Fly Fusion Forums

Attempt At A Detached Body

Din

Guest bigbadbrent

very, very, very solid. Nothing to comment other then clean up that eye(not that you're selling it or displaying it).....I can't tie extended bodies to save my life man, nice, very nice tie

parachute might be a bit long, so it may tend to want to tip over on you.

Din,

I'd suspect that it will sink like a stone [not a golden - like a rock]. It appears like you used deer hair for detached tail. When wrapped tightly, the air capsules within the deerhair collapse and the fly won't float well if at all. The hackle is too small to lend support to the body of the fly. The wing to too long and will cause the fly to lay on it's side. Further, detached bodies, while looking good rarely fish well as the body is just stiff enough to force the fly out of the mouth of the fish. If you wish to make detached bodies, use some type of yarn material. Take a strand, tie it in @ the bend of the hook, rotate it a number of times and tie it again @ the bend of the hook. The yarn is soft and the hooking misses tend to disappear, the yarn will soak up floatant, the yarn is less weight than deer hair. A lot of problems disappear when using yarn for detached tails. Mind you, you won't get the tailing fibers w/o a lot of effort. The only mayfly imitation that may require a detached body are brown drakes and Hexs. Either of which are late night hatches and rarely require the guile of daylight ties.

catch ya'

Don

Din,

I'd suspect that it will sink like a stone [not a golden - like a rock]. It appears like you used deer hair for detached tail. When wrapped tightly, the air capsules within the deerhair collapse and the fly won't float well if at all. The hackle is too small to lend support to the body of the fly. The wing to too long and will cause the fly to lay on it's side. Further, detached bodies, while looking good rarely fish well as the body is just stiff enough to force the fly out of the mouth of the fish. If you wish to make detached bodies, use some type of yarn material. Take a strand, tie it in @ the bend of the hook, rotate it a number of times and tie it again @ the bend of the hook. The yarn is soft and the hooking misses tend to disappear, the yarn will soak up floatant, the yarn is less weight than deer hair. A lot of problems disappear when using yarn for detached tails. Mind you, you won't get the tailing fibers w/o a lot of effort. The only mayfly imitation that may require a detached body are brown drakes and Hexs. Either of which are late night hatches and rarely require the guile of daylight ties.

catch ya'

Don

Don,

Thanks for the reply. You're right it is deer hair that I used. Thanks for the tip on the yarn material, and everything else you've mentioned. Tying these takes took long for my liking anyways. Maybe ill plop it in the water just so I put my mind at rest that it will sink on me. Thanks again.

You guys were talking about the fly tipping over due to the parachute post. Is there a formula or comparison measurement to how long those parachute posts should be?

Also could you use a foam extendo body? Is it critical you get the tail in there?

Thanks!

Guest bigbadbrent

Foam extended work well....

Din, try putting some floatant on it, i've had lots of flies that crash in a sink, but float like crazy with some Gink

Detatched foam body with tails here

Front end of the fly here

I don't usually have a problem with the deer hair bodies sinking, yours looks shiny though, have you varnished it?

thanks for the link. yes its varnished. the pattern I was following told me to do so...