Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing New Year's Resolutions

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4. fish Gar and Bass in Belleville ON, and Browns in the Elora Gorge this summer

Same here, I wanted to hit the Bay of Quinte for gar last summer but didn't get around to it. They look like a blast. I did get to spend a lot of time on the Moira river near Belleville and found some great bass fishing.

Same here, I wanted to hit the Bay of Quinte for gar last summer but didn't get around to it. They look like a blast. I did get to spend a lot of time on the Moira river near Belleville and found some great bass fishing.

next time out that way try the Black river just outside Picton on the island there are some lunker bucket mouth in there by the cheese factory.

hoping also to make it to Ottawa for Muskie on the fly but that may be far fetched

next time out that way try the Black river just outside Picton on the island there are some lunker bucket mouth in there by the cheese factory.

hoping also to make it to Ottawa for Muskie on the fly but that may be far fetched

Thanks for the tip, I haven't found too much in the way of largemouth out there.

If you're in Belleville and want muskie you should consider making the 30 minute drive to Tweed to fish Stoco lake. There are some absolute beasts in there.

can't wait to see the pics of the burbot and sturgeon you pull out...:D

I was thinking the same thing 'Burbot', although late fall you might actually stand a chance. I don't even like looking at them, nasty lizard mutant fish. ;) Their our Snake-fish.

My FF'n resolution is to devote more time to fill the other 1/2 of my brain with trout hunting skills. I've learned so much in the whole 2 months I've had FF'ing, that when I get to the water it all becomes too much for now. I think I've learned most of the 'hard way' lessons (1 month/$60 flies). Not that when I get to the water now I'm completely prepared but I'm getting there.

I think preparedness is the most important thing I've become aware of. The difference between a good time and a frustration is always obstacles, but when your wading, or adrift you need everything on hand, and a few items tethered and close by. I think the next item in a "complete FF'ing combo" has to be a vest, pre-rigged with the essentials. Compared to spin cast fishing, its night and day regarding tackle, which is what I think I've gotten straight finally.

I'm looking forward to my first Spring and Summer FF'ing, and meeting some of the most helpful, and friendly people you could meet. I'm becoming used to it somewhat now, but I still remember being amazed at the level of generosity found at this and a couple other FF'ing forums. I believe to some degree that most FF'ers have more in common then by chance. I'm sure its attributed to the sportsmanship, patience ( :unsure: ), and love of nature that FF'ers share. Although I'm still guilty of needing more patience at times.

Thank you all again for the tremendous help I've gotten from so many members I've lost track. I hope your kindness is returned to you and your families.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

One of each Alberta game fish on the fly, its gonna be a busy year for me. :P

Colin

That is an awesome goal IMO. You don't need to spend your life's savings doing it, but you'll need a basket full of time and skill. Best of luck, truly. If I may, I'd suggest making a detailed journal of it, even if you don't want to share it with the world.

Heck, I'll join you, we'll buy a VW camper and fill it with who ever is crazy enough to come, and make the "Alberta trout bum diaries"

I can see the film trailer now.....

17 fish................................12 months.........................1 man/woman

Brown Trout Rainbow Trout

Cutthroat Trout Brook Trout

Lake Trout Bull Trout

Golden Trout Mountain Whitefish

Lake Whitefish Arctic Grayling

Walleye Sauger

Yellow Perch Northern Pike

Goldeye Burbot

Lake Sturgeon

fish more than last year

Brown Trout >>>>>>>> check

Rainbow Trout >>>>>>>check

Cutthroat Trout >>>>>>> check

Brook Trout >>>>>>>>>check

Lake Trout >>>>>>>>>on the list

Bull Trout >>>>>>>>>on the list

Golden Trout >>>>>>>>> definately on the list and plan in place

Mountain Whitefish >>>>>>check

Lake Whitefish >>>>>> hummm, i'll have to think about it

Arctic Grayling>>>>>>check

Walleye >>>>>>>>>stupid tags

Sauger >>>>>>>> red deer river???

Yellow Perch >>>>>>talk sundancefisher in to letting me fish again

Northern Pike >>>>> check

Goldeye >>>>>> red deer river???

Burbot >>>>>> ask Kenbow about his secrets

Lake Sturgeon >>>> on the list of accidental catches.

else where but probably wont be this year

Steelhead

coho

chinook

sockeye

pink

chum

deep sea fishing - plan in the works and won't be with a fly rod

learn to spey and not look like a complete idiot

I'm with Glenbow and LS. i have talked about going for golden trout for about 15 years but never done it. Now that i'm fly fishing i want to do it even more. If anyone is planning that this summer I'm in if ya got room.

I'm with Glenbow and LS. i have talked about going for golden trout for about 15 years but never done it. Now that i'm fly fishing i want to do it even more. If anyone is planning that this summer I'm in if ya got room.

Ed! Quick! Jump in!, Help us Push start it first!

lms_wacky_door.JPG

I have two resolutions.

1. Get that pontoon boat that I received from my wife 15 months ago into the water for the first time....(how sad is that??)

2. Spend an extra 2 minutes watching the water when I come across a pool of rising fish instead of just marching in and chucking. Man this will be a tough one...

Best wishes in 2008!

DW

hey troutslayer, pipestone and i were talking about a heli trip for golden in august, probably a weekend trip... none of this hiking crap. LOL

Trailhead. i'll be south. come fish with me.

Birchy - take your pants off. you dont need waders if it is 20 - 30 degrees. that's what shorts and water socks are for.