Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Basic's

FishFury

Im new to the bow and was wondering what are some of the basic flys that produce good? If you don't mind me asking, what would you say your top 3 nymphs, 3 drys and 3 streamers are. Im just trying to produce a bit of a starter box for tackling the bow.

Thanks

Wecome to the board , first what part of the mighty Bow are you fishing ?Banff upper ,NW , or Calgary south, or down down south

No minnows. Hahaa i'v seen a lot on FFC and even a better sport fly guy!

My fans say Flyfishy...say, sharing is your best part! So I say bring it all.

A Dear friend of mine showed me the Tom thumb (dry/wet) , a deer head wooly bugger ( leech style)and a caddis/egg bead head.

So do what I did! Baby steps .

You tying your bugs?

If not start, sayin GO/ :)

Thanks so far guys. Ive lived in Cochrane my whole life but have only recently decided to start fly fishing the bow. I may be new to this forum, but im defiantly not new to fly fishing. Been at it for almost 5 years now and am having a blast. But i have been mostly fishing small stream sch as the dog pound, so when i got to the bow i was a little intimidated. But once i got going that all went away.

With the water being so cold, and being attacked by chunks of ice every few seconds has made it hard to fish. But that has not stopped me. Last weekend and then again two days ago were actually the first time's ive fished the lower bow at policeman's flats. Not really knowing what to tye on i just rigged up simple; a san juan worm, phesant tail nymph, some lead and an indicator. I had one nice sized fish on the pheasant tail but it hugged the bottom in the fast current and eventually spit the fly out. It was still a blast!

Flyfishy- i will be fishing a bit of upper bow, just south of Canmore. But mostly just south of the city. Ya i tye my own flys and am on my way to some bow river boxes. Already got some size 6 bow river buggers in olive and white tyed up.

• Like 1

Welcome to the board Fishfury! Hope you find this site informative and friendly! Just a word of caution, please be careful on the river at this time! Many of us have taken a bath of two while fishing, but at this time of year, it could be very dangerous. Make sure you have good footing and an extra pair of the woolies just in case! Jeesh I sound like a father! Anyhoo, nice to have you on board, there are some great archived articles to read here. You wont be disappointed! Stay warm and safe!

All the best!

Cgyguy

It may sound silly but one of my most important tools isn't my fly rod, is a pair of folding scissors that I use to clip my existing flies stream side to have a closer profile to the naturals.

That is brilliant feedback Silver. Such a simple concept, but likely something 90% of us neglect to do.

If I really had to boil it down to just three of each, I'd say top three nymphs for me are a pheasant tail, a dark stonefly (I typically just tie the jimmy legs), and a wire worm. For dries, a parachute Adams, an elk hair caddis, and a stoneflopper (or something else to double for adult golden stones and hoppers). Unless you're having multiple sizes of each, you're asking each one to cover quite a range of hatches (for example, the Adams would need to cover both BWOs and PMDs as well as other mayfly hatches. If I were only tying 9 flies I'd probably give up two of the streamers and stick with a heavily weighted bugger or slumpbuster and add two emerger patterns, a midge, or a trico pattern.

• Like 1

What flys ,gear and food bring it all ! Here's a funny last year went for a jet boat float

brought a fly tying kit good idea and all the wind... O my over the top. Had marabou flying everywhere tons of laughts , tying in his boat, Nailed the biggest of the day with that fluffy unit . Still Hahaaa On that day.

Just have fun , and be safe with this sport, and don't forget long walk back to the truck.

Full Edit. Sorry it was funnier before .