Fly Fusion Forums

What Would You Buy?

Each year I go with a bunch a friends to a BC lake to do some fishin,We have a little derby with some prizes.I've been asked to purchase a rod, reel, line, flies.... for a prize. Keeping it around $1200.

.Most of the fellas are not full time fisherman and mostly troll around the lake.So I plan on putting a type 6 sink line on the reel.Some deep sea chrionomid fishin can also work.

Islander LX 3.2 or 3.4 comes to mind for a reel.For a rod something a little softer then a Sage Z. There just a little stiff for what we do .I plan on a 9' 5wt.

What would you buy?

Thanks,

Whats a full time fisherman Tungsten? Sounds like you got the reel figured out pretty well. If you are buying it for a prize why is it important for the rod to be a bit softer than a Z? I would just buy the Sage "one" and the winner should be very happy!. For line for your derby you already have decided on the type so I would just grab a Rio and a SA line and flip a quarter. Sounds like a great derby for you and your pals, have fun.

Thanks guys,i'll be shopping soon.Most of the fellas couldn't be bothered with casting 30' leaders and watching bobbers.So a 9' fits best.Drinking and trolling is what there good at.

Does sound like fun- Post a picture of the winner, his fish and prize!

How about a nice 5wt just in case the winner wants to go steelheading? :spam:

just way to funny shredneck , such a nice post for a friday afternoon , LMAO

he can take his high & mighty opinions and post them on speypages , see how long he lasts before being banned on that site , ha ha

• Like 1

Guest Grinr

Been on SP 3 yrs now.....no problems.

But then again,most SP members actually know wtf they are talking about,so it's easy for me to get along there.

• Like 1

Been on SP 3 yrs now.....no problems.

But then again,most SP members actually know wtf they are talking about,so it's easy for me to get along there.

thats just to funny , why don't you ask them spey pages guys if they would use a 5 wt or even a 6 wt single hand rod for true steelhead , BC steelhead

oh hell with it , even better just tell em how good you are that you could get away with it like your posts here stated ,

Guest Grinr

What are you clowns looking to get another thread locked down?

I already explained in the last soap opera that I have no intention of using a 5wt for BC steel,but I have landed several 5,6,7 lb grilse and a few 10-12 lb salmon on same.

And that entire topic was about a SIX WT.

Spend a bit of time on SpeyPages and I think you'll find there's quite a few fellas fishing PNW steel with 6wts.....or better yet,STFU until you've caught a few hundred and your opinion matters to me.