Fly Fusion Forums

'hook & Hackel' Club Or Other Members?

http://hookandhackleclub.tripod.com/

I was reffered to this club, and for $50 I'll join if only to use the library. Casting lessons, Tying courses & getting a chance to 'chew the fat' with some Calgary Fly Fishers all included. I'm just wondering if anyone here is a member or a member of another club.

I've lived in Calgary most of my life but I've honestly never been past the parking lot of Fish Creek Park. Where abouts at Fish Creek do all the 'Cool Guys' fish? Or is it a stupid question? Like I said, never been there. Someone suggested I look into a "mentor program" at a local club. I'm wondering if anyone knows about one? If not, it sounds like its already occured through this site, unorchestrated. I'd much rather pay Joe Schmoe some bucks, or buy him some chow & Drinks for help then have to worry about 'lessons'. Just a thought.

I think I'd just like to watch some people who know what their doing, Like these guys

FunnyPart-com-fishing.jpg

fish-love.jpg

There are all brands of people on here PlayDoh, Young, Old, Drinkers, Smokers, Easterners, Westerners, Americans and blah blah blah.. but we all have one thing in common, the love of fly fishing and I'm sure most of them would be more than willing to take you out and show you the ropes..My suggestion is to put up a post in the "fishing get together" section a few days before you know your available to fish...you'll get some strikes--pardon the pun.. Don't get discouraged though..not everyone has the social gumption to jump at the chance to fish with a stranger..and for most people the season has just come to an end with the colder weather (this is far from the truth, fish year round, you won;t be sorry) ..so you may not get as much feed back as you want..

as for the Club..I don't belong to one..I participate in events and get togethers on here when I can, and have met alot of great people...and learned plenty from just reading..

and if your up @ 2:24 Saturday morning, posting on FFC ---- you'll fit in just fine ---

lol, I keep waking up in the middle of the night setting the hook after that monster bite, while I'm dreaming. SLeep is no escape.

I know my timing couldn't be worse, and my work is up and down lately (mostly down recently) which is why I can't really make any plans for the rest of the month. However I'm in no panic to 'learn it all' or catch big, long or really any trout this year. I've read a few book suggestions on here, and I'm gonna grab a few and see what else I can cram into my head.

I'm heading out tomorrow to my spot up from the Caresland weir, so if your up there and see a guy with a white dog, Grey Tacoma, and a Trout necklace ;) its me.

I was reffered to this club, and for $50 I'll join if only to use the library. Casting lessons, Tying courses & getting a chance to 'chew the fat' with some Calgary Fly Fishers all included. I'm just wondering if anyone here is a member or a member of another club.

I've been a member for about 5 yrs now. You are right about the library being worth the priced of admission. Plus, you get a 10% discount at the Fishin Hole (Thanks, Bill). I get my $50 back every year right there.

The best thing about the club is their "Fish outs". The members camp at designated spots throughout the year and there is something about camping with a bunch of fly fishers that appears to me. Nothing breaks the ice better then a day flyfishing followed by a few pops around the fire.

I am also a member and I find the activities they put on are great, it is very educational to watch a very talented tyer, and it is also interesting watching a few of them and listening to the tying tips they give each other. Plus they have put on rod building courses, brought in great guest speakers, and do the social event thing too. Well worth the $50.

Hey Silver. Glad to hear you joined. I won't be able to make tomorrow's meeting (gotta catch the red eye to Ont.) but I look forward to seeing you at future meetings.

Rickr. I would say the club is less then 25% tying. I've done very little tying there. More BS'ing then anything. You walk around, peek over someone's shoulder, ask them what they are tying and why. Thats all it takes to get stories of what water/conditions it works under, etc.

Like any club, it takes a while to feel comfortable showing up by yourself but keep coming back and it doesn't take long before you get to know everyone. I liken it to this FFC forum (friendly) but you actually get to talk to people face to face. All flyfishing, all the time.

Sounds great, I'll be a member soon for sure. I'm pretty shy at times, but I'm sure I'll feel right at home among fellow fly freaks. :P

Thanks for sharing your opinions and accounts Hydropsyche & Trailhead, and I hope to see you there soon.

Drink some beers, tie some flies and watch the hockey game. Its a good time.

