Fly Fusion Forums

Had To Scratch The Itch

troutlover

Day 1:

Drove ten hours it was dark no pictures today. Arrived at 2 am. Sleeping at a questionable Super 8. Today we hunt trouts, tonight I try to figure out how to post pictures (this might be a very short thread). The goal for the next six days. Catch enough fish to hold me over to spring time in Calgary, to avoid break down of my soul! ( dramatic I know, but true) stay tuned there might be pictures.

• Like 2

Day 2: Yikes! it was cold this morning. We knew we would have to get on the river early to be on the water we wanted. I laugh to myself when i her guys talk about how crowded the Bow river is> The Bow river is solitude compared to down here. In order to get good real estate we suffered through a couple hours of slush in the morning. Things were really slow.

P3060003_zpsul4aqgu2.jpg

Then as the slush stopped coming so did the fish goodflymclovin had 6 in a row and i knew it was game on!

P3070015_zps8bhm13o3.jpg

soon everyone was into some nice fish

P3070019_zpsqcfk371b.jpg

P3070012_zpsioeptv7v.jpg

Was a solid day and the therapy has begun i hope we continue to have such great success there was several dozen fish caught today. I was amazed at the fight these fish had for the temp of the water. I got schooled a couple times.

• Like 7

Day 4

Today we needed a change of scenery so we headed to the high alpine. We didn't know how the fishing would be or if there would be too much snow but we wanted to get into a section of the river that went through a box canyon and had a reputation of being beautiful. We got a later start today and the weather was perfect.

P3080082_zpsmcfy5481.jpg

We were into fish right away and i was thinking we are in for another special day. These fish have a harder winter than the fish on the lower section of the river they are noticeably skinnier but WOW are they ever beautiful!

P3090086_zpsppeobzoh.jpg

Lots of walking on this section, a steep gradient. Lots of pocket water and its amazing where these fish materialize out of. The tricky part is this river is full of huge boulders of lava rock and if you don't handle the fish they cant cut you off quickly.

P3090093_zpsn07ra5yl.jpg

Here is a picture of a nice fish i really like the band of red on this fish.

P3090098_zps4atp0sgg.jpg

And another pretty nice couple of fish

P3090093_zpsn07ra5yl.jpg

P3090090_zpsmjbclpbg.jpg

I have to mention that goodflymclovin caught an absolute slab there is a clip on instagram of it and a bunch of other clips from this trip at Mogum50 or search #slabracadabra.

This section of the river has given up some real monsters in years past, it was cool to listen to the stories of goodflymclovin who grew up in this area and has stories of rainbows over 25 inches and over 15 lbs. Day 4 is going to be great we are headed to no name creek our hope is for some BWOs to hatch and the fish to notice.

• Like 8

Wow that Rainbow is a beast, the first picture doesn't quiet do it justice but you really get a great appreciation for the size in the second picture. Looks like a pretty awesome trip, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...