Fly Fusion Forums

Kold Kutter Ice Studs In My Wading Boots

Hey Guys,

Was looking for some opinions on after market studs for wading boots. I've fallen on my ass for the last time going down grassy hills. It's like you wear felts to wade confidently in the water but lose all traction walking down grass hills. Put on the rubbers for the walks but then you stumble over the rocks.

Been reading about it all day and not sure if carbide is really all the worth the cost when I can buy 1000 of Kold Kutters for $100 vs 100 Carbide Studs for $100 + 10 for special tool to install them. I imagine they will need to be replaced once in awhile making the carbide even less appealing

I found this article quite convincing since i was considering just using screws around the IT lab to provide a little extra bite in the soft ground with the felts. So what do you guys think? Anyone around tried anything similar before?

https://koldkutter.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=778c2cfc560c1c71a64f0b9789289051

or

http://www.gripstuds.com/Waderboots.php

Studs work great if you are still inclined to wear felts which are still the best when they are new. Just remember not to step on your line and bring a peice of carpet if someone invites you for a drift in their boat as studs rip up boat floors quickly or better yet invest in a set of those fancy pataguici crampons which are easy to remove when needed

I have simms studs in my felts - work fine - can't remember the cost (about 20-25 bucks???) but the kit only comes with enough for one pair - had em in for 3 years now (maybe 4) and still working great

That's reassuring atleast if they are able to last. Also considering just getting the Simm Vibram soles and adding in there star studs if they can last long enough to justify the cost. Kinda where the Kold Kutters come in. 0.10 to replace them but they have a huge profile!

Studs work great if you are still inclined to wear felts which are still the best when they are new. Just remember not to step on your line and bring a peice of carpet if someone invites you for a drift in their boat as studs rip up boat floors quickly or better yet invest in a set of those fancy pataguici crampons which are easy to remove when needed

That's the beauty of the Korkers is can pop up the soles. But I'm also worried they're too thin to fit the studs into. Might be time for some new boots in the end.

These look like something forest gump would wear! But again if they last and do a good job, I'd get em

Used 1/2" sheetmetal screws from Home Hardware in felt boots for yrs, changed them 2-3 times a season. Worked well. Just get a correct size magnetic socket that fits in a reversible electric drill, take all of 5 minutes to change corks.

Guest Grinr

As an alternative to these ^^ $150 "Forrest Gumps" strap-ons from Patagonia,why not just buy pretty much the same damn thing for 20 bucks at Shoppers Drug Mart,CDN tire etc.??I've used them for ice fishing,winter hunting,hiking on icy trails etc.....they work just fine and as intended on ice at least.Grassy banks....sure why not?Slippery rocks??Might wear out on rocks sooner than Simms stars but so what....replaceable with short,5/16 metal screws.....or buy 7 pairs vs. 1 pair of Gumps?

Edit:sorry,make that 15-20 pairs of ice cleats vs. 1 overpriced pair of Patagonias.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw=Ice+Snow+Walking+Shoes+Spike+Grip+Boots+Chain+Crampons+Grippers+Anti+Non-slipNEW

For what it's worth I've used machine screws for years, yes they do wear off after a while but it is really easy to unscrew and put in a new set. Only takes a few minutes. I put Hardbite Stat Cleats on one set of Korkers in 2011 and they’re still going strong, the grip has been great. Have a few words about them on my blog.

IMGP0685.jpg

That's reassuring atleast if they are able to last. Also considering just getting the Simm Vibram soles and adding in there star studs if they can last long enough to justify the cost. Kinda where the Kold Kutters come in. 0.10 to replace them but they have a huge profile!

That's the beauty of the Korkers is can pop up the soles. But I'm also worried they're too thin to fit the studs into. Might be time for some new boots in the end.

These look like something forest gump would wear! But again if they last and do a good job, I'd get em

I put the simms studds into my old style Korkers last year. So far so good. they portrude about an 1/8" through the plastic, but the underlying bed of the shoe itself seems to mold to the protrusion without damage.

I tried the hardware store screws - not good - they lasted about 4 trips - and were finished with a walk in FCP on the pavement. However, because they were soft, I could grind down sp they did not protrude. The simms were almost impossible to grind down (using a power grinder too) so I decided to give it a try without.

Well, thanks for the feed back everyone. Considering a lot more options than initially. The more I read about those crampons makes them seem like something really solid but, what a price tag! I like the idea of having something I can remove for the hikes to reduce unnecessary wear and tear. Not sure how long the aluminum bars would last on the boots. So many positive reviews though!

The Simms star studs seem pretty positive too for an addition on my current felt bottoms. A little worried about when I'm walking on paved path ways might wreck them.

Definitly going have to check all these out. I remember when I first got the felts in the riverbed and made a huge difference in how I wade but, now I'm scared dry land and steep hills with those.

Again thanks!

I put the stainless steel screws from rona in the rubber soles of my korkers. They are so hard that they dull a hacksaw blade, but a grinder still takes them down. I just finished my first trip to fish creek park with them. Their still intact with some wear. The studs improved traction greatly, and yet I still slipped and fell once. Man are those bow river rocks just like giant greased ball-bearings.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

Selection of stud material is a compromised between hardness and grab.

Aluminum is soft but grabs the best.

Stainless is somewhat harder and grabs less well

Carboloy studs grab least of all but wear great.

If I was concerned about falling a box of aluminum screws runs <> $0.02/screw.

And somewhere amongst the junk, I have a pr. Of corkers booties. Make me an offer!

Don