Fly Fusion Forums

Fly-Craft... Any Thoughts?

I don't know about Chinese PVC apposed to others but I have heard not all are created equal and that they tear different. For example some once a tear starts will just keep going like when you tear the side of a chip bag but others if you tear them will remain the size of the original tear for a while allowing you some time to get it repaired. This PVC looks fabric reinforced I think it would be the kind that stands up to a tear? I don't know. I think 3500 is a good price compared to some of the one man open floor smaller boats out there that run around $2000 (fully tricked out). As long as the materials and construction is quality I think 3500 is good. IMO it would be a great boat for several Alberta streams soon we might see a boat or two drifting down the crow wouldn't that be nice :$*%&:

Thoughts??

Hmmmm....well I'm hardly any qualified expert,but I have done a ton of reading and research into inflatables this winter,both before and after buying a WaterMaster.

I would say first of all the price seems reasonable,or at least competetive/comparable to other similair boats in this niche,ie;2man framed inflatables,and the frame itself looks to come standard with more user friendly features that cost extra with other mfrs.

-just looking at the photos,you can see the lap weld construction,which is imho superior to the butt weld construction of a similarily priced Scadden.That said,in the specs,it states "chemically bonded" which I'm guessing is a fancy way to say "glued",so it makes me wonder if it is in fact thermal welded at all??

-.9mm nylon PVC??WTF is that?The standard for nylon backed PVC/PUC is generally stated in Denier(thread count per/inch,or;400,800,1200,1600 Denier etc.)

400D is your basic low end,inexpensive inflatables,something you might buy at Can Tire or Walmart to help drown the kids.

800D or thereabouts(?) is what most "decent" recreational inflatables use,Scadden for one,can't comment on others?Watermaster uses 1100D PUC,and the seams are double reinforced thermal lap welds,meaning the material is lap welded,plus reinforced ("taped")with another interior strip,as opposed to Scaddens which are butt welded and taped seams.

Professional/commercial grade inflatables,whitewater rafts,expedition class rafts etc.,are generally 1600D or better......so again,WTF is .9mm nylon PVC,I have no idea?Actually,0.9mm thickness is not a mystery,but more importantly,what is the Denier?At this price point,I would expect 1000D+ material??

I think this Flycraft looks "OK"? If it were me,I'd want a few construction/material questions answered before I pulled the trigger.First impression though,is it looks a wee bit cramped with two people,or maybe the narrow beam makes it seem a bit "canoe-like"?

Personally,at that price point,for a 2man inflatable,I'd be looking at a framed Aire Cataraft or similar for stability,quality construction and materials,and true whitewater capability,or for the same price,the WaterMaster Rock Creek 2man raft,which is floorless,allowing you to control your drift with fins and fish at the same time.

• Like 1

Vaga Im glad to hear you went with a water master. I did some research this winter also and found the water master to be the best craft in that class. When it comes to inflatables there really is a HUGE difference in how they are constructed and the materials used and that makes an incredible difference in life span and durability. I also decided on a water master however in the end I decided to purchase a larger boat so the family can come along on the bow river. You made a great choice. I like the design of the flycraft but I also have questions about the construction and materials. At the Fly fishing show this winter there was two dealers selling the same design of inflatables one was Water Master the other I wont use their name but Water Master was $1000.00 more for a similar design however it was easy to see why. The difference in construction and materials was obvious.

Watermasters are pigs compared to the scaddens. Sit so low, and no rocker (and yes, this does add up)..hit a bit of whitewater and you're eating water to no end.

If WM had the same boat design, i'd be inclined to go that way, but the scaddens are superior in handling and tracking. Other then the used-car salesman attitude that Scadden has (and the crappy accessories), I'd disagree that the WMs are the superior boat. Then again, if i was going to do it again, i'd buy the scadden boat, and then do everything else (oars/sidebags/seat) by myself.

There is no way you're controlling a boat with 2 people in it with fins effectively enough to have both fishing decently.

Nice hull design on Scaddens,that's where it ends.Inferior material,seam welds,valves,puncture resistance,UV resistance,seat design,oars,accessories,customer service,and built offshore,as opposed to the duty free,Made in the USA Watermater,which trumps Scadden in every single one of these considerations.

The internet is full of horror story reviews on Scadden faults and failures,and the terrible customer service(ie;total lack of correspondence/weeks just to make contact etc.)

