Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Trout Population & Protection

The Bow is finally starting to shape up and we should be fishing in reasonably clear water before the end of the month. Before our minds are totally switched onto rainbows and browns, consider the following:

All this talk about the devastation that Whirling Disease will bring to the fishery - just how long has its been here and what impact has it had on the rainbow population? AEP has been very quiet on this subject. They have not published any fish population surveys since 2005, although there was a survey conducted just before or after the 2013 flood. We need to know what the populations dynamics are on a regular basis to monitor the impact of WD.
Bow River Trout plans to push an agenda for annual or biannual trout populations surveys.

The recent announcement that logging will take place in the upper reaches of the Highwood watershed is concerning. We need to consider that the Bow River's spawning ground and nursery is the Highwood River and it tributaries. Reduced spawning success will lead to fewer rainbows in the Bow River.
Bow River Trout will keep a watchful eye on these developments.

Support our initiatives and join Bow River Trout Foundation.

https://bowrivertrout.org/membership-donations/

I agree, I think annual or bi-annual population surveys would be a useful management tool going forward.

From what I've read, the planned logging in the Highwood is a travesty. A BC logging contractor is cutting the timber and then shipping it to BC to be processed in one of their mills. Based on the current stumpage rates this is going to contribute approximately $94,000 to the provincial coffers. I don't usually take this stance, but it's hard to argue this plan benefits Alberta in any way, shape or form.

• Like 2

Bcube:

It will come once more details of the logging permits are understood.

Have a read of the following Calgary Herald article.

http://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/sjogren-and-legault-we-can-do-a-better-job-of-caring-for-k-country

I've read it and have followed it pretty closely. Just saying that actually having a stance and a letter provided to the government showing that stance will go a lot further then 'keeping a watchful eye'.

Not to derail guys but there has been BC-based logging contractors tearing up the west country up here for years now. A lot of it is not staying in one of the local mills for processing either. I agree with the above, however this is not something new. Forestry regulators are just puppets for the timber industry.

Logging is always a hot subject for back country recreational use.And as you say Norhtfork logging practices are difficult to change. But the issues here is to make sure " responsible logging practices" are used. I for one am not sure what they may be given the industrialization of logging in recent years. But I intend to find out. Rather than objecting to everything, a "softer sell" of our concerns for the fishery may get more results. Nevertheless, the following Facebook page is a place to express our concerns:

https://www.facebook.com/stand.highwood/

• Like 2

I agree, I think annual or bi-annual population surveys would be a useful management tool going forward.

From what I've read, the planned logging in the Highwood is a travesty. A BC logging contractor is cutting the timber and then shipping it to BC to be processed in one of their mills. Based on the current stumpage rates this is going to contribute approximately $94,000 to the provincial coffers. I don't usually take this stance, but it's hard to argue this plan benefits Alberta in any way, shape or form.

Especially given how considerate BC is to albertas export needs.

• Like 4

Logging is always a hot subject for back country recreational use.And as you say Norhtfork logging practices are difficult to change. But the issues here is to make sure " responsible logging practices" are used. I for one am not sure what they may be given the industrialization of logging in recent years. But I intend to find out. Rather than objecting to everything, a "softer sell" of our concerns for the fishery may get more results. Nevertheless, the following Facebook page is a place to express our concerns:

https://www.facebook.com/stand.highwood/

Thanks for the link I will check it out even though I'm not on Facebook. Further to your post, try and speak with government forestry staff as opposed to actual contractor PR staff when seeking answers. They do tend to be helpful despite the fact that they side with industry on a lot of things.Just don't forget logging has its place in helping the forest with its cycle as long as the government continues to supress every fire in SW Alberta. The entire east slopes is old, sick, diseased, and due for a major burn.

There needs to be some common ground, integrated land use management is a big thing and is a growing concern in this province. This is another classic case of perhaps we should look to our neighbors to the south (Idaho, Montana, Washington). But also be careful what you wish for, first the greenies got the Castle watershed logging shut down, and now everything is/will be a wildland park, despite its proximity to Waterton National Park. Next will be no fishing, hunting, hiking or mountain biking - theres lots of people in some of those organizations who, if they had it their way there would be nobody in the backcountry.

• 2 weeks later...

Having been born in BC before becoming an Albertan, and seeing the carnage that logging brought to the streams and rivers of BC and Vancouver Island in the 60s and 70s, I am dead set against any logging within 1,000 metres of any creek or tributary. Period. Total ban. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Not a single tree touched within a 1 km line. There's plenty of forest elsewhere. Nobody should be permitted to cut timber near these fragile ecosystems. Any bridges spanning water for ingress/egress to cut timber must be monitored for conformity to standards of construction which with demonstrable zero impact. It's time to raise the bar instead of this deadly race to the bottom we're trapped in by self serving business interests.

It's utterly perplexing how, as I near my 6th decade, these issues are still not effectively dealt with. As a species we are not learning from our past mistakes. This is not a good portent.

An Alberta treasure, Andy Russell:

What good is easy living and wealth for this generation if it robs those we sire and profess to love? Where does the responsibility lie for the fostering of a deep appreciation for other kinds of life? These are questions people must answer promptly, honestly and intelligently, for time is rapidly running out...

... there's a great deal to be done. Let's get at it.

• Like 7

Having been born in BC before becoming an Albertan, and seeing the carnage that logging brought to the streams and rivers of BC and Vancouver Island in the 60s and 70s, I am dead set against any logging within 1,000 metres of any creek or tributary. Period. Total ban. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Not a single tree touched within a 1 km line. There's plenty of forest elsewhere. Nobody should be permitted to cut timber near these fragile ecosystems. Any bridges spanning water for ingress/egress to cut timber must be monitored for conformity to standards of construction which with demonstrable zero impact. It's time to raise the bar instead of this deadly race to the bottom we're trapped in by self serving business interests.

It's utterly perplexing how, as I near my 6th decade, these issues are still not effectively dealt with. As a species we are not learning from our past mistakes. This is not a good portent.

An Alberta treasure, Andy Russell:

What good is easy living and wealth for this generation if it robs those we sire and profess to love? Where does the responsibility lie for the fostering of a deep appreciation for other kinds of life? These are questions people must answer promptly, honestly and intelligently, for time is rapidly running out...

... there's a great deal to be done. Let's get at it.

GIven my feelings about riparian zones and what I have seen in my beloved home waters in the Hinton area, I absolutely cannot believe I'm about to play devil's advocate in my teeny tiny defense of forestry. Someone slap me out of my ignorance.

But 1000m sounds like a big buffer. Not within one single creek or tributary? I'm sure we've all looked at a waterbasin map. The entirety of the foothills from the Montana border to the Peace river region is just blanketed with flowing water. Every. single. tributary? Within 1000m?

Doesn't that pretty much effectively ban logging from 90% of the foothills? Isn't it easier to just prohibit logging altogether from most spaces? Isn't that what you're advocating?

Actually, never mind. I'll shut up now. That sounds about right to me. I'll just look the other way when I see the unemployment line double in size after we've gelded the forestry industry.

:)

Smitty

You are right Smitty, there needs to be some common sense involved. Kind of like when they log the crap out of a valley with an essential Bull trout spawning creek in the bottom of it. Some creeks are more valuable than others. They should get special treatment. Logs need to be cut, but I think we could do it in a better way.