Fly Fusion Forums

I Now Know What A Fish Feels...

We were out last night and I decided to toss a streamer as nymphing wasn't working for any of us and I only saw one rise the entire 4 hours... Anyway, I must have dropped my shoulder as I buried my streamer right into the back of my casting hand (middle knuckle)!! Funny thing was, I didn't feel a thing (going in or out)!! Hurts a little this morning however!! LoL

P

I was getting the hook out of a fish and I lost control of it as it took off the trailing hook I had tied on caught me in the finger and the fish was yanking it to get away I was screaming "ow stop ow stop ow stop " got the fish back released it. got the forceps and pulled the hook out then I sat on the bank and sucked my thumb

Took my son and his friend down to the river. Before I could get them both set up the young fellow took a cast and buried a 4 inch long 5 of diamonds into my forearm. Of course back than fully barbed, never had any pliers so I just pulled it out.

Well you can imagine the antics of two young kids watching me pull that out of my arm, had to stretch the skin a good 8 inches before it would even start ripping through. Good times lol

Pushing a hook through the rest of the way doesn't hurt any more than pulling out a barbless? Man, you're a lot tougher than me! Back in the barbed days a fish spit the hook a foot from the net, went into my shoulder, and hurt like the dickens pushing it through. Guiding a guy a few years ago I was standing right next to him, trying to get him into a good fish, guy hooked me three times, once in the neck. Pulling out barbless was nothing by comparison.

I got my first hook last weekend. Was making sure the knot was good and tight, slip and there I was with a hook in the thumb. I thought that there was a bard still on it cause I did have a chance to pinch it. To my relief it was a fly I already used and it pulled out easy. I was sweating though thinking about the bard.

I switched to barbless after pinning my net, vest, and shirt to my back one windy day with a pair of nymphs. Fortunately, they popped out pretty easily but I knew it could've been much worse. It's when my sign-on name was created and I really started working on casting.

• 2 weeks later...

I remeber when I first waas learning to cast streamers it just happened to be in the pitch dark. Anyways away casting I was doing then wack felt something hit me in the back of the head and next thing I knew my hat was floting in the river, I stripped in my line to realize that my hat was coming in too, wow, I hooked my hat and had so much energy traveling through the line it never stop the cast.

Funny. I was poking around Policeman Flats on Monday night. Hopper dropper type of thing. Decided to check to make sure I had barbs squished down - adjusted things accordingly (large fly was not debarbed).

Not 5 minutes later I was trying to remove the fly from a snag below the bank when things snapped back and imbeded into my fore-finger. Removing was easy due to my check earlier :-) ... mental note to self .. check while rigging up.

Stew