I've yet to find a single bad word written about WM,and 2 weeks ago when I called WM to make arrangements for delivery,Rich himself answered the phone,and we shot the shite for a good 10-15 min about the spring fishing,river conditions,the FF Expo,steelhead,fly rods,and other equally important stuff,....oh yea,and almost forgot why I called,delivery and a couple add-on accessories.

No,neither one yet,have you?

I "had planned" to have my WM by now.....I put a deposit on it at expo,planning to pay balance and take delivery around first of April.When I called Rich 2weeks ago to do just that,he had just shipped the last Kodiak in stock,and is currently awaiting a shipment of materials,so now I'm looking at mid-May delivery?Kinda disappointing,as I had planned to float/scout the new post-flood Bow in April-May while it's still low and clear,but at the same time,my fault/snooze ya lose.

Oh well,I'll likely get many years of trouble-free service out of it,lotsa time to float the Bow and other rivers.Better than being beached in a leaky Scadden that takes months to rectify.

Performance?Really??Is floating downstream like a duck now some kind of a race or competition that I'm unaware of?It is what it is,they are just basic,budget,blow-up boats after all,but if you want to turn it into a Hyde rocker vs. ClackaCraft yada yada yada....??

Performance over parts?Do you buy waders that only last 1/2 the season,or buy quality that lasts several seasons?Daily commute in a high maintenance Ferrari or a Honda Accord?

yes, i've rowed both. I have put ~30 days on my scadden on the Copper and Bulkley in the last 2 years, and well over 50 if you add in pike fishing and the Bow here. The fact of the matter is, on those rivers, you're not just a duck floating down river. Watched LOTS of guys in their watermasters paddle damn hard to get across the bulkley (which is not a challenging river above the canyon) to a run on the other bank and completely miss it due to the lack of rocker.

Had it for 3 years without a single issue. Also know that everyone i know with either boat is happy with it, and don't know a person who has actually had a problem with their scadden yet...As they say, you'll hear all the bad stories, but never the positive ones. Likely going to hear more about Scadden, as its my impression with the number of rafts that I've seen (and gents ive talked to in the states), that they're probably selling 10 or more to each 1 WM. WM is pretty well unknown outside of the steelhead (and now slowly into the trout) circle.

Enjoy your boat. I understand wanting to defend your purchase. I would have been much more inclined to think WM if they had felt like taking the time to give me a call or email. There rep also did not respond to numerous contact attempts.

Well fair enough then.

FWIW,I've been on both Bulkley and Copper as well,albeit only wading,not rowing,but I can't imagine the Bulkley being all that challenging for a strong rower,ie;me,being as many times I have rowed a soggy old 18' flat bottom planked skiff that must weigh near a ton(?) against 7-8kts of Fundy tide,pretty sure I can row a 40lb boat upstream on Bulkley.Maybe those that you seen struggle simply just can't row for ****??

Well fair enough then.

FWIW,I've been on both Bulkley and Copper as well,albeit only wading,not rowing,but I can't imagine the Bulkley being all that challenging for a strong rower,ie;me,being as many times I have rowed a soggy old 18' flat bottom planked skiff that must weigh near a ton(?) against 7-8kts of Fundy tide,pretty sure I can row a 40lb boat upstream on Bulkley.Maybe those that you seen struggle simply just can't row for ****??

Well, the lack of rocker sucks. It really does. makes you plow water like mad. Also, if you've never rowed with the attached rack and pin, expect to be disapointed. That's the biggest flaw with all these boats, but also what keeps them light. You can't dig in, you can't twist your wrists or anything. Also, by drilling a hole in the oar shaft to fit on the pin, you've automatically made it much weaker.

Guest bigdirty

Im looking into 1 man inflatables at the moment. I have been leaning towards outcast. probably a 9-IR. thoughts on build quality, pros-cons, etc.

more on topic, 2 year warranty on the flycraft?

I have rowed a few boats with the oars pinned in some fashion or another,gotta agree,can't say I like it at all.Weak oars seems to be the common complaint with both boats?I "thought about" ordering the Expedition pkg with oar upgrade,but I already have fins from my old tubing days,I have miles of bungee and cargo netting,and figger I can build a better,stronger oar myself for less $$.

You can also pay and extra $300 and get an extention to 5 years!

Im looking into 1 man inflatables at the moment. I have been leaning towards outcast. probably a 9-IR. thoughts on build quality, pros-cons, etc.

depends what you want. pontoons are nice, but heavy.. the one man rafts are pretty sweet. Fold up and put in the back of a civic if needed

Guest bigdirty

I guess im looking for a river vehicle. something to hole hop with. Fishing while drifting is not a priority. I drive a small pick up so size is not too much an issue.