Fly Fusion Forums

Finally All Legal

Amen to that, next thing you know it is a chinook day in January and you are on the water with electric socks and taking ice off your rod guides.

Just remember even if you don't get one the first few times out enjoy the experience. Lots to enjoy even without catching a fish although it does make the day a little better usually.

Guest Grinr

I dont think there is a better place in Canada, than Calgary to get a start into the sport! Enjoy!!

Other than the BC coast,can't argue that too much,Calgary gotta be a close 2nd?

Well in looking at it as a whole combination of things for the rookie into perspective, I think, for the newcomer who is a member of this forum, who has hundreds of folks who would probably show him the ropes a bit, I stand by my statement. Calgary is #1. If it's just BIG fish you need to introduce you and hook you to the sport... yeah no place like the BC Coast, for sure. Left my heart out there in 2009 and I haven't got it back yet ... :)

Guest Grinr

Sorry,I guess I was thinking more in terms as a flyfishing paradise,pretty hard to beat the west coast for year round opportunities,1/2 dozen searun salmonid species,stillwaters,temperate climate etc.....basically everything S.AB has and then some....minus the jobs. :(

Now if only I could figger out how to be a full time salmon bum with a gas card.....sigh.......maybe after the kids are grown and gone??

I'd like to retire someday up in the Skeena system but I know my wife wouldn't go for it. The closest Walmart to Terrace is in Prince George last time I checked. She'd skin my hide if I dragged her out there for some fish, so I'll have to be happy with the Alberta version of steelies... :)

• Like 1

I'd like to retire someday up in the Skeena system but I know my wife wouldn't go for it. The closest Walmart to Terrace is in Prince George last time I checked. She'd skin my hide if I dragged her out there for some fish, so I'll have to be happy with the Alberta version of steelies... :)

He He tried to pull the same thingon the wife but the grand rugrats are here so SOL.

you mean, other then the walmart that's in terrace?

Back to the topic...I remember my first time out when I took up fly fishing, I was stoked too. And I also remember the 2nd, 3rd, fourth, fifth and 6th trips because stoked or not, I got skunked every time. This is the reality of starting out by yourself and learning the hard way without anyone else or a fishing forum. Very humbling. AFter 5 times skunked I was less stoked.