Fly Fusion Forums

Best Reel In The $200-$300 Range

I know we've done reel threads before, but I asking something a little more specific, because I am limited to the models below:

Knowing that there is a sale coming up (somewhere I can't mention, because its a non FFC sponsor), what reel would you choose between the following:

1) TFO BVK

2) Sage 2000 Series

3) Sage 4200 Series

4) Redington Rise Series

5) Redington Delta

6) Madison II by Montana Fly Company

7) Amundson Trend or TXS reel (cheaper models)

With the little research I have done, if I had to choose today, it would probably be between the TFO BVK's versus the Sage 4200 Series.

Thoughts? Comments?

Smitty

Guest JBear

dont go rise, i hate the ones i have, maybe its just a bad batch or something. If you decide to with the montana II let me know. Im curious about those.

None of them (except maybe for the Sage 4200 series)!!

They are all too heavy (or just crap)! Except for maybe the Sage 4200 series. I bought Deb the Sage 4250 in the winter for her 5 wt (but she hasn't got around to trying it yet, so I cannot comment)...

You can find a Bauer Superlite M2 on Ebay for around the $200 mark. Made in the USA and lifetime warrantee!! I've heard good things about the Hardy Ultralite, as well (though they are made off shore like all the ones that you listed)...

P

I picked up a Lamson Konic this spring and love it, has the same drag as their more expensive reels for a lot less $$$. The finish on the reel could be more eye appealing but overall its a great reel.

-sigh-

now I am chuckling; perhaps I can get the store to special order Lamson's or Bauer's, hopefully they'll get there in time for the manager to discount them for me, lol.

Look, I know what you guys are saying but I prefer to get them from the store and not deal with Ebay, US shipping, etc. The store I deal with has excellent customer service. I am prepared to wait for the sale because right now I have some old (from the mid 90's) Orvis Battenkills, just looking to sell them eventually and get something from the 21st century that has a large arbor and is lightweight.

So anyone else have experiences with the reels...from. the. list? :P:rolleyes:

:cheers:

Smitty

Sorry for straying from the list, I think we who did stray from the list are probably in the same mindset in thinking that you shouldn't limit yourself to a small selection of reels just because they will be on sale in a couple months. You should find the reel that you like and gives you the best bang for the $$. Just my opinion.

Maybe the advise you are receiving about purchasing or at least considering other reels is worth heeding. I have an old bauer lm2 and the thing is great. Also got a very nice Islander from a fellow ffc member at 1/2 the list price because it was used (no not hot) that I really like.

Anyhoo... go with quality cause at the end of the day that is what will last. And eventually, if you decide to sell, it will hold it's value a little better than the latest flashy offshore reel.

And yes I have owned offshore reels too...

My .02c

Well I do appreciate everyone's perspective's; I didn't think I had limited the choices that much with 4 brands and 7 reels. Clearly, some of you don't like any of those choices, which truly does surprise me. You'd think once you get into the $200-$300 range its a good bet you're buying a decent reel. I played around with those models at the store, they seemed pretty good, especially the BVK and the Sage 4200 Series. I did like them.

And fundamentally, the advice is sound - get the best reel for the buck. Just surprised that few or none in that list would qualify, based on a lot of the opinions thus far.

Thanks for the advice!

Smitty

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

I would go with any of the SAGE products over the TFO or Amundsons. Bang for your buck you are going to be hit with much higher markup on the lower end companies trying to masquerade in the quality market (for reels that is)! I will also NEVER get another Amundson product because after 3 months the drag is GARBAGE and it should not NEED warranty every year.

hope you get something good and that lasts

Guest NamasteMushroom
None of them (except maybe for the Sage 4200 series)!!

They are all too heavy (or just crap)! Except for maybe the Sage 4200 series. I bought Deb the Sage 4250 in the winter for her 5 wt (but she hasn't got around to trying it yet, so I cannot comment)...

You can find a Bauer Superlite M2 on Ebay for around the $200 mark. Made in the USA and lifetime warrantee!! I've heard good things about the Hardy Ultralite, as well (though they are made off shore like all the ones that you listed)...

P

Too heavy.

Go the gym.

Smitty,

What rod are you planning to match the reel to and what will be your primary use of the reel?... Streamers, dry fly, nymphin do you plan to use on the bow, lakes, high country streams?

Good question. I intend this reel to be my "go-to" reel for the 5-6 weights that I own. So, with the excpetion of using my 3-4 weights for the small streams, I pretty much intend to use this reel all the time on lakes; floating line techniques to trolling type V-VI lines. For the rest of the time in flowing waters, I'll be using it for larger rivers like the Bow and the Oldman.

So it will be part of my main set-up for lakes and those larger-type rivers.

Thanks for the question.

What about an Islander IR3? Comments on that one, anyone?

Cheers,

Smitty

Guest NamasteMushroom
Good question. I intend this reel to be my "go-to" reel for the 5-6 weights that I own. So, with the excpetion of using my 3-4 weights for the small streams, I pretty much intend to use this reel all the time on lakes; floating line techniques to trolling type V-VI lines. For the rest of the time in flowing waters, I'll be using it for larger rivers like the Bow and the Oldman.

So it will be part of my main set-up for lakes and those larger-type rivers.

Thanks for the question.

What about an Islander IR3? Comments on that one, anyone?

Cheers,

Smitty

I love Islanders - my fave.

Guest Grinr

Not on the list I know,but if I was in the market for a new reel I'd snap up that Sage Click IV in the trading post w/Rio line,a steal @$200 IMHO,but then I do love the sound of a click/pawl when an angry fish is taking you into backing.