Fly Fusion Forums

Hiking And Fishing

I was wondering when you hike in the Summer do you bring your waders on top of all your gear or is the water warm enough in this. I'm an east coaster and the water is never really warm enough to walk all day. And is there any prime, yet not your secret places, worth a good old hike to catch a few trout at?

I second what Paula said. If you have a GOOD backpack (think Mountain Equipment Co) you can actually haul a good amount of gear and it will not be a strain.

Now if you are just talking about sort of hiking along a river fishing, depends on the day! Sometimes I go in my shorts in mid sumemr but most of the time I use my breathable waders, that mountain water can be very cold in the morning!

As far as places to go, there are so many great little streams in alberta it would be hard to list them all. Anything in the entire oldman river drainage (oldman, livingstone, dutch, racehorse, vicary, daisy) are good. highwood & cataract creek are good too. Farther south the castle and tribs are goo and the crow is a bit more challenging but a lot of fun, especially mid June'ish right after runoff.

Good luck out there!!

My wife and I hike into remote mtn lakes a lot during the summer. You are welcome to PM me and I'll provide you with some info on gear, etc.

Not worth bringing waders, etc. as most fishing is done from the bank but depending on the outside temp you can definitely wet wade for brief periods of time.

P

Depending on the expected temps and where your going is usually what dictates what I wear. I recommend buying a pair of wading socks and ditching the waders on those hot days or big hikes. Your feet will stay a little warmer than just normal socks and you won't have to lug around your waders/boots.

My 2 cents.

Plumeja,

Are you looking at hiking to a mtn lake to "camp"? Or just day trips? There are some specific regulations/restrictions that you would have to consider if you are interested in "camping", depending on what experience you are looking for...

P

I would not bother with waders in the SW of the province in the summer. The water is not that cold. Spring is for waders down here. Best bet is wet wading with some high quality wading boots.

I use my waders in spring, sometimes fall depending on weather, and winter for sure with layers. I often use river pants in summer or shorts but usually have the waders in the truck or in the boat in case.Sounds like being new to the area you want to pound the water in the free time, so as other members have said, buy the best you can afford, and always shop around. Often there are spring sales.

I use my waders in spring, sometimes fall depending on weather, and winter for sure with layers. I often use river pants in summer or shorts but usually have the waders in the truck or in the boat in case.Sounds like being new to the area you want to pound the water in the free time, so as other members have said, buy the best you can afford, and always shop around. Often there are spring sales.

The Op asked

`` I was wondering when you hike in the SUMMER``

Have a couple pairs of waders that i use in the shoulder seasons. One winter neopreme and a pair of the Simms g3 guide pants. Not new to the area, live in the Pass. If he is hiking thats weight i would not want.

Guest Grinr

If you found the east coast to be cold,yer gonna shrink yer boys off here bro.I did a fair bit of wet wading in NB,the mountain streams stay cold here later into the summer than back east.

• Like 1

I try to avoid wearing waders if i can but there are some places, like upper old man or elbow lake, that its just to cold and i tried my damnest in elbow lake, old man you could probably do it but you wouldnt enjoy it. if you stay lower like castle falls area or livingston you would be ok, ive never worn waders in those rivers.