Fly Fusion Forums

A Valley Full Of Cutts ... Will It Recover From The Flood?

Check out this short film from back in 2012 when Deano and I spent a few days on this beautiful cutt stream catching hundreds of beautiful slashers in some amazing little holes and runs and riffles and when we returned last summer after the floods it really was unrecognizable car sized boulders completely gone buried beneath feet of gravel I presume ... we caught a few fish but nowhere near the numbers or sizes we caught the previous summer ... I hope it recovers sooner rather than later ... what do you think?? anyway have a watch and enjoy the pre flood cutty extravaganza!!

• Like 5

I fished that stream many times. I agree it was a bit of a bust last summer however I think they were mostly pushed lower into bigger water which did fish well last summer. By the end of the season things had improved up stream.

• Like 1

Check out this short film from back in 2012 when Deano and I spent a few days on this beautiful cutt stream catching hundreds of beautiful slashers in some amazing little holes and runs and riffles and when we returned last summer after the floods it really was unrecognizable car sized boulders completely gone buried beneath feet of gravel I presume ... we caught a few fish but nowhere near the numbers or sizes we caught the previous summer ... I hope it recovers sooner rather than later ... what do you think?? anyway have a watch and enjoy the pre flood cutty extravaganza!!

-------

The only way to properly evaluate whether this charming stream will recover is to take me there so I can properly :D evaluate it...

• Like 2

Yeah my east Indian friend Bhinder Dondaht and I have fished it many times and last summer it was a bust. Too terrible to even post a report and I couldn't bring myself to take any pictures because it was a desolate waste. Not going for 20 years at least. So sad.

The flood nuked it, it's done as a decent fishin' stream for at least 25-30 yrs, not worth the longassed drive from Kalgree anymore.

tic

I would agree taco ..... place seemed nuked when I was there in august but Gil said it seemed alot better by the end of the season when did you last go? .... if it takes 20 years to recover that would really suck ... I had finally just figured how..where and when to get some water to my self on this awesome stream.

Sorry diddy, I was bein' a smartass as in " Stay away so I can fish in peace" Although permanently changed by old Mom Nature about the only thing that can "destroy" a stream is mankind himself. It'll take a few yrs to recover not decades.

Guess I coulda used j/k insteada tic "tongue in cheek"

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Not even man can destroy a stream. The classic example is the Bow. The native Cutthroat and Bull Trout were extirpated over 100 years ago and now us humans call it a Blue Ribbon Trout stream, me I call it the "soapy bow". I have noticed that mankind has historically given itself way too much credit and nowadays the focus might have changed but the attitude remains the same.

• Like 1