Fly Fusion Forums

Skiff Build

with the sale of my other boat I'm gonna try my hand at a bow river boat,not sure why they call them skiffs maybe the flat bow not sure.here are some pics of a model i built.

161jc.jpg

160wm.jpg

157ne.jpg

163vd.jpg

shooting for about 12' in length,floor width of 48"side height of 20" this gives about 16.5" of free board and a beam of 69-70"

plan on mounting a bow mount electric so i dont have to row.

ordering some materials and epoxy,i see more sanding in my future.

I like the looks of that. Especially the side profile.

Which end is the front?

I will be following with interest, but you are not allowed to get your in the water before mine.

Andrew

The rocker as it sits now is 6.75" in the stern and about 3.75 at the bow.i think i'm gonna skinny up the floor at the stern to increase to about 8.i think i'll shave a little off of the tops of the sides at the bow and stern to flatten it out a bit.any idea how much rocker you'll end with on yours?

The rocker as it sits now is 6.75" in the stern and about 3.75 at the bow.i think i'm gonna skinny up the floor at the stern to increase to about 8.i think i'll shave a little off of the tops of the sides at the bow and stern to flatten it out a bit.any idea how much rocker you'll end with on yours?

I'm not totally sure as it keeps changing. My build is pretty free form, but I think I will be pretty close to where you are at, maybe a little less in the stern.

I'll measure it up and let you know.

Andrew

The stitch and glue on the model is a nice touch.

Why dp you want so much rocker in the back?

BK

not sure really how much i need but the boat will double as a lake boat so the back becomes the front ,so waves wont slap as much.

Any idea how much rocker yours has?

I measured last night and I am at about 4 inches in the back. I never had any plans from lake use so I dont know how that works.

Andrew

Thanks guys,

i changed the model a little added a little more rocker to both ends so now 8 in the rear and 5 up front i also changed the flat area in the floor to only 2' then a gentle curve after that, this should help get the sides to bend a little more easily.

model015.jpg

i curved down the sides a bit to straighten the sheer,this will help keep the wind off and getting in and out a little easier.

model014.jpg

model013.jpg

I like the looks of that. Did Roger's book provide any help?Not really but it is a good read.

Did you give any more thought to the chine idea you were considering? Yes, but i would have to build a strong back to hold it.also it may be heavier then fillets and tape.So not gonna do it.

Andrew

yes i picked up some also thanks for the heads up gaffer.

scaled down some weight, each bottle is 250lbs and did a test float.

foam009.jpg

foam010.jpg

Looks like just enough rocker on the transom, the bow end floor is just touching the water.i measured the draft in the middle was 1 1/8" so to scale about 6.75"

Onto the sides,i had my plywood supplier cut a puzzle joint on each end of the ply with the cnc, this saved a ton of time cutting a scarph and trying to line them up.I whetted them out and then coated in some goo and they just dropped together.

foam007.jpg

001wfg.jpg

yes i picked up some also thanks for the heads up gaffer.

scaled down some weight, each bottle is 250lbs and did a test float.

foam009.jpg

foam010.jpg

Looks like just enough rocker on the transom, the bow end floor is just touching the water.i measured the draft in the middle was 1 1/8" so to scale about 6.75"

Onto the sides,i had my plywood supplier cut a puzzle joint on each end of the ply with the cnc, this saved a ton of time cutting a scarph and trying to line them up.I whetted them out and then coated in some goo and they just dropped together.

foam007.jpg

001wfg.jpg

I LOVE the look of that puzzle joint there. I plan on covering up my scaph with some type of stripe, but I would totally rock that joint.

Andrew

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still playing with models,

model007f.jpg

model002.jpg

model004p.jpg

I raked out the bow and stern panels more also changed the curve on the rocker front and back.

i think this ones a winner .......maybe a little too high on the bow rocker but i like it.