Fly Fusion Forums

Some New Zealand Video

DaveJensen

I figured that the Calgary crowd might be in need of some warmer, fly fishing thoughts with this snowy stuff. This video is just to share some neat moments in time, snapshots of engaging fly fishing in New Zealand. What you don't necessarily see and what each scene represents to us is the work, the planning, the 'best guesses', the time to plan shots, the time to explore (often fruitlessly but that is the point of exploration)... all these that culminate in that moment while totally lost in everything that is the New Zealand back country. Just 4 minutes of a few neat scenes. :)

Make sure to watch in HD too.

Cheers!

Click here if the movie does not play.

I think the 3:30ish mark is my fav. Dave did you sneak up that close to that fish, or did it move into position beside you?

Great shots, well planned, nice edits, love how most of the focus was on the fish and the take.

Looks like a snorkel might have been handy at 1:30.

When you headed back?

That swimming footage is an old favorite from our 2nd trip. But such fond meomories! 8lb brown hooked up, it then swam across and wrapped around and between two rocks - the line wouldn't come free. The fish was jumping and jumping and wouldn't break off (2X). So, had to cross and unhook the line. Oddly, I was able to wade waist deep water on the first crossing. The way back... not so shallow! (might not have been looking too closely) I had a camera in my pocket too. (we dried it out and it did actually work again).

That smaller brown that took beside my left foot. As you know, approach is king and I had taken 4 min to move into position actually targeting a larger fish in the flat above. I was dead still a few minutes while waiting the larger brown to pop once again, and saw a tail flagging in a sunbeam beside me at the tail out. I figured to have a go and swung the flies a few feet above that fish. I had no idea it would be as energetic as it was - about 3 1/4 lb too boot. Chump change for NZ, but AMAZING for where we were and how it transpired which is what made it so cool. If you look closely, when I set the hook my rod rips through the willows - lucky not to break it on the set.

And there's a bit of vide closer to the start with AJ casting to a brown. Her cast looks like crap from casting a HUGE cicada and HEAVY nymph. It chugged out there and got smoked. We included that vid because that day was amazing - I'm sure we landed 15 browns and all over 5 lb - up to 9.5. After her fish as shown, we took the nymph off. It went well.

Glad you enjoyed.

Cheers

Great video as always Dave.

For the rest of you that like this video so much, if you haven't already bought the Sight Fishing dvd it is literally an hour of equal quality footage...definitely a good video to get through the colder months...

Glad you all enjoyed it! :)

The Sight-Fishing dvd is available @ Fish Tales & Bow R Troutfitters shops in Calgary.

Working on a submission to F3T. We missed the cut-off to IF4 simply because of the mid-Sept due date, unfortunately. No time in the season to get the concept complete by then. Not sure we're in the same class as some of those great productions, but the point is to engage, learn, and try your best.

Cheers