Fly Fusion Forums

Tfo Stepping Up

I see TFO is stepping up their game into upper/mid-range market with new Impact series.

Happened to be at a local Flyshop yesterday when they received them and was told I'm one of the first to even see/handle one,as they aren't even officially on the rack yet?

Seems like a pretty damn nice rod,shoulda asked for a test cast I spose?

Coming in at $400+, I'm guessing it will be another typical "lotsa bang for yer buck" TFO that's comparable to other high end rods costing twice that??

$400 for overseas made.. No thanks. I've seen the quality control on TFOs, won't ever compare to the high end rods.

Correct me if I'm wrong,but isn't just about every "high end" blank mfrd overseas these days?

Fwiw,not a TFO fanboy by any means nor defending them....jest sayn'?

$400 for overseas made.. No thanks. I've seen the quality control on TFOs, won't ever compare to the high end rods.

If I can cast a $300 TFO rod as well as an $800+ Sage, Loomis or Winston rod who cares if the cork is not as pretty as Heidi Klum!

I fish Sage, Loomis, Scott, Orvis and yes, $300 TFO rods.

I agree the fit and finish may not equal high end (overpriced IMO) rods but I choose a rod that works for me and not something that belongs in a glass display case. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know 50%+ of a high end rods price is to pay for marketing.

As far as warranty, I don't think there is any better than TFO and I have only had to use it once while my Scott and Sage rods have been sent in a few times over the years.

I no longer buy into the "overseas" quality argument either. The Korean's do some pretty nice work and have a hell of a lot better quality control than China and even some US companies.

• Like 3

Eggzakly^^

Prime example...Korean made Hardy reels.While they may be snubbed by collectors looking for original UK made shelf queens,the QC is every bit as good(some say better?)as original UK mfrd reels....same for the rods.

Again,name your favorite high-end rod company,and chances are the blank was made in Korea with only the final assembly completed in USA,UK,Canada, or wherever,if not the entire rod made in Korea?

Who cares,they're ALL overpriced anyhow,esp. those assembled in USA with higher wages,lifetime warranties,and ENORMOUS marketing budgets.....and for that matter,the QC in Korea is likely as good or better than what you get from your typically disgruntled American manufacturing industry worker,not to mention Koreans are on the worlds leading edge with machining/CNC/manufacturing technology.

• Like 2

Eggzakly^^

Prime example...Korean made Hardy reels.While they may be snubbed by collectors looking for original UK made shelf queens,the QC is every bit as good(some say better?)as original UK mfrd reels....same for the rods.

Again,name your favorite high-end rod company,and chances are the blank was made in Korea with only the final assembly completed in USA,UK,Canada, or wherever,if not the entire rod made in Korea?

Who cares,they're ALL overpriced anyhow,esp. those assembled in USA with higher wages,lifetime warranties,and ENORMOUS marketing budgets.....and for that matter,the QC in Korea is likely as good or better than what you get from your typically disgruntled American manufacturing industry worker,not to mention Koreans are on the worlds leading edge with machining/CNC/manufacturing technology.

I have a complete set of Hardy angels original UK made.

The new Korean ones have a different finish, different handles, slightly narrower, a little tighter, but do the same job.

As far as shelf queens mine should have been but I fish every one .

Value wise the Koreans won't have any collectable value.

I'll go pick up a TFO Impact and give it a try. I'll post what I think. I Generally like TFO I don't spend the $$ on a TFO that I do on a Hardy Zenith so I don't have the same expectations. It is interesting to see where a guy is getting the most bang for his buck. I think TFO did a great job with the BVK and I didn't see the quality issues with the BVK that bcube is mentioning that you do see on their lower series rods. The fact is if you get a rod from them that is misaligned or has any other type of defect its really not a valid point for the fact that a quick trip to their shop and they will take care of it. They REALLY stand behind their product. Now in the end for me its all about how does it cast. I'll let you know.

I'll give it a cast when it comes in too.. If they can get something more comparable to the upper end rods I may be all in. My BVK is so clunky, heavy, and inaccurate compared to my high end baby.

Now you're just boasting about your sage one!! haha

Ok,I stand corrected.

I was told....just recently actually... that Sage has their blanks made in Korea. Perhaps I was misinformed...or perhaps they do in fact farm out some of their blank work and roll their own higher end/flagship model sticks in house?Who knows?

Dave,

What you may have heard is that Sage owns Redington and it's the Redington Blanks that are made off shore.

P

Quite possibly therein lies the confusion,although I'm certain he said Sage.

That said,if they have their Redington blanks made offshore,it wouldn't be much of a stretch to believe that they farm out their older technology/lower end Sage models as well would it?

I stopped by and casted one as well. The new handle is a great improvement. I cant believe how thin the but section is and it flexes down to the handle, very cool. The thing I like best about it is it loads proper to the amount of line I had and then with the proper load I could get the power to shoot a bunch more line. This stick is going to be an arm saver. I find a lot of rods have a hard time finding this balance. However the true test is going to be practical use. Once I've got one set up and had it out on the river ill update.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had the chance to fish for the day, with my buds, Impact today.I own, Loop, Sage, and Hardy rods, and let me say, for the money, I was very impressed. The new cork handle, looks, and feels great. A big improvement, to the cork, on my BVK rods. The rod I fished, is a 6wt. And it chucks line very well, in a straight line, exactly where you point it. It takes very little effort to cast, and also casts very smoothly.

It handles the fish, very well, has, nice balance, and most of all a reasonable price. I think TFO has come up with a tremendous rod, that most people can afford, and in my opinion, can compete, with some of the higher end rods, out there.

I will for sure be buying one, maybe even two, in the very near future.

If you have not tried one of these impact rods, do yourself a favour, and cast one. If you are in the market for a new rod, don't overlook the Impact.

I have read that the most North American truck manufactured is a Toyota Tundra.......... Just sayin!

San Antonio, Texas as a matter of fact!!

they are everywhere in Texas, was in Dallas for the Rolling Stones show, and had a great chuckle over the fact there where more Toyota Pick Up Trucks in the AT&T stadium parking lot, than Ford, Chevy or Dodge..