Fly Fusion Forums

A Sign Of The Times

reevesr1

Sorry to hear of your early retirement Rickr, in the same boat myself. But hey! Congratulations!!!! Not sure if I will go back to work in the future, but right now, I am soooo looking forward to having so much time on my hands to do what I want! Looking forward to fishing the river upside down and sideways thus year! A few well planned trips down south are in the cards, as is a trip out to Whitetail and Parsons area for some early season action. Trouble for me is waiting to leave! I have to wait until May 31 to get let out and i am itching at the bit to get going!

For me, I am going to thank the oil and gas industry for many years of employment, and get on with my life as a retired old fart! Last year i ended up very sick and was in the hospital in critical condition for a couple weeks. I have since recovered fully, but now realize that life is short, and we need to be thankful for our blessings. Going , i am committed to living life to the fullest, Hopefully, the fishing will be good, but hey if not, its better than working right!

Cheers Rickr and congrats!

Ralph

• Like 3

Your blog was very interesting and enjoyable to read.

Take a year off and do something else that money can't buy. Move down to the Pass and mow lawns for 25.00 a crack and for every 50.00 you make spend 25.00 on gas or flies, shuttle or something else that is really important. That is living large. May not be for everyone but it could never be considered a mistake. Have a great summer...........!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be 48 next month, and I can empathize with all of what Rick has written, except he left 1 thing out, the 'eyes'.

After rounding 40, my eyesight quickly and very noticeably went downhill at an alarming rate. I find that in the 2'-3' range, I can't see. Either with my glasses or without. My optometrist has told me I should think about bi-focals. Perish the thought. Now I find myself taking my glasses off +20 times a day so I can read up close. When I'm fishing, I havta pull them off so I can tie a bloody fly on. I just have to be careful I don't drop them in the water when I'm out on my 'toon.