Fly Fusion Forums

In Search Of Gear, A Newbie's Query

Asgeir

Hello,

As you've made out from the title, I'm looking take a start with fly fishing. Like any one in this age, I've read the forums, visited the local shops, and (unfortunately) don't have any friends in the fishing game to bug for info. ;)

So here raises my question.

I plan on mainly fishing the bow, near Calgary area, I will also be heading up to northern Sask for river and some still water up there.

From what I've gathered, my best bet is to go with a 6 or 7th, though I haven't heard any references to a preferable length.

Does anyone have some nice recommendations for the $200-$250 range?

I've also been looking at this reel, the Greys gx500 (see link if you're unfamiliar http://fly.greysfishing.com/en-us/products/reels/greys-reels/gx500-reel/ ) Any opinions and experience with this product?

Thank you very much for any help and direction.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly we sold quite a few of these with no returns. All plastic, drag knob was quite large which may be a line catcher, simple one way bearing for left to right conversion , plenty of spools and a case.

A decent starter reel in the low 100 range. I don't think you would get much more for a cartridge system for that price.

Rods I would not go over a 6 wt 9 ft for a do it all rod , your not going to pike fish with this but able to easily streamer, nymph & cast some dries. You probably won't have the finesse of a 4 wt for laying down delicate dries on 5 x but will get the job done.

I also really liked the feel og the greys grxi rods, excellent action faster action rod and great value for what you got. Right in that range you were looking for.

Some would argue that a slower mid flex would be better suited for the beginner & that may be true but learn to cast well and this will work great.

Take a casting lesson from one of the shops for an hour & they can start you in the right direction.

If that's not in the budget pm me & I will help out.

Thank you very much everyone for the input.

I think I've decided against the Greys reel, as it's quite a large unit. I'm looking for something a little smaller now, maybe about the size of the gx300 mentioned by Rickr, this also gives me the opportunity to learn how I wish the manipulate the line, be it by hand or reel.

As for rods, I went by cross iron the other day and the gentlemen in the bass pro fly shop told me to have a look at the TFO specialized 2 (6 wt 9') can anyone vouch personal experiences with this rod?

Big mac- I went by a fly shop in Dalhousie yesterday and found the Reddington rods for ~$100-$170. Was there anything in particular you'd recommend?

Line isn't included in this price. Nor is a case (the 250 is reel and rod).

I guess some back story is required, this will be my gift for 21 from my parents, I'll be making my own case from pvc, and buying the line I wish (most likely).

@eagleflyfisher I'll likely be taking you up on the casting lessons, thank you for the offer!

Pokerfish, I'll check them out too, thank you very much.

Thanks for the input everyone. :)

FYI - 2-piece may be cheaper; 4-piece is more packable. Shouldn't be any loss of performance with a 4-piece.

The reason I ask is that someone might have a case kicking around to sell or give away.

Good luck with your purchase!

Personally I would highly recommend going for a 4 piece. My 5 weight 9' rod was given to me, it's old enough that there weren't too many 4 piece rods at the time. It just barely didn't fit in the trunk of my previous car and was kind of a hassle. Seemed like it made going anywhere a pain. It ends up taking up more room then it should because you have to put in the back seat on an angle and when you open the door it falls down and you have to move it before you can close the door. It's to the point now that I don't even bring it unless I'm by myself. Other wise I bring my newer 4 piece rod which is an 8 weight, which is not ideal. It's way bigger then I need most of the time. I'm some times tempted to buy a another 5 weight rod in a 4 piece just so I can pack it easier

• 2 weeks later...

Redington CT 9054 would be a nice 4 piece 5 wt. The 6wt is the 9064 ... Cabelas has these on sale for $85 right now. Not certain if there is a Canadian counterpart to Cabelas.com .. but worth checking out.

Stew

The only way to decide on what Rod is best for you is to go to a shop, pick out 2-3 rods in your price range and try casting with each. Ask the fly shop if they have a spare line/reel to try casting with. Whichever reel feels the most comfy to cast, go with that.

As for picking out a reel, pick out 2-3 reels in your price range, attach it to the rod of your choice and try out the feel of it. Take into consideration:

1. Weight

2. How it feels to reel in

3. How it feels to strip line off the reel

4. How the drag feels/performs

5. Reel Warranty

9ft is a pretty standard length of rod. You'll have a good time with the 6weight too, enough backbone to cut through the elements on windy days.

Oh and without a doubt get a four piece rod, do not even look at 2 pieces. Having that portability is priceless, plus you'll spend less on materials making that case you're talking about.

All dedicated fly shops will put a package together for you and usually give you a bit of a discount... This way you get great service and be able to try before you buy. Also, you get to develop a relationship with the staff and they will give you great information and pass along their wisdom (worth it's weight in gold for a newby)!!

P

• Like 2