Fly Fusion Forums

Dead Ducks Everywhere!!

Hi all ,

Managed to get out on the river yesterday for a bit .......trying some new water , another member and I had a great 2012 opener for us.....well my first cast this year anyhow....It was a beauty day and managed my first hefty Brown and Beauty 'Bow to hand on the ole " Metal Detector" 400 ....( bought that off of here;) Thanks Terrance , I am very pleased with your project my man!.... all of this before retiring to the bank to absorb as much of all as I may and rest my back...... ole Nick was picking them off left right and you know....talk about metal detector :) Awesome day Bro !!

What I'm concerned about is what looks like an avian warzone / massacre site...just downstream of the Ogden area Poop factory , is a tiny trib / creek just slightly upstream of the train bridge on the west bank btween the river and Deerfoot , and Wow .....there must be 50 duck carcasses all throughout this small creek leading and feeding into the Bow ....and that is merely what i saw from the vantage point being the area I had croosed said creek at.... It was pretty erie and I couldnt really shake it..... and I am a Waterfowler through and through....so its like this.....Either someone sat for a morning with a shotgun (highly unlikely), or a flash freeze happened killing a ton of ducks (plausible) ..........or inevitably my fear is chemicals are continuing to be dumped into this tiny creek .....again this is between deerfoot and the river , between the calf rope bridge and the train bridge in Ogden ( near 50th ave overpass) on the west bank.....

What say you ?? I am going to report this , not sure who to speak to , but this isn't right.....whatever it is , is in the mighty Bow as well... and testing should be done ....there are a lot of carcasses through there and is highly unnatural !! May this be considered my first alert and unofficial report to anyone about this....

Can you help me , or please point me in the right direction to solving this !!?! Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

The ducks collect in large numbers in the winter to stay warm below the Calf-Robe, and a type of flu or bug kills them off... it's due to having too many ducks together for too long. No one is poisoning them, or shooting them in the middle of the city. Gross yes, unnatural...not really. Happens every year in the winter in that area. Wait till some of the ice shelfs start to retreat and the gross stuff you'll find

The ducks collect in large numbers in the winter to stay warm below the Calf-Robe, and a type of flu or bug kills them off... it's due to having too many ducks together for too long. No one is poisoning them, or shooting them in the middle of the city. Gross yes, unnatural...not really. Happens every year in the winter in that area. Wait till some of the ice shelfs start to retreat and the gross stuff you'll find

Its true....you can find deads as far south as just north of the Glenmore bridge. Found quite a number of Canada geese there early last year.

I hear ya ....I thought of that as well..............Im just not sold on that , yet........The amount of birds was startling , and that is what is so alarming to me...

I do pray that , is all it is..

This year is nothing as we've had a fairly mild winter so far, last winter there were tons

• 1 month later...

FYI,

Coyotes typically will take food away and eat them in peace; another predatory bird (ie. eagle, hawk or falcon) will eat out the breast and leave the rest of the carcass.

If anyone was to find a "fresh dead bird" this could be submitted to fish and wildlife to be passed onto their necropsy lab for analysis. Do not even bother to send a bird that is all dried out or has been dead for months as this will not be useful to them at all.

• 3 weeks later...