Lots of water there to fish, an awesome campsite, great scenery and it WILL grow big fish.........We NEED lots of folks fishing it and praising it's virtues..............There will be a review based on angler's opinion of the quality of the fishery and the new regs after 3 years............It will be up to us to ensure that review is positive, assuming of course, the fishery is true quality which I believe it will be..........

There's no doubt it can grow some big fish... looks like I'm gonna have to learn something about stillwater FFing...lookin' forward to it.

Thanks adc

Okay, Okay.

We all know Police will Rock.

In all honesty, I don't really lake fish, but I'm really looking forward to having this nearby.

It'll be good for the opponents to see that kids can fish it from the shore and do great and will enjoy releasing massive fish over and over again.

2009 Spring flyfishing clave at the Police Campground...

Cheers,

My buddy was on a plane with one of the F&W Bios and he said it was a done deal. Now all you fair weather folks will have to learn to fish in the weekly hurricanes. Thanks for all the hard work to get our "leaders" to open their minds to change.

There are BIG fish in there already my dads friend pulled out a five pounder last week and several 3 to 4 all over 20". All made it back to their home under the ice. I love that lake glad to hear about the new regs. I've been fishing there since i was three and my uncle was the CO there 25 years ago. It's had ups and downs but every trip worth it. Glad the winter harvest is going to end it is a total meat market.

Great news. Thanks for pushing me (and others) to write when you did Clive. Any word from infrastructure about paving the road in or is that already done? I've never made the trip to Police but I certainly do like stillwater fly fishing. Rick.

There are BIG fish in there already my dads friend pulled out a five pounder last week and several 3 to 4 all over 20". All made it back to their home under the ice. I love that lake glad to hear about the new regs. I've been fishing there since i was three and my uncle was the CO there 25 years ago. It's had ups and downs but every trip worth it. Glad the winter harvest is going to end it is a total meat market.

Troutlover is your uncles name Ron?

Good to hear...hopefully everything goes smoothly. I'm sure there's still a lot of work out there regarding perception, and hopefully things get off to a strong start.

Looking forward to meeting you guys out at your lake now...and have the option to spend the night around the fire.

Good to hear...hopefully everything goes smoothly. I'm sure there's still a lot of work out there regarding perception, and hopefully things get off to a strong start.

Looking forward to meeting you guys out at your lake now...and have the option to spend the night around the fire.

I'm hoping by fall it could be pretty good, Tim.......Thanks for all of your Bullshead wisdom on this............Look forward to sharing that campfire and a dram of good Malt........

Al...

Nice work adc. We should fish together some day.

Was nice to see folks like Rick and many (many) here write letters of support.

It will be interesting to see how the lake and fish respond to the regs.....and just how the campground will fill up. It WILL take dedicated use to keep the regs in place. But if it's anything like Bullshead it will be here forever.

We should fish together some day.

Yeah, like tomorrow!!!!..............You bring the sandwiches and I'll bring the soup........Too bad you're not like Bloom and I'd throw in the flask with a bit of Malt........See ya at 9:40........ :P

Awesome!!

Cheers,

On the contrary all you guys from Calgary. Police is the closest thing you will find to heaven (actually tied with Bullshead) in southern Alberta. Full of huge fish just waiting to inhale whatever you may have to offer. They will challenge you just enough to keep things interesting. Oh did I mention the past record rainbow in Alberta came out of Police! :)

On the contrary all you guys from Calgary. Police is the closest thing you will find to heaven (actually tied with Bullshead) in southern Alberta. Full of huge fish just waiting to inhale whatever you may have to offer. They will challenge you just enough to keep things interesting. Oh did I mention the past record rainbow in Alberta came out of Police! :)

Thanks Gary...

:P

That's great news. You fellas needed a lake like that in that neck of the woods. May have to make my way down there in the future.

Maybe times and attitudes are finally, maybe slowly starting to change. Two special regs lakes in each fish zone? Too good to be true but here's hoping.

There is going to be some nice fish in BH this season. I'll have to get out early opening day to get a parking spot and catch a few big ones before they disappear.