Fly Fusion Forums

Bass Pro River Anchor??

Jay, 20 lbs is not heavy enough, a large weed matt in the fall would easily drag that anchor.

Mike

Thats what i was worried about, the 30lb pyramid stops me fine but i wouldn't mind a lighter one. Mind you the way my 30 wore down it might be a nice 25 pounder at the end of this season.

I would error on the heavier side. Rescued a boat on the skeena around hazelton last year. Poor achor placement. The guys were lucky no damage to their boat, only their ego.

I just bought another drift boat down in Washington and the guy gave me an anchor chain which he claims works very well although I haven't gotten to try it out yet. It would be very simple to make and easy to adjust for the different river conditions throughout the year. Heres a link in case you haven't seen one.

http://www.miriverworks.com/anchors.htm

I just bought another drift boat down in Washington and the guy gave me an anchor chain which he claims works very well although I haven't gotten to try it out yet. It would be very simple to make and easy to adjust for the different river conditions throughout the year. Heres a link in case you haven't seen one.

http://www.miriverworks.com/anchors.htm

Chain Anchors do an excellent job of cleaning out and removing those pesky Redds during spawning season.

I wandered about it getting wedged in rocks & not being able to recovered & maybe having to be cut off. To me the pyramid anchor would be easier to recover

That is exactly what happened to me last year. Had to cut it off because it could not be dislodged in the current. Bought a 20lb pyramid for this season. Working fine so far.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

those chains sure rip up the bottom of the river but it will make a great chum line lol

I have always prefered using the piramid type for my pontoons, I have had far less hangups.

The one thing I hate about them is the idea of how many are left behind for one reason or anouther.

I can recall at least 7 different posts where people have lost there 20lbs lead paramids while fishing the Bow.

I realy like that all steel half moon type.

I have always prefered using the piramid type for my pontoons, I have had far less hangups.

The one thing I hate about them is the idea of how many are left behind for one reason or anouther.

I can recall at least 7 different posts where people have lost there 20lbs lead paramids while fishing the Bow.

I realy like that all steel half moon type.

True that,

I lost one last year, where the steel loop pulled out of the lead, and then I lost one when a knot just came undone. Luckily I had copperjonny with me and he likes to swim, so he got that one back and then I found another 30lb lead one, one day drifting.

the river anchor works but you have to have alot of line out so the current can push the hooks down.Not a good thing with a drift boat.You'll start to swing back and forth then your in trouble.Weight is the answer,short rope less scope.

Hey hey!!

I was there, as well and deserve credit for its recovery too!! :P

P

True that,

I lost one last year, where the steel loop pulled out of the lead, and then I lost one when a knot just came undone. Luckily I had copperjonny with me and he likes to swim, so he got that one back and then I found another 30lb lead one, one day drifting.

Guest Grinr
the river anchor works but you have to have alot of line out so the current can push the hooks down.Not a good thing with a drift boat.You'll start to swing back and forth then your in trouble.Weight is the answer,short rope less scope.

Anchor from the bow not the stern,problem solved flatlander. ;)

As opposed to pyramids,which we all know were originally designed by extraterrestrial architects and use alien tractor beam technology to hold your boat in place. :rolleyes:

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?...c=17773&hl=

So you use one? The guy that gave it to me says it stops the boat fast so I can't see how it could be worse than an anchor that leaves 30lb's of lead in the water or that is too light and drags excessively? Technically speaking wouldnt any anchor used during spawning season be a bad anchor?

So you use one? The guy that gave it to me says it stops the boat fast so I can't see how it could be worse than an anchor that leaves 30lb's of lead in the water or that is too light and drags excessively? Technically speaking wouldnt any anchor used during spawning season be a bad anchor?

Not if the spawning is perch.

Guest Grinr

I dont have a boat here at the moment but yes,I've used anchor chains for years,and yes I'd agree that they are no worse and in fact probably even more redd friendly than any style of solid anchor that gouges and digs into the gravel rather than slide over it like a chain mop.

Chain Anchors do an excellent job of cleaning out and removing those pesky Redds during spawning season.

