Fly Fusion Forums

Drift Boat Etiquette

It was interesting to read about how "waders always have the right of way"

This must be an unknown rule if I go by the numerous amount of times I have had drift boats float right on by, fishing the same water I am, and not only that, but close enough to the point that I could actually hit the rower in the side of the head with a simple cast.

Some drifters make a wide bearth, and even have their "clients" pull out their lines, or at least have them cast out the opposite end to get their lines out of my water. Sadly, most don't give a *hit and just feel they can fish wherever they want cause they're in a boat.

• Like 2

It was interesting to read about how "waders always have the right of way"

This must be an unknown rule if I go by the numerous amount of times I have had drift boats float right on by, fishing the same water I am, and not only that, but close enough to the point that I could actually hit the rower in the side of the head with a simple cast.

Some drifters make a wide bearth, and even have their "clients" pull out their lines, or at least have them cast out the opposite end to get their lines out of my water. Sadly, most don't give a *hit and just feel they can fish wherever they want cause they're in a boat.

bean em... or at least say something.. Was a pretty eye opening experience on the Missouri last year, where there are a hell of a lot more boats, and a HELL of a lot more respect. Must be the handguns in the glovebox.

Ha! I recall last summer or the previous one, drifting to close to a buddy of Troutlover's... The guy was in a really awkward position way out in the middle of the river above Mac and I didn' have too much choice... He had a few descriptive words for me... Anyway, as I was aboput 10 meters or so past him, I looked back and he was into a fish!! I thought to myself "ass*ole!" LoL

And there are plenty of waders who think that, because they're on foot, they've personally reserved half a mile of riverbank. Yet on busy evenings at Fish Creek Park they're happily lined up 10 metres apart...but the apocalypse befalls them if a boat approaches.

When both banks are lined with anglers, the implication would seem to be that boats are required to float down the precise middle of the river, not fishing.

I wade fish far more than I float, but sorry, the expectations of some wade fishermen are simply excessive.

• Like 3

welllllll if you had seen the effort he put into getting out into the middle of the river to hit a run of about 15 rising fish (which you passed directly over) you would have given his fishing more room. Also according to the article you were the ass*ole.......according to the article. :)

Yet he still manage to hook the fish!! And a biggun from what it looked like to me !! Pretty hard to navigate coming around a corner and having a guy standing in the middle of the river!

All was good! Well except for the few seconds that we shared together! :)

welllllll if you had seen the effort he put into getting out into the middle of the river to hit a run of about 15 rising fish (which you passed directly over) you would have given his fishing more room. Also according to the article you were the ass*ole.......according to the article. :)

I didn't say I was annoyed by it. As I said, I wade more than I float.

My point was, some wade fishermen's expectations seem to ebb and flow: if they're the only wade fisherman they expect half a mile of bank to themselves...if it's busy they're OK with 10 metres to the next wade angler...but either way, the boats had better steer clear.

One of the reasons it works so well on the Missouri is that the wade fishermen don't expect more from the boats than from other waders, they expect the same thing: one casting radius. If there's a large feature with room for 8 occupied by 2, then it makes no difference whether two more wade fishermen wander in, or three driftboats pull in and each takes a piece. You see this daily on the Missouri. And in some areas where the boats tend to recirculate on the eddy and do repeated laps, the wade fishermen don't even go.

• 3 weeks later...

My biggest things is a general respect rule, I I'm on the Oars I try to scoot to the other side as quietly as I can, sometimes it's impossible to avoid drifting through the waders run, usually I just apologize, pull the lines in and pass and quick and least disruptive as possible, My favourite experience was a guy on a pontoon who would float through my run then drag his boat back to the top and go through again. On the third run through I think he got the message when I hooked his jacket with an articulated number 2 sex dungeon. Amazes me some guys train of thought!

You do have to remember if you are a wade fisherman that you share the river. I often stop casting when a Drift Boat comes close. They are just that Drift Boats, and cant always change direction quickly, courtesy on both parts is key. Having been on the other side and guiding and rowed for years I understand the business, I've been on the other side where I've come around a corner and been in the drift lane of a Wader way out in the river. I'd always give em a heads up if they don't see me and have my clients rein in.

I've had boats come within a rod length of me, no big deal, big river for everyone. 99.9% of drifters are great.

• Like 1