Fly Fusion Forums

Good Waterproof Camera For Fishing?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could suggest a good underwater camera for taking fish pictures. I have seen some cool underwater pictures on this forum and was wondering if anyone could suggest a good camera. I am going to Belize in a few weeks and am looking to take a good underwater camera so I can take pictures of the cool fish I catch as well as underwater pictures while I am snorkling.

Suggestions are appreciated

Thanks

Connie

I have the Panasonic TS-3 - one of the higher end ones that takes good pics and their automatic mode usually picks some good settings. Only real drawback is that there's no slider on the lens so you have to make sure it's clean before you shoot.

x2

I was considering the Pentax Taco suggested but after borrowing tightline's on our canoe trip last year the photo quality wasnt great, i went with the Panasonic seems great thus far.

P

I have the Panasonic TS-3 - one of the higher end ones that takes good pics and their automatic mode usually picks some good settings. Only real drawback is that there's no slider on the lens so you have to make sure it's clean before you shoot.

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could suggest a good underwater camera for taking fish pictures. I have seen some cool underwater pictures on this forum and was wondering if anyone could suggest a good camera. I am going to Belize in a few weeks and am looking to take a good underwater camera so I can take pictures of the cool fish I catch as well as underwater pictures while I am snorkling.

Thanks

Connie

I'm assuming you'll be using in saltwater so you should do your homework as to which one to pick, the Pentax is pretty good from info I received few a couple of friends that have used them.

Check out the reviews at. www.dpreview.com that should get your research started

My wife picked up an Olympus Tough Guy (TG) for me with some reward points. I think mine is the entry 310 model. It works okay out of the water but seems to work really well under the water. I've not abused it too badly but I've submerged it several times, dropped once from a little higher than I would have liked and it still seems to work fine. The battery has served me well. Connects to the macbook without issues, etc. I'll see if I can shrink a couple pics down and post them.

post-4645-1344797402.jpg

post-4645-1344797456.jpg

post-4645-1344797463.jpg

I bought the first olympus underwater camera and still have it and it works great still, Its been dropped of second story balconies and is still water proof. Ive used it for lots of saltwater snorkeling as well. When I upgrade ill stick with olympus.

Hi Connie,

I have been shooting with generations of Pentax waterproof cameras and I like them. IMO, most UW cameras perform poorly in low light conditions. My Pentax makes brilliant UW photos when the lighting is good (and water is clear). It is also related to ISO, which at and over 400 results in low quality/noisy photos.

The Olympus TG-1 iHS received some great reviews and due to the expandability options it is a promising camera(a bit more expensive though). One advantage of this camera is its fast lens (f2.0).

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/...sp?product=1621

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will be using this is salt water so I'm wondering how people who use these types of cameras in salt water take care of them? If you rinse them after having them in salt water does it help to keep them working longer?

I just rinse it off with freshwater after wards and open and close the lens cover with water running. Mines been used in saltwater many times over the last 5 years.

i had a pentax and also used it in salt water with no issues. I didnt even rise it just wiped it with my towel. I am also looking for a new one i am leaning to the panasonic as it seemed to have the best reviews for low light and image quality but still havent decided. I know that low light has always been the problem for these types of cameras.

My main complaint with all underwater cameras is the difficulty to actually see what your taking a picture of. The LCDs are mostly useless and a viewfinder is hard to use with a mask on. Maybe they have improved on this recently?

My main complaint with all underwater cameras is the difficulty to actually see what your taking a picture of. The LCDs are mostly useless and a viewfinder is hard to use with a mask on. Maybe they have improved on this recently?

Pretty much still a problem! The best view can be achieved putting one's head into the water so one can look at the LCD perpendicularly. :) Not that easy when one fishes alone.

I wish they start to produce also UW cameras with flip-out LCDs.

I’ve got the Olympus TG-810. I wouldn’t recommend it. Pictures underwater at OK, pictures above are not so great. The GPS is barely usable. I’ve dropped it many times or bounced it around in a canoe or pack and it really does hold up well. I like that it has an auto lens cover.

Hi,

Thanks

Connie

I have a simple Olympus Stylus Tough, 5 foot shockproof and 10 ft waterproof. Bought it for a trip to Belize 2 years ago and it did well. It is a good all round camera but keep in mind making menu adjustments are a little harder due to adjusted controls to keep it waterproof. Over 1/2 hour at a time in the water and no problems. Still using it for fishing here but it is awkward to take that underwater shot when you are also trying to land a fish.

Enjoy.

I own a Panasonic Lumix TS2 and it's awesome. A bit pricier than most but worth it. It's my second Lumix and I've never had problems with either of them. I bought the waterproof one specifically for fishing. used it in the ocean, on the river and in the pool. Pics turn out every time.