Fly Fusion Forums

Snow Blower/thrower Suggestions

Al, I went through this last year. After asking around and checking out KIJIJI, I finally settled on a single stage Honda. My considerations were as follows.

Single stage unit is smaller in size and easier to store away when not in use.

Single stage will clean down to the concrete where a dual stage leaves a thin (1/2") layer of snow over.

Honda reliability.

Ease of starting.

I settled on a 7 HP unit and in retrospect, I think a 5 HP unit would be adequate. I would have been happy to buy used but could not find one.

Murray

:Birddog;I hav had a Honda 621 snowthrower.I don't no what a 1 stage is .It doesn't have the traditional auger.It has kinda paddles that have a rubber strip attached.It cleans right down to the concrete.I have owned it for 9 yrs,starts 1st pull after stored in a unheated shed.It has done 3 neighbors & my frt.drive/walk for all those yrs.Replaced the rubber on the paddles,last yr $69.00...Best investment I have ever made,for the winter..

• Like 1

My scenario is similar to yours, in terms of my property. I have a 24" Ariens, which is great. Also had a Poulan in the past that was rock-solid as well. I find that most light snowfalls, I still tend to shovel... it's only the big dumps that I use the snowblower for, and am glad on said occassions that I have a 2-stage unit. It takes my neighbor 2-3x as long to do his driveway with their single stage Honda when we have big snowfall.

I agree about the MORE POWER statement but two big factors made the decision for me. The single stage units, no matter what brand, clean right down to the pavement. That and the smaller units, ie: single stage take up significantly less room in the garage when put away. That was a big factor for me.

I've a Honda 520 single stage and it handles the combined sidewalk and front double driveway with ease. Murray's points are bang on plus it is way more maneuverable than the bigger units.. Plus it starts like every Honda product..

Mike

• Like 1