Fly Fusion Forums

Prescription Sunglasses

I have found a few pairs at Costco (Bolle) that fit great/ don't fall off easy. With prescription lenses worked out to $250-300/ pair. I have had 4 pairs made now (need them daily working/ recreating in the summer) and would recommend trying them. They hold up to my abuse pretty good. My favorite style was discontinued and that pair is sitting somewhere on a very remote ridge next to some sheep bones but the newer ones have been good too. I'm due for new ones this year but feeling cheap so have been putting it off. Best money I've ever spent in the past, that's for sure.

I have Oakley Flack Jackets with polarized amber lenses. They are absolutely awesome. What I like most about Oakley is the comfort and stability during activity. It drives me bonkers when I spin to look at something and my glasses move.

I used oakley prescription sunglasses for years.. Last year I switched to Maui Jims and I dont think I'll look back!

The Maui HT lens has amazing polarization at all conditions. I love the contrast and the low light performance of those lenses. Overall great lens for fishing and sighting fish.

I think Oakley's QC process is better than Maui Jim's though. I had to send the first two pairs of MJs back. On the first pair the top right corner didn't have any prescription, so if I were driving with them my vision would be blurry when I shoulder checked or checked the mirror. On the second pair the polarization formed a + sign on the lens which was really annoying. Both times MJ took the glasses back and by the 3rd pair everything was ok. I'm not sure if the high curvature of the lenses (based on the world cup frame) was my issue, but at least MJ was determined to fix it for me. I never had a problem with any of my 4 oakleys, the polarization and contrast just isn't as good as the Maui HT's.

I hear guys swear by the Smith Chromapop's too, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get them in prescription.

I've had prescription MJs and they were great. Have since had eye surgery, so lost the need. I still wear MJ non prescription. But have recently got a pair of Smith ChromaPop for xmas. I'll never knock the MJs, but I think the Smith might actually be a bit better in clarity. Either would be a great choice.

I've had prescription MJs and they were great. Have since had eye surgery, so lost the need. I still wear MJ non prescription. But have recently got a pair of Smith ChromaPop for xmas. I'll never knock the MJs, but I think the Smith might actually be a bit better in clarity. Either would be a great choice.

...a great choice for someone that doesn't need to put a prescription in them!

Sure can!

http://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/Men's/Prescription/c/1200

I don't know anything about their prescription offerings but I wear Smith Chromapops and they're pretty good. I can spot holding fish and see my dry flies way better than I could before.

No what I mean is, why spend money on glasses with expensive lenses when the optometrist is just going to take those lenses out?

Just find the frames you like, the criteria is that they can't "wrap around" too far as there will be to much curve in the lens to facilitate the Rx. That or you have a curved lens with a prescription insert or a "lens within a lens."

No what I mean is, why spend money on glasses with expensive lenses when the optometrist is just going to take those lenses out?

Just find the frames you like, the criteria is that they can't "wrap around" too far as there will be to much curve in the lens to facilitate the Rx. That or you have a curved lens with a prescription insert or a "lens within a lens."

I do not think you understand how this process works.

First of all, the optometrist has virtually no interaction with the people who make the glasses. They analyze your sight, and recommend a prescription.

The optician has sample glasses on the shelves---Lenscrafters or whatever. The customer finds the glasses they like. The optician then takes the measurements where the customer's eyes sits in the glasses both horizontally and vertically (some people like myself have eyes that are closer together than other people). The optician sends this information along with the optometrist's prescription and frame choice to the manufacturer, like Oakley, Smith, or Maui Jim. Oakley (for example) then custom manufactures the lenses that fit into the chosen frames and sends them back to the seller (like Lenscrafters).

The better sunglasses manufacturers build frames that are meant to be worn while being active and the manufacturer accounts for wrapping and curvature. There is a definite advantage to buying purpose-made prescription sunglasses.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...