Add some naked women and you have heaven on earth.

• 3 weeks later...

i went to my first meeting last night and really enjoyed it. i didnt know it was tie and donate night but i did have my boxes with me so i at least managed to donate 7 flies.

it was nice to meet hydropsyche in the library. i guess it will take some time to get used to 'hey you're ladystrange arent you' why yes i am. lol

interesting group of people and they were all willing to talk about flies and what they were doing.

see ya in a few weeks

anyone need a date to the christmas party???

i went to my first meeting last night and really enjoyed it. i didnt know it was tie and donate night but i did have my boxes with me so i at least managed to donate 7 flies.

it was nice to meet hydropsyche in the library. i guess it will take some time to get used to 'hey you're ladystrange arent you' why yes i am. lol

interesting group of people and they were all willing to talk about flies and what they were doing.

see ya in a few weeks

Missed yesterday's meeting, had to work late. Should see you next meeting. I have a peg leg, one eye kinna funny looking and walk at a 45 degree angle. Shouldn't be hard to spot.

I would join if I was in Calgary.

I have a ton of respect and admiration for the H&H club. On very short notice the H&H club, without knowing me and no reason to trust, lent me 30 fly tying vises and materials to teach a beginner class.

It's groups like these that need support to keep our youth involved in fly fishing. I would recommend everybody take some time and swing by... it'd be a great investment.

Cheers,

I didn't know either. I was lucky to make it out, even. I'll bring my donation next meeting (not that I feel compelled to, its just that I have way too many flies I could ever use/lose)

I took a wild guess. Glad to see you there. I hope you felt welcomed. I would have chatted more, but since its been a while since I attended a meeting, I had some catching up to do with other members. Everyone wants to tell you about their summer and a couple of hours is not nearly enough.

see ya in a few weeks

I plan on going to the christmas party but I'll have to take my wife. Otherwise.....

Guys. Take her up on her offer. She's a looker! ;)

aww. you're a sweety. i looked like hell. it was an impormptu attendance and didnt have time to get home, have a shower and change. i did have a great time. talk more next time

doc, hope to see you. i'll keep an eye out for the guy walking on a 45.

maybe next time, i will get a chance to pop downstairs and watch the beginners fly tying lessons. (birchy, new set of classes start in january - i believe)

Not a member as its a bit of a trip for me from Canmore although I have been thinking about it..... Is there a minimum amount of sessions you have to attend in a season? I just ask because its more then likely that if weather and schedule are bad I would miss quite a few. Also what night do you usually meet on? Always Wednesdays?

Oh and Ladystrange if you get stuck for a date call me I will save you the social ackwardness of being dateless at the Ball..... And instead supplement it with the awkwardness of me stepping on your toes all night(read pray for no dancing)..... Let me know whether to press the white or the black Tux ;) Zoot suits are still cool right? http://www.suavecito.com/Zoots.htm

This would be me by the way http://www.suavecito.com/images/Suits/Pink_Zoot_Suit.jpg

once i stop laughing i will address the zoot suit.

meetings are everyother wednesday. 1st and 4th of every month except in the summer july aug. they do welcome guests at no charge to come for a meeting. there are no minimum meetings you have to attend

not that i am ever socially awkward being the social buttefly that i am. although the older generation has no idea what to do with this 30ish girl running around talking to everyone, they seem to relax once they realize i can hold up my end of the conversation. i would go alone but would rarely end up sitting by myself

LF, if you are serious about going to the dinner, that would be great, i promise not to make you dance if you promise not to where a zoot suit. unles of course you have the same body type and height as Will Smith. so far of everyone i have met only Max only fits that bill. LOL Tahst dpoe YO

Hey easy on the zoot guys :( ..... JK yeah I'm game you'd just have to let me know the date and the dress code. Suit I got Tux I rent, jeans I hope :lol:

A whipped up jitterbuggin' brown eyed man

A stray cat frontin' up an eight-piece band

Cut me Sammy and you'll understand

In my veins hot music ran

You got me in a sway

and I want to swing you done

Now you sailors know

Where your women come for love

Zoot suit riot

Throw back a bottle of beer

Zoot suit riot

Pull a comb through your coal black hair