I'd call BS on that statement based on what what I just said above.^^Cmon bud,we're talkin bout a lil gob of chain that lies flat on bottom and has maybe a 2 ft sq footprint distributing the weight,not an 18 ft scallop drag for chrissakes.......and that short rope/heavy weight bizness mentioned previously is nonsense also imho,30lb chain anchor off the bow with 3-5x the water depth for line out depending on current strength will hold ya just fine.

...and that short rope/heavy weight bizness mentioned previously is nonsense also imho,30lb chain anchor off the bow with 3-5x the water depth for line out depending on current strength will hold ya just fine.

Well we re talking drifters which dont have bow mounted anchors, maybe you know better than the guys that make these things for a living and i'll take tungsten's advice which comes from 20 years experience at running boats on the bow.

Guest Grinr
the river anchor works but you have to have alot of line out so the current can push the hooks down.Not a good thing with a drift boat.You'll start to swing back and forth then your in trouble.

Well we re talking drifters which dont have bow mounted anchors, maybe you know better than the guys that make these things for a living and i'll take tungsten's advice which comes from 20 years experience at running boats on the bow.

Fine then,drift boat or otherwise,my question is why not mount your anchor pulley to the bow,keep yourself outta the inherent trouble that comes from doing things bass-ackwards anchoring stern-to the current and be done with it instead of trying to re-invent the wheel?I too made a living on the water for 20+ yrs and run everything from square stern river canoes to skiffs and dories to 65' scallopers and every size lobster boat in between,and NEVER in my life have I seen ANYBODY(with the exception of Bow R. "experts")foolish enough to anchor stern to the current,tide,or wind?Yes by,I might be just another dumb Maritimer me,but me tinks me knows a ting er two bout boats me son.Hell,most you lads doneven knows how to row proper FFS,ye sits facin' the wrong way and rows backwards den drops anchor stern to......Lard Jeezis is no wander mar a yas flatlanders doesnt gets swamped and drowneded??

Fine then,drift boat or otherwise,my question is why not mount your anchor pulley to the bow,keep yourself outta the inherent trouble that comes from doing things bass-ackwards anchoring stern-to the current and be done with it instead of trying to re-invent the wheel?I too made a living on the water for 20+ yrs and run everything from square stern river canoes to skiffs and dories to 65' scallopers and every size lobster boat in between,and NEVER in my life have I seen ANYBODY(with the exception of Bow R. "experts")foolish enough to anchor stern to the current,tide,or wind?Yes by,I might be just another dumb Maritimer me,but me tinks me knows a ting er two bout boats me son.Hell,most you lads doneven knows how to row proper FFS,ye sits facin' the wrong way and rows backwards den drops anchor stern to......Lard Jeezis is no wander mar a yas flatlanders doesnt gets swamped and drowneded??

Well,

First off Pops I'm not your son, my dad isn't a retard.

Second you should start contacting every drift boat manufacturer and explain to them that your backwards thinking has led you to believe that they are all doing it wrong, not just us Bow R. "experts" and how your time on the water, albeit not our western waters gives you the experience that defies what their nautical engineers tell them is correct. Heck you could maybe find yourself in a new job old timer.

Third, dig yourself out of the rock you have been living under and find a copy of Drift boats and River Dories, you can read for yourself that stern mounted anchors have been in use in western river boats for over a hundred years.

For future perhaps comment on what you know, I don't comment on how to loose your fishing job and collect EI for the next 10 years.... I'll leave that to you dumb Maritimers

Well,

First off Pops I'm not your son, my dad isn't a retard.

Second you should start contacting every drift boat manufacturer and explain to them that your backwards thinking has led you to believe that they are all doing it wrong, not just us Bow R. "experts" and how your time on the water, albeit not our western waters gives you the experience that defies what their nautical engineers tell them is correct. Heck you could maybe find yourself in a new job old timer.

Third, dig yourself out of the rock you have been living under and find a copy of Drift boats and River Dories, you can read for yourself that stern mounted anchors have been in use in western river boats for over a hundred years.

For future perhaps comment on what you know, I don't comment on how to loose your fishing job and collect EI for the next 10 years.... I'll leave that to you dumb Maritimers

shiz , god dame you jay , made me spill my morning coffee all over my keyboard with that reply ,

Guest Wrecker

Ya I guess not a big deal to do a 180˚ spin whenever you want to anchor...