Fly Fusion Forums

Wet Wading Boots

I'd suggest finding a pair of Simms riversheds, and size them down to fit right without a wafer. Bring what you'd normally wear to a fly shop and figure it out. Could be a bit tough to go no neoprene just due to the width of wading boots

Have you tried adding an insole to your current boots? This would fill the gap that was taken up by the neoprene from your waders. I wear Cloudveil wading boots (since discontinued) and they came with an insole for wet wading. Might be worth a try.

need a new pair of wet wading boots. Do not like to use my wader boots, just to sloppy of a fit. Need something with a fairly tight fit without neo socks, lots of ankle support and lite as possible,

thanks in advance ray

I'm in the same boat,

I have used the old orvis mid ankle, felt bottom with a short neo sock.they were ok.

Looked at some different sandles but don't want mud etc coming in through the sides.

Typically go with the simms neo socks and wading boots. These are good but heavy , hot and must wash after use or they get smelly.

Have heard river sheds were ok,.

Light, durable easy on & off would be great.

last summer I picked up a pair of Simms riprap wading shoes. Wore them with neoprene socks. They were great. Only drawback is that they wont accept studs (despite what the salesman at the store said)

However, the rubber is indeed grippy on the oldman slime, and they are good to walk the rocks and hillsides with.

I bought my first pair of wading boots at Canadian Tire, on sale for under $50. They were actually a nice lightweight boot, with decent ankle support and fairly good upper construction. They offered pretty good traction with a soft rubber sole, but that same soft sole unfortunately didn't stand up all that well. I gave them away to a buddy when I bought my first "real" pair of boots in October after deciding I'm in this thing for the long haul. In hindsight, I maybe should have kept them to wear as an occasional wet-wader. Combined with the MEC neoprene sock that Pete (Überfly) put me on to, I think they would have worked well that way.